GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"England Vs Argentina - your predictions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/11/05 at 19:47
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I say 3-1 to England with Terry, Owen and hmmm...Lampard/Crouch scoring for England.

I stand by my comment during the last World Cup that England stand a good chance this time around.
Mon 14/11/05 at 21:27
Regular
Full game available for download.

[URL]http://www.iranfootballcenter.com/fo...read.php?t=855[/URL]

You\'ll have to register on the forum, but after that there aren\'t any complications.
Mon 14/11/05 at 18:20
Regular
Ah yes, finally found some information. TheFA.com is rubbish, I found it in a neat little column in The Times.

Yes, you're right, March 1st is the next game, at Anfield, probably against African opposition. Then Sven names his World Cup squad, then two more friendlies, then the tournament.
Mon 14/11/05 at 18:08
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Wed March 1st venue and oppponent to be decided.
Mon 14/11/05 at 18:04
Regular
Anyone know who we're playing next and when the match is taking place?

I heard that we've got one game to go before the draw, but the draw is on December 9th, so...
Mon 14/11/05 at 10:54
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Yes, Pro Evo. I'll be off home this weekend though, on Wednesday or Thursday, more's the pity. Or something. Could probably do next week though, if I can fit it into my busy schedule of....playing Pro Evo alone. Yeah, I can probably do it.
Mon 14/11/05 at 10:52
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Stryke wrote:
> So's Poborsky. And Poborsky can play central attacking midfield. In
> real life, not Pro Evo. But probably Pro Evo. And you need to get off
> your knees from in front of Beckham and realise that he is a right
> midfielder. You have a midfield, he goes on the RIGHT. Therefore,
> he's comprable to any other teams RIGHT midfielder. Enough of this
> guff about "He can go anywhere like a rocket man!" - so do
> other wingers. They all roam.

There you go again. "OTHER wingers" - he ain't no winger. I've said before, a winger is someone with pace who'll run down the flanks, try and jink past people, get to the by-line and deliver it. Beckham doesn't, he's not that kind of player. He usually hangs back, and delivers pinpoint crosses into the box when he gets the chance. Poborsky doesn't, he's a winger. It doesn't matter how far up or down the flank you happen to position him, he'll do pretty much the same thing to a greater or lesser degree.

Beckham isn't comparable, he's essentially a central midfielder operating on the right. The fact that he is on the right is contingent, basically it's because he's right footed. The England diamond will be more like that of AC Milan, ie two central midfielders rather than two wide men. Except Beckham won't be filling Gattuso's tackle-anything-that-moves role, obviously, the comparison only goes so far. Interestingly, in my master league AC Milan bought Gerrard. Or rather, got him in a swap deal for Stam. But that's neither here nor there.

> Lampard plays narrow left for Chelsea as an attacking midfielder,
> Nedved does the same for Juventus. They're both attacking
> midfielders, as is Rosicky. But Stevie is a box-to-boxer, the best in
> the world. Hence no comparsion to Rosicky.

Lampard's still more of a central midfielder. He has great attacking ability, but it's not like he has no defensive duties. Nedved has both Emerson and Vieira behind him, whereas Lampard has only Makelele (as Essien likes to get forward too, and obviously Gudjohnsen when he's playing).

> So? They both play the same position in a midfield diamond, the same
> formation England currently like to play (with Beckham on the right,
> by the way), and they have to peform the same function. And Galasek
> doesn't bomb forward, he leaves that to Nedved/Poborsky/Rosicky.

He doesn't 'bomb' forward, but he does get forward. You're right that they play the same role, but my point was that they're very different players nonetheless. Hence the reference to where they play for their respective clubs. The direct comparison is valid here though.

> Not one
> of Real's players are the best in their position in the world, with
> the possible exception of Ronaldo.

I'd say Beckham probably is the best at what he does, but since that's exactly what we're arguing about, try: Casillas, Carlos, Salgado, Baptista, Zidane, Raul. I'm not saying they're all the best, but they're all candidates.

> And, as everyone in here is tired
> of saying into your La-La-La-can't-hear-you ears, Beckham was bought
> for marketing purposes.

Yeah, I've acknowledged that. As I've said, Perez's galactico policy is tiresome as a team of eleven huge egos doesn't win matches.

The point was this: even if he was bought entirely for marketing purposes, he wouldn't have kept his regular first team place for so long, under so many different managers. I pointed to the use of two defensive, distinctly non-glamourous midfielders in some games, Robinho not playing much while Ronaldo was fit, etc. to highlight that Luxemburgo is concerned about results rather than shirt sales. Perez might not be, but he doesn't pick the team. There are also youth team players like De La red and Soldado coming into the frame - hardly star names, are they?

> "Oh, but he's been playiong really well
> this year" - Balls, don't care. Produce the goods for England.
> But, of course, he has. One good game against Greece in the last 5
> years. Ta, Becks.

He carried the team throughout the entire qualifying campaign. Listen to Alan Hansen, he knows stuff and you don't.

How else are we supposed to pick a team for England than by how well players perform at their club? Randomly select eleven Englishmen and use trial and error?

