GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Digital Camcorders"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/12/04 at 13:03
Regular
Not sure where this topic belongs but it's going in here. I'm after a digital camcorder of high quality, and having the ability to take still photos, but costing no more than about £350-£400.

So far the one that looks the most promising is the Sony DCR-HC30ES. However, most user reviews say that the still photographs it takes are of very poor quality (640x720 or something similar). Still photos are quite important to me, I'm really looking for an all in one piece of kit but am fully aware just how much it can cost for a good all-rounder. A mate of mine paid nearly £1500. No bloody chance.

Is there any way to achieve camcorder/camera perfection without getting your pants pulled down over the price, or is it a case of getting excellent camcorder functionality but terrible photos?
Sat 11/12/04 at 17:08
Regular
AliBoy wrote:

> Might find it better going for a cheaper camcorder and a seperate
> still digital camera?

I thought of that, but it just seemed a bit silly.

Maybe I'll get a 'corder and then look around for a camera another time.
Sat 11/12/04 at 15:38
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Most camcorders I've seen that take still images have been poor. Seems more like just a wee added extra rather than a decent feature of the camcorder.

Not sure where you've been looking but I've found [URL]http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/[/URL] helpful for trying to find a decent camcorder, also gives you a rough price to find one for.

Might find it better going for a cheaper camcorder and a seperate still digital camera?
Sat 11/12/04 at 14:37
Regular
"Freeola Support"
For the sort of Camcorder you are looking for you will probably be looking at a much higher price tag unless you want to go for something like the Mustek DV 5500 GG6180 (would post a link but it was to long). The only problem here is the video requires an MPEG or DIVX capable video editor, encoder and decoder if you want to put it onto something like a DVD, I have seen a Sony Camcorder with inbuilt mini dvd burner which had lovely huge xvga resolution, but it was at £600.
Sat 11/12/04 at 13:03
Regular
Not sure where this topic belongs but it's going in here. I'm after a digital camcorder of high quality, and having the ability to take still photos, but costing no more than about £350-£400.

So far the one that looks the most promising is the Sony DCR-HC30ES. However, most user reviews say that the still photographs it takes are of very poor quality (640x720 or something similar). Still photos are quite important to me, I'm really looking for an all in one piece of kit but am fully aware just how much it can cost for a good all-rounder. A mate of mine paid nearly £1500. No bloody chance.

Is there any way to achieve camcorder/camera perfection without getting your pants pulled down over the price, or is it a case of getting excellent camcorder functionality but terrible photos?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.