GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Panasonic Q & A"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/01/04 at 13:22
See what I did there? Anyway, I’ve given in to the temptation and decided to sell my Gamecube for its younger, more attractive sister, the Panasonic Q. She’s more expensive, but with the price comes the features and glamour. Enough waffle, here are my questions, so any Q owners here (I know there are some), please answer.

1)Does the Wavebird and/or any normal GC controller work?
2)Is the Q as quiet as the Gamecube in operation i.e. does it have a louder fan, is the disc drive louder (and if so, does it only occur when playing DVD)?
3)How big is it when compared to the GC?
4)Can you plug an ordinary GB Player to it, or does it have a special one designed for it?
5)Following on from 4, are all the connectors found underneath the GC present on the Q?
6)Does the Q use the same cables as the GC to connect to the TV i.e. the AV composite cable?
7)I remember that someone bought a Q recently, and said it’s best to ask the company you order from (for example, Lik Sang) to mark the package so that you won’t have to pay extra charges to Customs? How does this work?
8)As the Q can’t play PAL GC games as standard, I’ll be getting a Freeloader with it; but are there specific Freeloaders for different countries, eg. A US one adapted to play PAL games, or is there just one that works both ways?
9)Second Freeloader question – obviously I’ll have to use it whenever I want to play an existing PAL game, but is it quick to use? What is the procedure after startup; do you have to insert the disc, wait for it to load, input a code and then change discs, or can you instruct it (say automatically hold down a button) with the Freeloader disc when powering up, and easily change discs without having to go through menus?

Well, that’s all I can come up with right now. Panasonic Q & A suspended for now
Mon 12/01/04 at 12:08
Regular
I got mine from within the UK.
However, on other stuff (controllers, memory cards, other accessories) I've never had to pay it.
I think it's a bit of a lottery as to whether the shippers/customs notice and bother to follow it up.

Some companies will label (for tax purposes) your parcel as a gift, which makes it exempt from import tax. It's a little dodgy, but I'm sure they wouldn't do it if there was any real risk of being rumbled.
Sat 10/01/04 at 18:27
Dr Duck, did you have to pay import/custom taxes whatever on delivery?
Sat 10/01/04 at 00:53
Regular
N64 4 EVA seems to have answered most questions thoroughly, but to add my 2 cents:

I found the Q to be a bit quieter than the cube, but maybe a little on the noisy side with dvds. Not very loud, still quieter than my ps2, but it's noticable...

Size.. I'd say around 1 1/2 times the cube's length and height for the mirrored face plate, but made slightly taller by the handles and display on the top.

Freeloader - yep, the one disk works for any region game on any region console. And I've had a few problems with it not playing some games.
Given that you couldn't sell a second hand cube for all that much anyway, I'd keep hold of it. Better that than find you can't play stuff.

And you can unscrew the feet for the gba player? First I'd heard on that, I was thinking the only way to make it work would be to take a hacksaw to something :^D
Fri 09/01/04 at 01:02
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Ouch!
Thu 08/01/04 at 23:19
So you paid over £400 for it?
Thu 08/01/04 at 23:15
Regular
"Conker the King"
Icarus wrote:
> Thanks for the reply - can I ask where you bought it from, and was the
> import tax paid on delivery, or a bill sent to your address?

Liksang.com
The postman required a payment on the door step!

