GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Far Cry"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Far Cry'.
Tue 20/07/04 at 17:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Fantastic, one of the best FPS I've played since I were a nipper blasting away on the Atari.
Incredible graphics, atmospheric sound, a twisty turny plot and - for once - a nice long single player game that lasts more than 10hrs.
Recommended if you like quality games.
Oh, but if you're using a MAXX PC with an LG dvd drive, you'll need to download a firmware flash from the offical FarCry site to flash your BIOS and update your DVD drive (simple enough)

That is all.
Sat 24/07/04 at 12:10
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Goatboy wrote:
> monkey_man wrote:
> What specs you got on your MAXX?
>
> 2.40ghz Pentium 4
> 1gb Ram
> Radeon 9800 Pro

Cool, cheers for that. My laptop should be able to handle it, except for the graphics cards - GeForce FX5000 - seems a bit below what everyone else uses to run it. Halo ran slow on a low resolution, with shadows and stuff off.
Sat 24/07/04 at 12:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'm not sure they compete against each other that much though.
Both excellent games, but apart from the fact they're both FPS there's a world of difference between them.

CofD - Intense, furious action that conveys the experience of all-out warfare with bullets whizzing, thumping explosions, panic, lightning-fast reactions and squads to help.

Far Cry - Atmospheric, slower paced traditional FPS with cut scenes and a plot that pulls you into the story rather than just "Shoot everything". Creepy, exciting and parts made me jump (Trigens leaping)

They're both faultless games and should be in the collection of anybody that enjoys FPS, but I think they're different enough to warrant owning both
Fri 23/07/04 at 23:48
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
As Godly as Far Cry is... CoD is still just, well.

*Shrugs*

The expansion should be good. And yes, Stalingrad is possibly one of the best levels I've ever played in my life. Ever.
Fri 23/07/04 at 21:51
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Cyclone wrote:
> Will the CoD expansion require the first game?

Yes.
Fri 23/07/04 at 19:33
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Kursk was a disaster zone.

Tank V Tank, point blank range.

Largest tank battle of the war.

Will the CoD expansion require the first game?
Fri 23/07/04 at 19:23
Regular
"A man with a stick"
The new CoD expansion will let you play the same sides you did in the full version, British (in the Italian campaign I think) American (the Battle of the Bulge) and the one I'm looking forward to the most, the Russians (the battle of Kursk).

Kursk itself was a huge armoured tank assault by the Germans who attempted to counterattack the ruskies after they failed to take Stalingrad, the result was the same though, heavy losses on both sides where the Germans where eventually overwhelmed by the Russian numbers. A bit of a history lesson there, but I'm excited at the prospect at playing one of the biggest tanks assaults of the second world war in an expansion pack to one of the best WWII games around.

And on the subject of Far Cry again, among my slight disappointments where the interiors, not so much their design, just mainly because of the fighting that took place between you and the mutant monkeys, or Tigrens. They jump about so much that it's hard hit anything, but the interior levels are suitably atmospheric with some of the finest lighting around. Until doom 3 that is.
Fri 23/07/04 at 15:20
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Goatboy wrote:
> It may taper toward the end
> but still stands head and shoulders above all other FPS bar Call of
> Duty - but that's just for the sheer ferocity of that game.

Yeah, i just got CoD a few weeks ago but WOW, the Stalingrad invasion is so intense, your getting shot at on the boat, you get blown up on the dock, you get mowed down trying to take the hill. Great stuff.
Fri 23/07/04 at 15:11
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
monkey_man wrote:
> What specs you got on your MAXX?

2.40ghz Pentium 4
1gb Ram
Radeon 9800 Pro

All detail on high, water ultra and lighting very high.
Only very occasional lag in heavy jungle with multiple enemies all firing at once, helicopters swooping and jeeps rushing.

Stunning graphics, but not just a tech demo. It's a lengthy, involving FPS with a decent storyline. It may taper toward the end but still stands head and shoulders above all other FPS bar Call of Duty - but that's just for the sheer ferocity of that game.
Wed 21/07/04 at 22:02
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I found it quite hard

I must suck at games now that I don't play them very often
Tue 20/07/04 at 23:46
Regular
" Born to ROCK!"
Just got it recently its amazing. Check out the official ubi farcry forum for lots of additional mods maps and stuff.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.