GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Goldeneye (N64)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'GoldenEye 007'.
Wed 10/03/10 at 23:42
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Still an absolute joy to play even after all these years. There. That’s my review for Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64. Oh wait you wanted more? Well I suppose I have no objections to reviewing what is in my eyes one of the best shooters of all time.

So you’re at university being bombarded with coursework and exams and you just need a break from it all to unwind. You could go down the park and take advantage of the nice weather or go see the new Alice in Wonderland movie. Both sound good. Or you could dust off the old Nintendo 64 and try out the copy of Goldeneye your housemate has just brought back with him from home. Sold!

If you’ve ever seen the James Bond movie then you will know what to expect. Most of the levels are ripped straight from moments in the game starting from the opening dam section going right through to the cradle finale, they’re all here. There are also some extra environments throw in for good measure to pad out the single player experience and they feel like they could have easily been fitted into the movie too. Overall the story, while fairly light keeps the pace and narrative flowing well throughout.

Each stage you play in has a select number of missions that usually include picking up items, destroying objects or just making it through to the end all the while dispatching groups of soldiers and enemies along the way. While it is essentially just going through areas and shooting enemies before moving on and doing the same again, it’s still a lot of fun thanks to the excellent control scheme and the overall quality the experience is. I don’t think explaining the Facility stage will ever do it justice, but the first time you jump from the air vent and shoot a guy on the bog is truly satisfying. The range of environments is also nice from the usual generic futuristic settings used in many shooters now. Underground bunkers, snowy drifts, dams, jungles, and even a temple, the list goes on...

All in all there are around twenty single player missions with three difficulties to try out (of which the final difficulty is very challenging) which will last a while and with the exception of the odd level there is rarely a dull moment in the campaign. If you should grow bored of playing alone though, you can then begin to focus on the game’s biggest strength...

Now here is where the game has and always will shine, the multiplayer. Back when the game was released, Goldeneye set a new standard for first person shooters and even to this day the experience is still a heck of a lot of fun.

The levels themselves are always a joy to play in, with Facility and Stack remaining some of my favourites. The options available are enough to keep you happy offering the likes of free for all, teams and one shot kills. Gun sets can be made as hectic or as limited as you like ranging from pistols and machine guns up to the often hilarious combinations of grenades, mines and rocket launchers. Even the list of characters harks back to old Bonds with Oddjob and co. making an appearance.

Playing with two people is okay but the real fun is to be had when getting four people together. Sure there are no bots to join in, but the relatively small and easily navigated levels mean you won’t find yourself wondering around lost for minutes at a time before finding a battle. While it may look like a pretty basic shooter, it’s not until you realise a quick match has turned into a bundle of them and its then you begin to realise it’s addictive nature. Overall the sheer choice and quality of the multiplayer in this game has had me coming back since its release and I for one don’t see that ever changing.

Obviously the game isn’t going to have you shocked and amazed. It is over ten years old after all. However it’s rough edges and blocky characters have a certain charm that something the likes of Halo or Call of Duty could never provide. Seeing Boris with his blurry Hawaiian shirt and square head is funny and the more you play, the more you begin to forgive its visual shortcomings. Whatsmore I challenge anyone not to laugh when DK mode is selected in the cheats menu. Music wise you have very typical Bond like tunes with the original theme playing every time you load up the game which is cool. Explosions and gunshots are loud and hearing the yelps and grunts of fallen enemies is always a good laugh. Remember this is the Nintendo 64 so there’s no voice acting and cutscenes are short and far between.

It’s good fun shooting people around the world online in Halo or Call Of Duty, but there are times when nothing beats sitting in a room with three friends and being able to rub another loss in their face in person. The multiplayer is great fun and when you throw in an entertaining single player campaign you have undoubtedly one of the greatest shooters and perhaps greatest games to date.
Thu 11/03/10 at 10:09
Regular
"And in last place.."
Very interesting read as I got my hands on an N64 a few weeks ago having never owned one before and I'm currently trying to get my hands on a copy of Goldeneye without paying too much for it. Glad to see it still plays well.
Wed 10/03/10 at 23:42
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Still an absolute joy to play even after all these years. There. That’s my review for Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64. Oh wait you wanted more? Well I suppose I have no objections to reviewing what is in my eyes one of the best shooters of all time.

