GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A question about good table manners"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/05/05 at 20:43
Regular
"0228"
Hopefully some of you will be able to settle this dispute.

So, my parents and I are sitting at the table eating dinner, I finish mine and then my mum says that if I want to I can leave the table and wash my plate. I get up to do so but then my dad makes one of those annoying forced coughs.

I say 'What?' and he replies by saying that I have poor table manners. This confused me so I asked why and then he said that I should ask to be excused before leaving. However, I responded by saying that there is no need to ask to be excused if you've already been told you can leave. He says I'm wrong. I ask him to explain why I need to do so and then he simply sighs and says 'Yes, you're right you're always right aren't you?' in an extremely sarcastic tone. I tell him that he's replying like this because he doesn't have a reason and then he just continues being sarcastic, causing me to just leave anyway.

The way I see it, why would anybody be expected to ask to leave the table once they've been already told to do so? It seems ignorant to ask a question that you've just been given the answer to and not only that but I think it makes you come across as a bit retarded. So who's right, me, my parents, or does nobody know? And if I'm wrong, then surely that rule should be changed, it makes no sense.
Mon 09/05/05 at 15:35
Regular
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Not everyone can afford dishwashers either. :D

They can't?
You mean they just have to reuse a dirty plate?
That's disgusting.
Mon 09/05/05 at 15:29
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Tphi wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> Ahahaha, asking to be excused.
>
> Mirth.
>
> Exactly. What century do you live in JFH?
>
> And you have to do your own washing up? Oh dear..

*Shrug* I always ate at the table with my family. It was certainly better (and more sociable) than eating off your lap drooling in a brain dead stupor at the tv.

And Tphi, once mummy and daddy aren't around to hold your hand, you have to do things like washing up / washing clothes / general cleaning yourself. Not everyone can afford dishwashers either. :D
Mon 09/05/05 at 15:21
Regular
Memorandum! wrote:
> what I want to know is why anyone actually cared?
>
> If I got up and walked away from the table without saying anything
> nobody would give a crap. What's the point in following stupid
> formal rules in your own home?

I agree.

I get up after dinner, shove my plate in teh dishwasher and leave whilst everyone's eating their dinner.

Although usually I'm last to finish.
Sun 08/05/05 at 17:04
Regular
Tphi wrote:
"And you have to do your own washing up? Oh dear.."

ahahahahhahahahah
Sun 08/05/05 at 16:58
Regular
"0228"
Don't feel bad about saying it, I know it's true. You could help by convincing your parents to adopt me though.
Sun 08/05/05 at 14:55
Regular
"That's right!"
JFH, I'm sorry but your family's weird. There, I said it...
Sun 08/05/05 at 11:00
Regular
"cachoo"
JFH wrote:
> My mum brings out some food usually a really odd mix that will taste
> like crap, today for eaxample was pasta, bolognaise sauce, broccolli,
> and carrots.

.. That's a gorgeous mix! Pasta and bolognese sauce with those 2 vegetables is.. classic. Damn. I'm gonna have to go make some for breakfast now.

Oh.. and you're right.
Sun 08/05/05 at 10:47
Regular
"Always the winner?"
Communist Jim wrote:
> You should be greatful that you actually have dinner - think of all
> those starving Iraqis that have to eat bullets and shrapnel.

Why do you need to be a party pooper?

Be grateful that you still exist. Think of all the communists who were once expelled from their countries.

;)
Sat 07/05/05 at 23:07
"period drama"
"dishwasher"
Sat 07/05/05 at 23:06
Regular
"thursdayton!"
cookie monster wrote:
> Ahahaha, asking to be excused.
>
> Mirth.

Exactly. What century do you live in JFH?

And you have to do your own washing up? Oh dear..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.