GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sin City - My Two Cents"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/06/05 at 13:48
Regular
"Me+Live= Sore Fists"
I have goosebumps.

I've got that feeling, that feeling when you know you've seen something special. That feeling that tells you that this isn't just some movie, it's an experience.

Call me pretentious if you like, but this is cinema. It's art. This makes up for every crappy mainstream title that comes out in a month, let alone a year. This is what we wait for, this is what matters to film lovers, to people who appreciate the world of cinema, and the world of art, be it from paintings to cinema to comicbooks to whatever you consider to be a masterpiece in it's own right.

I am of course, talking about Sin City.

I don't want to spoil it for anybody, so I'm not even going to give a plot synopsis here, and I suggest anyone who knows nothing about this film, keep it that way.

You really haven't seen anything like this before. It's visuals are incomparable, this is the world of the graphic novel transferred into celluloid like nothing before it. I said Hellboy was the definitive comicbook film, and not to mock Hellboy, but Sin City hasn't just raised the bar, it's taken it clean out of sight.

The characters are beautiful, tragic, disturbing, fantastic, otherworldly, funny and then some. And the acting, my god the acting. At times hammy (deliberately), and at other times downright incredible, everyone in this film, and I mean everyone is on top of their game.

As a fan of Mickey Rourke, it's a pleasure to see him finally get a huge role after so long. Hopefully this will mark a big return for him.

Bruce Willis is more than just a generic gruff hero, his eyes manage to convey such depth that your hair will stand on end.

Clive Owen, an actor I have no time for, is nothing short of brilliant in this film. Both menacing and charming, his work in this is stellar.

There are so many more people in this film that deserve praise, including of course the directors, Robert Rodriguez, Frank Miller and special guest, Quentin Tarantino.

I could go on, but I've come off as James Lipton enough for one post. Just see this film, you owe it to yourselves. This could be the best film of the decade, and that's saying a whole hell of a lot.
Mon 13/06/05 at 22:04
Regular
As for Hellboy...there were many parts that didn't make sense, except maybe to those who read the comics...something I didn't.

I rate Hellboy higher than Hulk, but it's way down the list for me when it comes to comic book movie attempts. Way down with Batman & Robin.
Mon 13/06/05 at 19:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It was ok, like an adult Cool World
Mon 13/06/05 at 19:26
Regular
*Pence
Mon 13/06/05 at 18:58
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Pringle28 wrote:
> what do you mean plot?! there was no plot! its just an excuse to make
> a lush looking comic book film which it does very well but from a
> scriptwriters point of view it is diabolical.

i have to say i agree.
it's still a beautifully presented film though.
Mon 13/06/05 at 17:59
Regular
"0228"
Pringle28 should be shot.
Mon 13/06/05 at 17:57
Regular
"Catch it!"
Sounds quite good Mickey looks cool in it.
Mon 13/06/05 at 17:30
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
>I don't want to spoil it for anybody, so I'm not even going to give a >plot synopsis here, and I suggest anyone who knows nothing about this >film, keep it that way.

what do you mean plot?! there was no plot! its just an excuse to make a lush looking comic book film which it does very well but from a scriptwriters point of view it is diabolical. The characters have no motivation and are incredibly linear. Their dialogue is tragic and the film has only survived at the box office because yes it does have some beathtaking action scenes and some tasty visuals but it is mainly down to its huge star studded cast who all have minor undeveloping roles. It goes on for way too long and dosnt really fit into the film noir shady genre because their is just too much fighting.

For me the only thing that saved the film was Willis's story. It actually had a little depth and at times had the odd twist of excitement but not enough to justify 2 and half hours of repetetive drivel.
Mon 13/06/05 at 13:48
Regular
"Me+Live= Sore Fists"
I have goosebumps.

I've got that feeling, that feeling when you know you've seen something special. That feeling that tells you that this isn't just some movie, it's an experience.

Call me pretentious if you like, but this is cinema. It's art. This makes up for every crappy mainstream title that comes out in a month, let alone a year. This is what we wait for, this is what matters to film lovers, to people who appreciate the world of cinema, and the world of art, be it from paintings to cinema to comicbooks to whatever you consider to be a masterpiece in it's own right.

I am of course, talking about Sin City.

I don't want to spoil it for anybody, so I'm not even going to give a plot synopsis here, and I suggest anyone who knows nothing about this film, keep it that way.

You really haven't seen anything like this before. It's visuals are incomparable, this is the world of the graphic novel transferred into celluloid like nothing before it. I said Hellboy was the definitive comicbook film, and not to mock Hellboy, but Sin City hasn't just raised the bar, it's taken it clean out of sight.

The characters are beautiful, tragic, disturbing, fantastic, otherworldly, funny and then some. And the acting, my god the acting. At times hammy (deliberately), and at other times downright incredible, everyone in this film, and I mean everyone is on top of their game.

As a fan of Mickey Rourke, it's a pleasure to see him finally get a huge role after so long. Hopefully this will mark a big return for him.

Bruce Willis is more than just a generic gruff hero, his eyes manage to convey such depth that your hair will stand on end.

Clive Owen, an actor I have no time for, is nothing short of brilliant in this film. Both menacing and charming, his work in this is stellar.

There are so many more people in this film that deserve praise, including of course the directors, Robert Rodriguez, Frank Miller and special guest, Quentin Tarantino.

I could go on, but I've come off as James Lipton enough for one post. Just see this film, you owe it to yourselves. This could be the best film of the decade, and that's saying a whole hell of a lot.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.