GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Importing and shipping."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/11/05 at 06:11
Regular
"8==="
If I were to purchase some DVD's and games from America/Canada what are the chance I'd have to pay a bill from customs?

If I were to order items in bulk (ie shipped all in one go) would the customs bill be any lower?

Do you have any tips for someone considering importing some games/DVD's from across the pond?

Edit: I'm thinking about DVD's that SR don't sell and considering a few games that aren't available in PAL format so this doesn't clash with any sales SR would be making.
Fri 04/11/05 at 20:19
Regular
I've ordered loads of stuff from the USA and haven't been charged.

Where loads = a few items.
Fri 04/11/05 at 16:00
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Tiltawhirl wrote:

> Package came with a note on the front telling me the charges, but I
> never paid it and didn't hear anything.

I think if it's just a small amount they won't really be bothered as they're more interested in big operations.
Fri 04/11/05 at 15:51
Regular
Bullett wrote:
> I've only been hit for Custom's once, by Lik-Sang/DHL. I never
> actually paid it though - no reminders came either and this was about
> 2 years ago...

I had the same with Play.com.

Package came with a note on the front telling me the charges, but I never paid it and didn't hear anything.
Fri 04/11/05 at 14:37
Regular
"8==="
Ouch.

Do I get punched or kicked?
Fri 04/11/05 at 14:08
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
If the value is over £18 and the package is marked merchandise you will be hit. If it is marked as a gift and the value is over £32 you will be hit. The price you pay is usually a clearance fee with VAT tagged on.
Fri 04/11/05 at 10:31
Regular
"8==="
Interesting.

British custom on the mainland is one body right? There's no separate Scottish customs or Welsh customs, right?

Just trying to work out what my options are.
Fri 04/11/05 at 10:20
Regular
I've only been hit for Custom's once, by Lik-Sang/DHL. I never actually paid it though - no reminders came either and this was about 2 years ago...
Fri 04/11/05 at 10:07
Regular
"8==="
Hmmm. So If I get some sent all-together I'll either avoid the customs charge or have it pay a large one when individual packages might mainly have slipped through...

I wonder if Jersey customs bill for non-uk imports...
Fri 04/11/05 at 09:44
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
It's a gamble lets put it that way.
Though I haven't ordered much from them recently, I have ordered quite a few US dvds from dvdpacific in the past, and it seemed quite hit and miss as to whether I'd get charged a customs fee. The last few orders I made with them all got hit, so I'm guessing that if you regularly get stuff from overseas like that you become a marked man as it were.

The thing is, although my dvdpacific orders mostly get hit, they still end up costing me quite a bit less than if I'd have bought them from UK based region 1 dvd sellers, even with the customs charge (it's mainly anime I buy from there, certain boxsets are a heck of a lot cheaper (sometimes by £10 or even £20+) and even regular anime dvds cost roughly £10 as opposed to £15+ from the UK based sellers).
Fri 04/11/05 at 06:11
Regular
"8==="
If I were to purchase some DVD's and games from America/Canada what are the chance I'd have to pay a bill from customs?

If I were to order items in bulk (ie shipped all in one go) would the customs bill be any lower?

Do you have any tips for someone considering importing some games/DVD's from across the pond?

Edit: I'm thinking about DVD's that SR don't sell and considering a few games that aren't available in PAL format so this doesn't clash with any sales SR would be making.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.