It was alot but well worth it!
Thu 08/01/04 at 20:24
Thanks for the reply - can I ask where you bought it from, and was the import tax paid on delivery, or a bill sent to your address?
Thu 08/01/04 at 13:37
Regular
"Conker the King"
Icarus wrote:
> See what I did there? Anyway, I’ve given in to the temptation and
> decided to sell my Gamecube for its younger, more attractive sister,
> the Panasonic Q. She’s more expensive, but with the price comes the
> features and glamour. Enough waffle, here are my questions, so any Q
> owners here (I know there are some), please answer.
>
> 1)Does the Wavebird and/or any normal GC controller work?
> 2)Is the Q as quiet as the Gamecube in operation i.e. does it have a
> louder fan, is the disc drive louder (and if so, does it only
> occur when playing DVD)?
> 3)How big is it when compared to the GC?
> 4)Can you plug an ordinary GB Player to it, or does it have a special
> one designed for it?
> 5)Following on from 4, are all the connectors found underneath the GC
> present on the Q?
> 6)Does the Q use the same cables as the GC to connect to the TV i.e.
> the AV composite cable?
> 7)I remember that someone bought a Q recently, and said it’s best to
> ask the company you order from (for example, Lik Sang) to mark the
> package so that you won’t have to pay extra charges to Customs? How
> does this work?
> 8)As the Q can’t play PAL GC games as standard, I’ll be getting a
> Freeloader with it; but are there specific Freeloaders for different
> countries, eg. A US one adapted to play PAL games, or is there just
> one that works both ways?
> 9)Second Freeloader question – obviously I’ll have to use it whenever
> I want to play an existing PAL game, but is it quick to use? What is
> the procedure after startup; do you have to insert the disc, wait for
> it to load, input a code and then change discs, or can you instruct
> it (say automatically hold down a button) with the Freeloader disc
> when powering up, and easily change discs without having to go
> through menus?
>
> Well, that’s all I can come up with right now. Panasonic Q & A
> suspended for now

ANSWERS -

1 yes ALL controllers are universal.
2 I find that mine is quieter
3 Its not much bigger but looks wonderful!
4 Normal player is fine - you have to unscrew the feet though
5 Yes
6 They are slightly different. It does not have the normal European CUBE connection. You can use either a Digital out cable or the normal yellow/red/white AV cables or others if you're technically minded
7 Import tax on the Q is astronomical! I paid £122!!!!! Buy it from an e-bay seller in the UK if you want it cheaper. There are 2 on e-bay at the mo!
8 Not sure. I think they are universal! But not ALL PAL games work. I found that Mario Kart doesnt and nor does burnout 2.
9 Damn easy. put it in the console, it sets itself. screen prompt tells you to remove it and add the game disc as normal. All takes about 20 seconds.

HOPE THAT ALL HELPS. I LOVE MINE. I HOPE YOU LOVE YOURS.
Thu 08/01/04 at 13:22
See what I did there? Anyway, I’ve given in to the temptation and decided to sell my Gamecube for its younger, more attractive sister, the Panasonic Q. She’s more expensive, but with the price comes the features and glamour. Enough waffle, here are my questions, so any Q owners here (I know there are some), please answer.

1)Does the Wavebird and/or any normal GC controller work?
2)Is the Q as quiet as the Gamecube in operation i.e. does it have a louder fan, is the disc drive louder (and if so, does it only occur when playing DVD)?
3)How big is it when compared to the GC?
4)Can you plug an ordinary GB Player to it, or does it have a special one designed for it?
5)Following on from 4, are all the connectors found underneath the GC present on the Q?
6)Does the Q use the same cables as the GC to connect to the TV i.e. the AV composite cable?
7)I remember that someone bought a Q recently, and said it’s best to ask the company you order from (for example, Lik Sang) to mark the package so that you won’t have to pay extra charges to Customs? How does this work?
8)As the Q can’t play PAL GC games as standard, I’ll be getting a Freeloader with it; but are there specific Freeloaders for different countries, eg. A US one adapted to play PAL games, or is there just one that works both ways?
9)Second Freeloader question – obviously I’ll have to use it whenever I want to play an existing PAL game, but is it quick to use? What is the procedure after startup; do you have to insert the disc, wait for it to load, input a code and then change discs, or can you instruct it (say automatically hold down a button) with the Freeloader disc when powering up, and easily change discs without having to go through menus?

Well, that’s all I can come up with right now. Panasonic Q & A suspended for now

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.