GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Breakquest [PSP Minis]"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'BreakQuest'.
Wed 28/10/09 at 14:45
"possibly impossible"
Memories of Arkanoid, much loved breakout game of the 80’s, have just been resurrected. Why, you may ask? Well, I’ve just been playing the PSP Minis game Breakquest.

Breakout with nobs on
The name gives this game’s heritage away, this is breakout, but breakout not just with bells and whistles, but with a whole orchestra added. The basics are still the same, a paddle is used to keep a ball in the air until you can break all the blocks above you.

Add one amazing arsenal of weaponry, from simple guns, larger balls and sticky paddles to GPS guided missiles and multi-ball mayhem. The weapons are one of the keys to making this game fresh, despite being based on a concept as old as the gaming dinosaurs.

A gravitational pull
The other major change is physics with ‘realistic’ ball physics making this play completely different to the original game and its ilk. Even Arkanoid didn’t feel like this. At first it can be a bit overwhelming while your ball whizzes around like something possessed, but you soon get the hang of the new feel and start actually hitting the ball rather than sadly watching it disappear below the screen.

Paddle Problems
The one issue spoiling an otherwise great game is the paddle control. With the analogue stick it manages to go from 0 to 60 in about 1 second. Not good for precision, obviously. With the cross pad it’s a bit better, though conversely seems too slow at times. There seems to be no middle ground here. Going with the cross pad is the only safe option though and in a way it does add to the strategy of the game.

Balls?
Aside from the control options there’s a lot to like about Breakquest. 100 levels with 3 skill levels and an arcade mode with further challenges to unlock for each level will see this lasting a while. Once the initial frustration is over it can be a fun little game for a small price and a big challenge.

7/10
Fri 06/11/09 at 18:44
Regular
What I found is combination of both controls: when need fast movement, i'm using teh Analog Stick, when need fine movement, use cursor pad. Need some practice but works perfect.

Impossible is possible, stuck on Hard, 10th level now - but i'm arcanoid freak indeed =)
Fri 06/11/09 at 15:05
"possibly impossible"
I did, but it didn't seem to make the analogue controls that much easier, so I stuck to digital.

Plus, they're not kidding with that harder setting, it's damn near impossible!
Fri 06/11/09 at 14:22
Regular
Like this game too!
Did you changed sensitivity to lower values? Really improves the controls. Just finished Easy campaign, lets do Hard after!
Wed 28/10/09 at 14:45
"possibly impossible"
Memories of Arkanoid, much loved breakout game of the 80’s, have just been resurrected. Why, you may ask? Well, I’ve just been playing the PSP Minis game Breakquest.

Breakout with nobs on
The name gives this game’s heritage away, this is breakout, but breakout not just with bells and whistles, but with a whole orchestra added. The basics are still the same, a paddle is used to keep a ball in the air until you can break all the blocks above you.

Add one amazing arsenal of weaponry, from simple guns, larger balls and sticky paddles to GPS guided missiles and multi-ball mayhem. The weapons are one of the keys to making this game fresh, despite being based on a concept as old as the gaming dinosaurs.

A gravitational pull
The other major change is physics with ‘realistic’ ball physics making this play completely different to the original game and its ilk. Even Arkanoid didn’t feel like this. At first it can be a bit overwhelming while your ball whizzes around like something possessed, but you soon get the hang of the new feel and start actually hitting the ball rather than sadly watching it disappear below the screen.

Paddle Problems
The one issue spoiling an otherwise great game is the paddle control. With the analogue stick it manages to go from 0 to 60 in about 1 second. Not good for precision, obviously. With the cross pad it’s a bit better, though conversely seems too slow at times. There seems to be no middle ground here. Going with the cross pad is the only safe option though and in a way it does add to the strategy of the game.

Balls?
Aside from the control options there’s a lot to like about Breakquest. 100 levels with 3 skill levels and an arcade mode with further challenges to unlock for each level will see this lasting a while. Once the initial frustration is over it can be a fun little game for a small price and a big challenge.

7/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.