GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"War Of The Worlds"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/06/05 at 13:19
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
So anyone seeing this when it comes out ? :-) I'm looking forward to it big time ! I was saying ages ago how there should be a remake of this film, and just a couple of days later, I'm looking around film sites and there was news of this one being made !

And just to add to it, the release of the film pretty much lands on my birthday ! The old film is one of my favourites so its cool to have the new one arrive for my birthday. ;-)

I've been watching trailers for it since around Christmas time, but I've managed to avoid seeing this one thats supposedly doing the rounds online that shows the Martian war machines. Don't want to see them in all their glory till I see the film. :-)

Gonna be going on Thursday 30th June seeing as they start showing the film in Basildon a day early. ;-)
Sat 23/07/05 at 13:31
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> There was suspence?

You know what I mean, the bits with no aliens. They're not really parts of the film you can watch again and again. I'm really, really, really hoping the DVD has a button that puts in all the special effects scenes they baited us with.
Sat 23/07/05 at 11:33
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> It all felt a bit "seen this before" to be suspenseful. The
> bit in the basement would have been good if it didn't feel like a
> rerun of the kitchen scene in Jurassic Park.

That's Spielberg for you...

The only thing that I didn't think much of was the aliens. They looked so unimaginative. It's like they went away and watched Independence Day and Pitch Black and thought "that'll do for us" rather than try anything original.

I've never read the book or seen the original so I don't know whether or not they were suposed to look like that, but many other aspects of the movie are apparently very different from the original so I don't see why they couldn't have made any alterations to the alien's design.
Sat 23/07/05 at 11:28
Regular
There was suspence?

It all felt a bit "seen this before" to be suspenseful. The bit in the basement would have been good if it didn't feel like a rerun of the kitchen scene in Jurassic Park.

Still quite enjoyed it, though it was definetly missing any real excitement for the most part. The only bit I thought was really good was the part everyone's moaning about with the camcorder, thought that scene was excellent.
Sat 23/07/05 at 08:37
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I didn't like the aliens, but then again I didn't make the film. They should have gone by the description in the book "big like a bear" or something, and given everyone tophats. Enjoyed it overall, but a second viewing isn't recommended unless you erase all the suspenseful bits from your mind.
Fri 22/07/05 at 23:20
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Just seen this now, 2 odd weeks after I was meant to see it.

Still.

I thought it was really good, I can see how 12 year olds are gonna be scared for life by watching it. I shat myself when I got back to find the downstairs toilet light was on!

Here's a few observations:

'The Day After Tomorrow Meets Independance Day' would have been a good title. The plot was from DAT down to the bone. A huge trek to find the whole family happy and well. Good good. The aliens were from ID too. They even looked similar...

The aliens were good, but I couldn't help but think they were far far scarier before the cross-breeding incident. You can find the father responsible for the 'cuteness' of the aliens if you [URL]http://www.takeshobo.co.jp/image/syousai/ichioshi/chiwawa/chiwawa.jpg[/URL] . Am I the only one who saw this similarity?

The camera thingy was a good scene, but I couldn't help thinking that despite them having a huuuuuuge fibre optic camera that can float perfectly in mid-air, and hear too, that they didn't have any thermal imaging on it. Come on aliens, a heat ray but no thermal imaging?! What decade are you living in?!

Other stuff will come to me later, if I haven't run away crying.
Mon 11/07/05 at 23:26
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Mojo - yeah the shields came about in the 1953 film. I'd prefer the Martians didn't have them to make the battles more interesting. At the same time though you can understand why they add them.

With the films aiming for a modern day setting, it would be hard to make the Martians superior because the sheer number of weapons in the world should beat them.

So it comes down to giving up the modern day setting, or giving the Martians the shields.
Mon 11/07/05 at 22:51
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> Yes but there were no shields in the original book. Were they in the
> 50s film? I can't remember.

Hell yeah - they nuke them in the 50's film, to no avail.

Independence Day to War of the Worlds is Most Extreme Primate to Gorillas In The Mist.
Mon 11/07/05 at 22:49
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Goatboy wrote:
> Single males, long greasy hair and either Red Dwarf or Death Metal
> t-shirts, black jeans and pallid complexions.

Hahahahahahaha, Snuggly knows who I mean...
Mon 11/07/05 at 21:45
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah, it does what it says on the tin.
Low-budget, non-pretentious buckets of blood tosh that you can sit and enjoy with a "Hey I know it's not Citizen Kane" smile.
However, the premiere was at some horror festival in London and, with the ex being a cast member, we went along.
I've never seen a more scary, conform-to-stereotype bunch of people in my life watching the films.
Single males, long greasy hair and either Red Dwarf or Death Metal t-shirts, black jeans and pallid complexions.

Still, life's about experiences.
Mon 11/07/05 at 21:31
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> [URL]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291833/[/URL]
> That's the one.

I remember really enjoying that. Woefully low budget, but it didn't shy away from the gore quota.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.