GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Because my company is a tightass..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/11/05 at 11:59
Regular
...my Boss and I are having to share 1 LAN connection in our office. Here's a diagram of how it works:

[URL]http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?image=connections7rl.jpg[/URL] (hope you can see the writing and whatnot, had to shrink it a little for some reason...)

So, from what you can see from the plan, would I be able to buy a sort of LAN-splitter and an extra LAN cable to allow us to be both plugged into the LAN point and use it at the same time?

I have doubts, as we'd still be on the same router port, but I've never tried this so don't know for definite.

Could it work?
Wed 16/11/05 at 09:14
Regular
Excellent.

Thanks Biggles :)
Wed 16/11/05 at 00:18
"I love yo... lamp."
You don't need anything as fancy as a router. Just a basic switch would be fine. Sure, it won't be clever or anything. Data collision is an issue and stuff, but since we're talking something in the region of milliseconds, I don't think you'll notice.

One switch, three cables.

Cable from computer to switch times two.
Cable from switch to LAN point.

Done.
Tue 15/11/05 at 14:43
Regular
Can't do no ICS/PCI card stuff as the PCs are locked to non-administrator accounts, meaning I can't get into any of the settings needed for all that.

Looks like a router would be my best shot, best see if I can pick one up on the cheap with Petty Cash :)

Thanks anyway, and if someone has a sure-fire, guaranteed solution, don't hesitate to let me know :D
Tue 15/11/05 at 14:07
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
If the goal is to be online at the same time, then could you not set up internet connection sharing via Windows, and network the two PC's together with an extra PCI network card (i.e. current network to your PC, then your PC with extra network card to bosses PC)?

I would have thought getting yourself a router would work fine as well, plugging both PCs into the router, and the router in to your existing network connection.
Tue 15/11/05 at 14:02
Regular
Hmmm.

To be honest, I'm really not sure on this sort of thing, so I best stay well out of it.
Tue 15/11/05 at 14:01
Regular
"..."
I believe it will depend on the type of LAN which you're connecting to. At least that was what the techie guys here told me when I asked them...
Tue 15/11/05 at 13:56
Regular
We could possibly get a switch, but wouldn't that mean we'd stil technically only be on one cable, as only one could be online at a time?

We ideally need to both be connected at the same time, if that'd still work, I don't know.
Tue 15/11/05 at 13:48
Regular
I'm not a network expert, but couldn't you just get a network hub?

Or Switch?
Tue 15/11/05 at 11:59
Regular
...my Boss and I are having to share 1 LAN connection in our office. Here's a diagram of how it works:

[URL]http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?image=connections7rl.jpg[/URL] (hope you can see the writing and whatnot, had to shrink it a little for some reason...)

So, from what you can see from the plan, would I be able to buy a sort of LAN-splitter and an extra LAN cable to allow us to be both plugged into the LAN point and use it at the same time?

I have doubts, as we'd still be on the same router port, but I've never tried this so don't know for definite.

Could it work?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.