So you’re at university being bombarded with coursework and exams and you just need a break from it all to unwind. You could go down the park and take advantage of the nice weather or go see the new Alice in Wonderland movie. Both sound good. Or you could dust off the old Nintendo 64 and try out the copy of Goldeneye your housemate has just brought back with him from home. Sold!

If you’ve ever seen the James Bond movie then you will know what to expect. Most of the levels are ripped straight from moments in the game starting from the opening dam section going right through to the cradle finale, they’re all here. There are also some extra environments throw in for good measure to pad out the single player experience and they feel like they could have easily been fitted into the movie too. Overall the story, while fairly light keeps the pace and narrative flowing well throughout.

Each stage you play in has a select number of missions that usually include picking up items, destroying objects or just making it through to the end all the while dispatching groups of soldiers and enemies along the way. While it is essentially just going through areas and shooting enemies before moving on and doing the same again, it’s still a lot of fun thanks to the excellent control scheme and the overall quality the experience is. I don’t think explaining the Facility stage will ever do it justice, but the first time you jump from the air vent and shoot a guy on the bog is truly satisfying. The range of environments is also nice from the usual generic futuristic settings used in many shooters now. Underground bunkers, snowy drifts, dams, jungles, and even a temple, the list goes on...

All in all there are around twenty single player missions with three difficulties to try out (of which the final difficulty is very challenging) which will last a while and with the exception of the odd level there is rarely a dull moment in the campaign. If you should grow bored of playing alone though, you can then begin to focus on the game’s biggest strength...

Now here is where the game has and always will shine, the multiplayer. Back when the game was released, Goldeneye set a new standard for first person shooters and even to this day the experience is still a heck of a lot of fun.

The levels themselves are always a joy to play in, with Facility and Stack remaining some of my favourites. The options available are enough to keep you happy offering the likes of free for all, teams and one shot kills. Gun sets can be made as hectic or as limited as you like ranging from pistols and machine guns up to the often hilarious combinations of grenades, mines and rocket launchers. Even the list of characters harks back to old Bonds with Oddjob and co. making an appearance.

Playing with two people is okay but the real fun is to be had when getting four people together. Sure there are no bots to join in, but the relatively small and easily navigated levels mean you won’t find yourself wondering around lost for minutes at a time before finding a battle. While it may look like a pretty basic shooter, it’s not until you realise a quick match has turned into a bundle of them and its then you begin to realise it’s addictive nature. Overall the sheer choice and quality of the multiplayer in this game has had me coming back since its release and I for one don’t see that ever changing.

Obviously the game isn’t going to have you shocked and amazed. It is over ten years old after all. However it’s rough edges and blocky characters have a certain charm that something the likes of Halo or Call of Duty could never provide. Seeing Boris with his blurry Hawaiian shirt and square head is funny and the more you play, the more you begin to forgive its visual shortcomings. Whatsmore I challenge anyone not to laugh when DK mode is selected in the cheats menu. Music wise you have very typical Bond like tunes with the original theme playing every time you load up the game which is cool. Explosions and gunshots are loud and hearing the yelps and grunts of fallen enemies is always a good laugh. Remember this is the Nintendo 64 so there’s no voice acting and cutscenes are short and far between.

It’s good fun shooting people around the world online in Halo or Call Of Duty, but there are times when nothing beats sitting in a room with three friends and being able to rub another loss in their face in person. The multiplayer is great fun and when you throw in an entertaining single player campaign you have undoubtedly one of the greatest shooters and perhaps greatest games to date.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.