When was the last time Poborsky ever got 8 assists in four games? Oh, that's right, F***ING NEVER.

> Whereas Poborsky was the best right-sided
> midfielder in Euro 2004. Despite being 31. And you're comparing
> Sparta to Real? Great...Red Star Belgrades striker is better than
> Thierry Henry. They've won more European Cups in recent years - it's
> got to be true.

But Real are a club at which success is demanded. There's a real sense of failure that they haven't won anything major in two years. If someone weren't pulling their weight they'd be out, the fans would demand it. These are fans who gave Woodgate a standing ovation when he scored in the wrong net and got sent off in his debut. They know their stuff. Any other club it'd be "Who? He'd better not be in the team for the midweek match."

Whereas Sparta don't have that. Wow, you won the Czech league AGAIN. Must be really hard for you to keep winning that major coveted trophy every year. Oh, you got knocked out of the Champions' League? You must have been saving your big guns up for the weekend match against Arseendofnowehere FC, I'll bet.

> Baros has over 1 in 2, Mikey has just under 1 in 2. This means, to
> anyone, he's more profilic.

Oh, we're just counting international appearances, then? Just as well, I imagine Owen pretty much pwns Baros if you include club form as well. And it'll only get worse, what with Baros under the management of David Nice-But-O'Leary, and getting service from major stars such as Gareth Barry and Djemba Djemba Djemba......Djemba? Yes Djemba.
Mon 14/11/05 at 10:28
Regular
I know you're on the forums, Blanky, and are probably crafting some I'm rubber-you're-glue style response, but I'm off to the gym. Buhbye. Pro Evo sometime still needs to be organised.
Mon 14/11/05 at 10:24
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Here here.

--

Good contribution. Glad your teacher-Cambridge brain is here to aid us in our arguments.
Mon 14/11/05 at 10:22
Regular
Blank wrote:
> Stryke wrote:
> a more balanced midfield (but Poborsky is better
> than Beckham, Nedved better than Lampard and Galasek better than
> King. Can't really compare Rosicky and Stevie - but they're both
> awesome)
>
> You can't compare Rosicky to Gerrard, but you can compare Poborsky to
> Beckham, Nedved to Lampard, and Galasek to King? Get out. Poborsky is
> a winger, and as I've said quite literally a few times before,
> Beckham isn't. He happens to play on the side of midfield. In Pro Evo
> terms, he's an SMF, not a WF.

--

So's Poborsky. And Poborsky can play central attacking midfield. In real life, not Pro Evo. But probably Pro Evo. And you need to get off your knees from in front of Beckham and realise that he is a right midfielder. You have a midfield, he goes on the RIGHT. Therefore, he's comprable to any other teams RIGHT midfielder. Enough of this guff about "He can go anywhere like a rocket man!" - so do other wingers. They all roam.

--

Nedved and Rosicky are both AMF's,
> Gerrard and Lampard are CMF's.

--

Lampard plays narrow left for Chelsea as an attacking midfielder, Nedved does the same for Juventus. They're both attacking midfielders, as is Rosicky. But Stevie is a box-to-boxer, the best in the world. Hence no comparsion to Rosicky.

--
Galasek is a defensive midfielder, but
> he likes to get forward much more than King does. King plays central
> defender every week, Galasek doesn't.

--

So? They both play the same position in a midfield diamond, the same formation England currently like to play (with Beckham on the right, by the way), and they have to peform the same function. And Galasek doesn't bomb forward, he leaves that to Nedved/Poborsky/Rosicky. A

--
>
> And Poborsky better than Beckham? Sure, that's why Beckham plays for
> the world's most successful club in the history of the game, whereas
> Poborsky plays for Sparta Prague. How many times have Sparta won the
> European Cup in recent years? Scratch that, how many times ever?

--

Actually, he turned down AC Milan to go back to Sparta because he wanted to be with his family in his homeland. Fancy that, turning down a bumper paypacket? Shocking, really. And as I'm sure you know, size of the club doesn't always indicate quality of player. Not one of Real's players are the best in their position in the world, with the possible exception of Ronaldo. And, as everyone in here is tired of saying into your La-La-La-can't-hear-you ears, Beckham was bought for marketing purposes. "Oh, but he's been playiong really well this year" - Balls, don't care. Produce the goods for England. But, of course, he has. One good game against Greece in the last 5 years. Ta, Becks. Whereas Poborsky was the best right-sided midfielder in Euro 2004. Despite being 31. And you're comparing Sparta to Real? Great...Red Star Belgrades striker is better than Thierry Henry. They've won more European Cups in recent years - it's got to be true.

--

>
> P.S. Neither Baros nor Koller are as prolific as Owen.

--

Baros has over 1 in 2, Mikey has just under 1 in 2. This means, to anyone, he's more profilic.
Sun 13/11/05 at 23:14
Regular
Not to mention Poborsky didnt make it at united.

Think they used to call him the train or somthin. Fast as fook, but sometimes forgot to take the ball with him :S

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.