GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Film] Turistas"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/12/06 at 12:59
Regular
This tale of tourists to Brazil who end up as unwilling organ donors and victims of brutality has been almost universally slated by viewers and critics alike. Hardly anyone seems to like it, the ratings it is receiving are dismal. Heck, even the Brazilian tourist board has it in for the movie. I had to see for myself though. I sat through Haunted Boat and the Wicker Man remake and made it through alive, if not unscathed. Things couldn't possibly get any worse could they?

Well, initial signs are not promising. After 20 minutes I was bored. Nothing much had happened. There weren't any characters I liked. The women were good looking enough, but as characters I didn't really care for them. The male tourists were very much of the shallow lout type that gets Britain a bad name across the world. It's a bad sign when, after 20 minutes have elapsed, the best I can find to say is that the scenery was nice.

Then, hope! A heavily spiked drinking session leads to unconsciousness, robbery, and waking up in odd places - like being tied to a pole and carried through the jungle by some of the natives. Can't say that's happened to me during my hard drinking times. I've woke up in the odd bus shelter or hedge or strange womans bed, but never as a prisoner of machete wielding natives.

Meanwhile, the rest of our tourists, penniless and possessionless, are wandering around seeking help from the uncooperative locals. There's lots of goats wandering around as well. They could always hop on the back of one of those and billy goat their way to safety! Street urchins and scoundrels abound as well. The movie sure doesn't paint a pretty picture of rural Brazilians, though many of em would probably fit right in over in London. Brazil, home to thieves, robbers, and organ snatchers, have a nice stay!

Then whoa....some of the much touted brutality this film has been hyped up for. Only, it's not that brutal. When the first 'nastiness' came I found it rather samey and banal. Nothing new, nothing shocking to anyone who has ever seen a horror film. I dunno why some reviewers have mentioned the shocking brutality. To find this shocking you'd have had to have not watched a horror movie since the 1960s.

Okay, I'll try and be fair here. It does pick up somewhat towards the end. The problem is that by then most people will have given up caring. And the doctors self justifying diatribe - I cut you up and steal your organs because you gringos have stolen/ravaged our country sort of thing - felt much more as if they were trying to justify the reasons behind the making of a poor film than define a characters motivation. Like the rest of the movie, it just felt empty, devoid of all true suspense, shock, or emotion.

A poor effort, I can see why people are slating this. Taking a bad movie which is poorly thought out and adding a few semi-nasty scenes does not make for a watchable experience. It's all too slow, too flat, and too boring. The ending does pick up but it's far too late to make any difference.

I'll put the Brazilian tourist boards mind at rest as well - watching this wouldn't put me off of visiting Brazil. The scenery was the best thing about it.

2/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 18/12/06 at 12:59
Regular
This tale of tourists to Brazil who end up as unwilling organ donors and victims of brutality has been almost universally slated by viewers and critics alike. Hardly anyone seems to like it, the ratings it is receiving are dismal. Heck, even the Brazilian tourist board has it in for the movie. I had to see for myself though. I sat through Haunted Boat and the Wicker Man remake and made it through alive, if not unscathed. Things couldn't possibly get any worse could they?

Well, initial signs are not promising. After 20 minutes I was bored. Nothing much had happened. There weren't any characters I liked. The women were good looking enough, but as characters I didn't really care for them. The male tourists were very much of the shallow lout type that gets Britain a bad name across the world. It's a bad sign when, after 20 minutes have elapsed, the best I can find to say is that the scenery was nice.

Then, hope! A heavily spiked drinking session leads to unconsciousness, robbery, and waking up in odd places - like being tied to a pole and carried through the jungle by some of the natives. Can't say that's happened to me during my hard drinking times. I've woke up in the odd bus shelter or hedge or strange womans bed, but never as a prisoner of machete wielding natives.

Meanwhile, the rest of our tourists, penniless and possessionless, are wandering around seeking help from the uncooperative locals. There's lots of goats wandering around as well. They could always hop on the back of one of those and billy goat their way to safety! Street urchins and scoundrels abound as well. The movie sure doesn't paint a pretty picture of rural Brazilians, though many of em would probably fit right in over in London. Brazil, home to thieves, robbers, and organ snatchers, have a nice stay!

Then whoa....some of the much touted brutality this film has been hyped up for. Only, it's not that brutal. When the first 'nastiness' came I found it rather samey and banal. Nothing new, nothing shocking to anyone who has ever seen a horror film. I dunno why some reviewers have mentioned the shocking brutality. To find this shocking you'd have had to have not watched a horror movie since the 1960s.

Okay, I'll try and be fair here. It does pick up somewhat towards the end. The problem is that by then most people will have given up caring. And the doctors self justifying diatribe - I cut you up and steal your organs because you gringos have stolen/ravaged our country sort of thing - felt much more as if they were trying to justify the reasons behind the making of a poor film than define a characters motivation. Like the rest of the movie, it just felt empty, devoid of all true suspense, shock, or emotion.

A poor effort, I can see why people are slating this. Taking a bad movie which is poorly thought out and adding a few semi-nasty scenes does not make for a watchable experience. It's all too slow, too flat, and too boring. The ending does pick up but it's far too late to make any difference.

I'll put the Brazilian tourist boards mind at rest as well - watching this wouldn't put me off of visiting Brazil. The scenery was the best thing about it.

2/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.