GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[?] Memory Limit!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/03/10 at 08:39
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Ok, here is a question for you all to discuss...

Do you think the brain has a cartain limit of information it can store?

I'm sure that there comes a stage where it will run out of space to store memories, knowledge and slow down your thinking speed as there is less room to process the information in your head.

I also wonder what the capacity of the brain is, in terms of bytes, as it must be absolutely huge. Has to run into thousands of terrabytes!

Maybe some age-related, brain degenative diseases exist because the brain is trying to free up space and therefore causing loss? Strange way of thinking but I'm firing ideas to spark debate here!

So, what do you think? (My brain would be the cheapest in a brain transplant...it's been used :p)
Thu 04/03/10 at 08:12
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Dragonlance wrote:
> I know that you loose thousands of brain cells every day and
> brain cells don't grow and so are not replaced! So in other
> words, your largest capacity is at birth and from then on it's
> downhill - whatever your name is ha ha :-D

Just like a PC starts to slow down the minute you start using it - a forever downhill process!

Maybe the Matrix was right all along!

> What are you suggesting HM - a brain defragmenter:-)

If you like :p That would be good - hopefully enabling you to remember things in an instant - instead of having to keep thinking things over, trying to fit together all the pieces.

@Shepps123, I'll take a look at that - it sounds pretty interesting. It's going to be a quiet morning at work, so I wish I could actually access it here :p
Thu 04/03/10 at 02:07
Regular
"Tempus Fugit"
Dragonlance wrote:
> I know that you loose thousands of brain cells every day and
> brain cells don't grow and so are not replaced! So in other
> words, your largest capacity is at birth and from then on it's
> downhill - whatever your name is ha ha :-D
>
> What are you suggesting HM - a brain defragmenter:-)

Well your largest 'capacity' to learn is at birth, and there can clearly be no finite limit that can necessarily be quantified, since some peoples maintain an astounding ability to learn throughout their life. If you compare say the 'dumbest' person in the world with the person with the 'highest intelligence' do you think that they would both have the same capacity for the retention of information, it varys from person to person. Similarly their brain's comprehensions of the world and subjects will be different, such as the 'intelligent' person may be able to fully grasp the concepts and theories of quantum physics, wheres as the 'dumb' person may struggle comprehending basic maths. Slight generalisations but you get the idea.

This reminds me of a horizon episode recently dealing with what makes a genius, it was quite interesting:

Horizon - BBC iPlayer
Wed 03/03/10 at 18:52
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I know that you loose thousands of brain cells every day and brain cells don't grow and so are not replaced! So in other words, your largest capacity is at birth and from then on it's downhill - whatever your name is ha ha :-D

What are you suggesting HM - a brain defragmenter:-)
Wed 03/03/10 at 16:29
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
pb wrote:
> Isn't it that the brain just creates new connections every time
> something is learnt or remembered? The reason for 'forgetting'
> is the breakdown of old connections over time, or something like
> that.

I understand that may be the case, although eventually wouldn't the brain just be one huge connection? Surely there is a limit of the number of connections that can be made!

I think that once a connection is formed, it is pretty permanent (unless damaged by trauma) but I think repeating the learning makes the connection stronger (so as to make it readily available for later usage).

> I'm not sure if it's as simple as making one connection destroys
> another.

At least that could be considered a good thing :p

@Warhunt - I shall do some researching when I get back - unfortunately it takes a minute to even register a link-press on this machine at work :/ I could be here for weeks :p
Wed 03/03/10 at 13:43
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
It's beyond our reasoning to understand the limitations of our own computing units though so it will never be properly answered. There are some examples of other animals in our vast kingdom forgetting things in order to learn new things though. So...

If I remember it is widely accepted (or maybe not so widely) that there are two types of intelligence. Crystal and Fluid Intelligence. I think on some level the studies go into this discussion.

I also remember vaguely that there was a study posed in a comparison of a human brain to the computers we use. See if you can find it, 'cos it seems relevant.
Wed 03/03/10 at 13:25
Regular
"Poison meat for all"
Isn't it said that the human brain only ever uses a fraction of its potential? I'm not sure human beings live long enough yet to fully use it to be honest.

That said, I'm sure it does reach capacity at some point, everything does. I dunno how it'd cope with new information once it does mind.
Wed 03/03/10 at 08:48
"possibly impossible"
I'm not a brain surgeon, but....

:)

Isn't it that the brain just creates new connections every time something is learnt or remembered? The reason for 'forgetting' is the breakdown of old connections over time, or something like that.

I'm not sure if it's as simple as making one connection destroys another.
Wed 03/03/10 at 08:39
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Ok, here is a question for you all to discuss...

Do you think the brain has a cartain limit of information it can store?

I'm sure that there comes a stage where it will run out of space to store memories, knowledge and slow down your thinking speed as there is less room to process the information in your head.

I also wonder what the capacity of the brain is, in terms of bytes, as it must be absolutely huge. Has to run into thousands of terrabytes!

Maybe some age-related, brain degenative diseases exist because the brain is trying to free up space and therefore causing loss? Strange way of thinking but I'm firing ideas to spark debate here!

So, what do you think? (My brain would be the cheapest in a brain transplant...it's been used :p)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.