GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Big IE/FF Discrepancy List (tm Monkey_man forever)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/08/05 at 20:23
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Ok peeps, thought this would be a bit of "fun". Some of us are happy to accept that Internet Explorer exists, and that a majority of casual internet users have it. And there are some of us that refuse to use it, banishing it to the recycle bin of our minds. So basically just list known differences between the two, pros/cons, etc. I think it'll be helpful, for some reason that I haven't decided yet.

FF doesn't highlight
's, whereas IE does.
IF doesn't center objects correctly - there's always 1px difference if you center a background and a table.

Your turn (don't be too harsh on li'l old IE, MS are still learning...)
Mon 05/09/05 at 19:59
Regular
"Digging!"
monkey_man wrote:
> Argh, I'm beginning to really hate FF. It throws percentages out when
> you go back to a cached page, which doesn't help anyone. I also get a
> message saying "This document contains no data" quite
> frequently when I try to view a page.

That error comes from a timeout waiting for the server to respond, nothing to do with firefox. You would likely get a 404 or this page cannot be displayed in IE.
Tue 23/08/05 at 21:36
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Argh, I'm beginning to really hate FF. It throws percentages out when you go back to a cached page, which doesn't help anyone. I also get a message saying "This document contains no data" quite frequently when I try to view a page.
Fri 05/08/05 at 12:09
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
gamesfreak wrote:
> I dunno if this is just some psychological thing, but doesn't anyone
> feel Firefox loads web pages a bit faster then IE? It seems more
> smooth and crisp compared to the crusty slow Microsoft effort.

Indeed it does, but this is down to M$'s QoS (Quality of Serverice) where the OS assigns x of your bandwidth to thing like MP, streaming etc. It's about 10-20% of your bandwidth. Good news, it can be turned off.
Fri 05/08/05 at 11:48
Regular
I dunno if this is just some psychological thing, but doesn't anyone feel Firefox loads web pages a bit faster then IE? It seems more smooth and crisp compared to the crusty slow Microsoft effort.
Thu 04/08/05 at 23:06
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Hmmm... wrote:
> One thing I don't like about FF, if everytime an update comes out you
> seem to download the whole application and it sticks it's shortcuts
> all over the shop again - unless that's just the way I'm doing it !?

Just a case of unticking check boxes on the install.

My only annoyances with FF is the updating though. Nightmare for those still on 56k having to re download the entire browser everytime.

Going back to the stats though, they do vary a lot to how large the FF penetration is, but until business make the switch, IE will always hold the highest % due to Windows installations in the business market.

Finally uninstalled IE7 last night. The GUI is a joke and all over the place making the browser a total nightmare to use. Will re install when Beta2 arrives later this month, though most of the changes in that are engine driven and not GUI.
Thu 04/08/05 at 18:19
"Are you sure?"
Google find: [URL]http://blog.slaven.net.au/archives/2005/05/03/internet-explorer-memory-usage/[/URL]

But for most people these days memory is not an issue...
Thu 04/08/05 at 18:10
Regular
"NULL"
I meant IE.

I hadn't realised that Ctrl+N didn't do the same as opening IE again. How intriguing...
Thu 04/08/05 at 17:59
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I'm guessing loading up four pages, one after the other, and simply using the Back and Forward buttons to skip between them, bu that'd go wrong if he was to suddenly click a link...
Thu 04/08/05 at 17:52
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I think he means like how FF does it.
Thu 04/08/05 at 17:51
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Nimco wrote:
> How have you got 4 sites open under 1 instance of IE?

By opening a new window under the current instance.
File -> New -> Window
or Ctrl-N
Theres another shortcut to open it to your homepage too although I forget what it is.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.