GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are there any good "less violent" multiplayer games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call Of Duty'.
Mon 17/01/05 at 13:57
Regular
"with_no_tag_line"
I am currently playing Call of Duty multiplayer with my two children on our three PC home network. It is great fun and we enjoy it immensely. However, my wife is less enamoured. She dislikes the fact that the children are enjoying "killing their Daddy" and that the whole game revolves around killing each other.

So to my dilemma. What games are there out there that work well on a home network, are fun to play and do not revelove around killing each other, though some killing is allowed, especially if it is not "each other". ie. if we were all on the same side v. the computer, that would be acceptable.

I have tried racing games and flight sims - the kids just aren't interested.
I have tried one or two strategy games - my kids love Age of Mythology but I haven't the patience to learn what seems an overtly complicated game (and anyway I'm not sure that my PC would be up to it).

So what can anyone else suggest? What is the ultimate fun not-too-violent multiplayer ad-hoc network compatible game out there?
Tue 18/01/05 at 09:06
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
There's also the "Digital Paintball" mod available through Half Life / HL2 / Steam, but I'm unsure as how this would work on a LAN. I think multiple copies of HL would have to be bought, but am not sure.
Tue 18/01/05 at 08:56
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Damarus wrote:
> Serious Sam Gold Edition.
>
> Can be picked up for about a tenner. Less in most places.

"... the fact that the children are enjoying "killing their Daddy" and that the whole game revolves around killing each other.

So to my dilemma. What games are there out there that work well on a home network, are fun to play and do not revelove around killing each other"
Mon 17/01/05 at 18:20
Regular
Serious Sam Gold Edition.

Can be picked up for about a tenner. Less in most places.
Mon 17/01/05 at 18:14
Regular
"Arf. Arf. Arf. Arf."
I loved that NERF game, my mate had a demo of it when we were young and we spent hours on it as we couldn't afford the real game, then a few years later I found it for 50p!! at a car boot sale.

Was chuffed as f**k,loved and still love this game.
Mon 17/01/05 at 18:10
Regular
"8==="
Yep that Nerf thing.
Mon 17/01/05 at 14:48
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
First thing I thought of was Nerf Arena Blast. A game targeted at precisely what you want. Its basically a non-violent first person shooter (like Call Of Duty). Unfortunately its quite old now so a) doesn't look the greatest and b) not so easy to get hold of. But the demo is available from plenty of places, might be worth a look.
Mon 17/01/05 at 14:39
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I was going to suggest Warcraft, Goaty beat me to it. :(
Mon 17/01/05 at 14:34
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
The only none violent game I can think of is "Orbz", a multiplayer game where you aim a ball, assign power and try to hit gold stars. It's suprisingly addictive, very simple and I'd imagine very kid friendly You can download a demo [URL]http://www.garagegames.com/pg/product/view.php?id=5[/URL] and the full game is 20 USD.
Mon 17/01/05 at 14:17
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Warcraft 3 is pretty good.
A not-so-deep strategy not disimilar to Age of Mythology and what violence is present is fantasy based - orcs against elves etc so it's not blowing daddy away (unless daddy has escaped from a Tolkien book).
[URL]http://www.blizzard.com/war3/screenshots/[/URL]

I'm sure others will chip in with better suggestions.
Mon 17/01/05 at 13:57
Regular
"with_no_tag_line"
I am currently playing Call of Duty multiplayer with my two children on our three PC home network. It is great fun and we enjoy it immensely. However, my wife is less enamoured. She dislikes the fact that the children are enjoying "killing their Daddy" and that the whole game revolves around killing each other.

So to my dilemma. What games are there out there that work well on a home network, are fun to play and do not revelove around killing each other, though some killing is allowed, especially if it is not "each other". ie. if we were all on the same side v. the computer, that would be acceptable.

I have tried racing games and flight sims - the kids just aren't interested.
I have tried one or two strategy games - my kids love Age of Mythology but I haven't the patience to learn what seems an overtly complicated game (and anyway I'm not sure that my PC would be up to it).

So what can anyone else suggest? What is the ultimate fun not-too-violent multiplayer ad-hoc network compatible game out there?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.