GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Getting Worried Vince?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/09/05 at 14:34
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
However, WWE's attempt to control former wrestlers does not appear to be over. The company recently informed both Justin Credible (Peter Polaco) and Billy Kidman (Pete Gruner) that they can no longer use their popular wrestling names on the independent circuit. WWE has also asked the webmaster of Spike Dudley's website to remove photos from his tenure with the company.

And, it doesn't stop with wrestlers. WWE's legal department has turned its attention to Hardcore Homecoming, citing infringement of trademarks and intellectual property. WWE has asked the venues hosting the events for background information on the shows; the company also contacted the distributor of the first Hardcore Homecoming DVD under the similar notion of a breach.

Dear oh dear Vinnie, what's the matter? Getting terrified at the fact there might actually be a bit of competition coming up? Scared that other companies might actually be able to use talent properly instead of wasting them to do the job for the likes of Mazzzzzzzters and Hardcore Holly?

What on earth does making Spike remove pictures off his website achieve?

So it looks like Vince isn't even going to try and compete the way that involves work but instead just use his billions trademarking anything and everything. He'll be trademarking steel chairs next and stopping wrestlers from doing blade jobs and leaving it solely for Flair and HHH to do.

Not too sure what Hardcore Homecoming was infringing as well, Hardcore wrestling? Nope to my knowledge WWE haven't had that trademarked yet, using a wrestling ring? Putting on something that resembles entertainment? Well i know for damn sure the WWE haven't trademarked that last one.

I sense an air of desperation in Stamford.
Sun 11/09/05 at 13:44
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Wouldn't matter if Vince did have the copyright if they changed their names to that. Like they said on TNA in regards to Matt Bentley, they can't stop him using his real name
Sun 11/09/05 at 13:17
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Legendary Link wrote:
> do you think someone could change their name to Vince McMahon then use
> it?

That would be great! Or change it to WWE (sad!)?
Sun 11/09/05 at 12:20
Regular
do you think someone could change their name to Vince McMahon then use it?
Sun 11/09/05 at 12:12
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
genesisofthesith wrote:
> When Terry Bollea left for WCW he legally changed his
> surname to Hogan, so he could use the Hogan name, the prefix of
> Hollywood was used in order to circumvent paying fees to Marvel.
> Similarly Mcmahon has the rights to The ultimate Warrior, but
> "The Warrior" can use that name, because he legally changed
> his name to warrior.

Didn't know about Hogan changing his name!?

Do you think then if the Dudleys changed their names to D'Von Dudley and Buh Buh Ray Dudley they could use them to wrestle under? Or would they not be able to change their names to that because Vince holds the copyright?
Sat 10/09/05 at 13:18
"MMMMM, Chicken"
hogan is a special case. Vince McMahon did have the rights to the Hulk Hogan name, but then had to come to an agreement with marvel to prevent a lawsuit. This left McMahon with the name if he pays Marvel certain fees. When Terry Bollea left for WCW he legally changed his surname to Hogan, so he could use the Hogan name, the prefix of Hollywood was used in order to circumvent paying fees to Marvel. Similarly Mcmahon has the rights to The ultimate Warrior, but "The Warrior" can use that name, because he legally changed his name to warrior.
Fri 09/09/05 at 19:22
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
One of the few (if not the only wrestler) who owns his wrestling name and mabye his images is Hulk Hogan. This may not be that case now however I wouldn't be surprised if Vince has bought them from him.

Vince also owns the trademark "The Rock" which is probably the main reason why The Rock and him are still on good terms as Dwaine Johnson doesn't really have the same ring to it. The Rock has tried to buy it from Vince but unsurprisingly he said no, shrewd really as if the Rock has a long and distinguished film career every time his name is mentioned Vince's bank balance just gets bigger and bigger.

I can't really see the point in holding onto mid carders trademarks though. Ok The Dudleys are still the same people and will still wrestle the same with the sames moves etc but they'll have to use another name or use their real names which will take away some of the edge to them.

However, I imagine if/when they wrestle on the independant circuit the crowd will still chant the Dudleys name even when they are wrestling under new names.

Like to see Vince try and sue the entire audience! Then again I wouldn't put anything past that egomaniac power freak.............
Fri 09/09/05 at 15:01
Regular
"One Man Landslide"
The debate comes from whether WWE actually has the power to restrict them from using their names, because they didn't own them when they were devised. PWInsider has been claiming that Vince could have problems if any of these guys took them to court, but I have next to no knowledge of copyright infringement laws.

But to make someone lose their identity just because they happened to work for one company reeks of all sorts of excrement to me.
Fri 09/09/05 at 14:56
"MMMMM, Chicken"
If they didn't enforce their copyrights though they would lose them, which is why i'm so suprised that its taken them so long to enforce them.
Fri 09/09/05 at 14:34
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
However, WWE's attempt to control former wrestlers does not appear to be over. The company recently informed both Justin Credible (Peter Polaco) and Billy Kidman (Pete Gruner) that they can no longer use their popular wrestling names on the independent circuit. WWE has also asked the webmaster of Spike Dudley's website to remove photos from his tenure with the company.

And, it doesn't stop with wrestlers. WWE's legal department has turned its attention to Hardcore Homecoming, citing infringement of trademarks and intellectual property. WWE has asked the venues hosting the events for background information on the shows; the company also contacted the distributor of the first Hardcore Homecoming DVD under the similar notion of a breach.

Dear oh dear Vinnie, what's the matter? Getting terrified at the fact there might actually be a bit of competition coming up? Scared that other companies might actually be able to use talent properly instead of wasting them to do the job for the likes of Mazzzzzzzters and Hardcore Holly?

What on earth does making Spike remove pictures off his website achieve?

So it looks like Vince isn't even going to try and compete the way that involves work but instead just use his billions trademarking anything and everything. He'll be trademarking steel chairs next and stopping wrestlers from doing blade jobs and leaving it solely for Flair and HHH to do.

Not too sure what Hardcore Homecoming was infringing as well, Hardcore wrestling? Nope to my knowledge WWE haven't had that trademarked yet, using a wrestling ring? Putting on something that resembles entertainment? Well i know for damn sure the WWE haven't trademarked that last one.

I sense an air of desperation in Stamford.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.