GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Effects pedals."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/06/05 at 15:12
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I'm a bit out of touch with the market and I'd prefer to keep my lovely old Demon amp than go for a confangled new one with gadgety stuff.

So:

Where do/would you get your pedals from?

How much is a good price?

Is it worth getting new ones or keeping my (ancient) ones which are broken and trying to get them fixed?

Thanks in Advance,
Clazon.
Mon 13/06/05 at 17:01
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Depends what you buy. A distortion or overdrive pedal will simply give you more gain, and perhaps alter your EQ, but they are the cheapest. The more worth while pedals are modulation effects which add a bit of colour to your tone e.g. flanger, phaser, wah. The most useful effect after distortion is either delay or a wah-wah pedal, depends what kind of sound you want. You could get a cheap wah pedal for about £70-£90, the best by far being the Dunlop Crybaby, but again this depends what you think sounds good. And if you think £40 is too much then im afraid you're very restricted with choice, the only pedals I can think of that are that cheap are the Danelectro pedals which go for about £30 a time. If you want a half-decent stompbox you're looking at a minumum of about £70. Multieffects unit are better value, but they start at about £200 and finish at over a grand. Or you could join me in my quest to make a home-made talkbox for ''under a tenner" :D
Sun 12/06/05 at 22:09
Regular
I want to get myself some effects pedals, but even a cheap one for around £40 seems too much for a slightly different sound.

:(
Sun 12/06/05 at 19:49
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Waaaaaaay ahead of ya ;D Ive found an old Marshall practise amp, i think its 2 Watt, lol. But anyway, the speaker in it is 8 ohms, same as the 2x12 cabinet that i run my head through. theres obviously an input, but also a headphones output. the possibilities are endless......
Sun 12/06/05 at 18:01
Regular
"Mighty Strathmore"
metalhead wrote:

> Random guess: suitably valued resistor?

thats there still got to guess 3 more.
Hint-try building a custom amp.
Sun 12/06/05 at 16:15
Regular
"bot"
metalhead wrote:
> Multieffects units are like the virtual modelling amps: Its nice to
> have lots of pretty sounds to play with, but at the end of the day a
> real marshall stack/fender twin/flanger pedal etc., sounds 1,000
> times better than something that THINKS marshall stack/fender
> twin/flanger pedal etc. For what you're actually going to use, its
> definitely worth spending the money on a few decent quality
> stompboxes than a clever box of tricks.

The thing is, it's best not to think of it like that. I use mine because I like the sounds I can make with it. I don't care if the Marshall models don't sound like a real Marshall stack, because I like what they do sound like. It's about sounding good, not mimicing a sound perfectly. As for the modulation FX, they're virtually indistinguisable from their analogue counterparts. There's a massive difference between cheap multi-FX and those in the £200+ range.
Sun 12/06/05 at 14:26
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
sg_nl90 wrote:
> the plans for what me and
> my bro done because we were able to put a "component" in to
> stop it blowing.

Random guess: suitably valued resistor? My new cunning plan involves using either the D.I. from my amp head which comes straight out of the pre-amp, or the effects loop. Either way it shouldnt damage the amp at all...i think.
Sun 12/06/05 at 11:51
Regular
"Mighty Strathmore"
clever boy. the amp will blow most certainly. unless you get it right the first time. thats why i cant give you the plans for what me and my bro done because we were able to put a "component" in to stop it blowing.
I wish you the best in building you talkbox.
Let me no if it works.
Sun 12/06/05 at 10:31
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Multieffects units are like the virtual modelling amps: Its nice to have lots of pretty sounds to play with, but at the end of the day a real marshall stack/fender twin/flanger pedal etc., sounds 1,000 times better than something that THINKS marshall stack/fender twin/flanger pedal etc. For what you're actually going to use, its definitely worth spending the money on a few decent quality stompboxes than a clever box of tricks.

Re: Talkboxes

From what you've said, and from what I know about...erm...'professional' talkboxes, i think ive got a fairly good idea what to do. Professional ones go between the amp and the speaker (head and cabinet) so alls i needs to do is get a small 8z speaker cone, stick it in a box, attatch jack sockets, plug amp head into one, cabinet into the other, and stick a tube infront of the speaker.....i think. Does it go something like that?
Sat 11/06/05 at 23:22
Regular
"bot"
Well, it's not really "the real thing", since the proper analogue stompboxes it models will probably sound better, but for flexibility and convenience it gets my thumbs up. I'd love a PodXT Live though, but it was about £100 more.
Sat 11/06/05 at 22:01
Regular
Memorandum! wrote:
> Computer effects blow.

They're probably not authentic

but...

> Boss GT-6

The real thing is extremely expensive.

: - (

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.