GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So, This PHP lark"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/09/04 at 19:33
Regular
I'm trying to fish my way through the odd tutorial or two, but I just need some advice.

Web servers, IIS or Apache?

Which one? I've used IIS at the place where I did Work Experience, programming SQL databases and creating programs that manipulated the data from within the comfort of a web browser.

Although I was programming in C#.net, I figured as IIS was Microsoft developed, it'd be more optimised for it's .net infrastructure.

So basically, apache or IIS?
Wed 08/09/04 at 18:58
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
When developing my website recently (blatant plug: [URL]http://www.r32register.co.uk[/URL]) in PHP (with a MySQL DB), I installed xampp (as recommended by someone on here), which was an absolute doddle to set-up. Highly recommend it.
Wed 08/09/04 at 12:08
Regular
"Freeola Support"
gamesfreak wrote:
> Cheers Afternoon (why aren't you a regular? :P)
I am a regular (at the moment anyway)

PHP, lovely language and works well with HTML
Tue 07/09/04 at 22:51
Regular
Wow just being having a tinker with this PHP thing.

It rocks, It's a pretty cool language indeed.
Tue 07/09/04 at 20:41
Regular
Urgh.

Forgive me if I sound like a 'tard, but I'm having trouble accessing anything through the server.

I.e, I've made a .php file with some simple tutorial code, and shoved it in C:\Program Files\Apache2\

(PHP is installed here)

Which i'm guessing is my server's root directory?

Trying to access this file fails to work, Through firefox I just get this message: -

Not Found

The requested URL /test.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.50 (Win32) PHP/5.0.1 Server at localhost Port 80

The line at the bottom seems to state that I have everything installed correctly, so why can't it find the file?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read the httpd conf and you have to put all of your HTML files within the "htdocs" folder.

My bad.
Tue 07/09/04 at 20:05
Regular
The quicker I get away from asp.net the better.

Cheers Afternoon (why aren't you a regular? :P)
Tue 07/09/04 at 20:02
Regular
"Freeola Support"
For me Apache, if you want asp .net mssql IIS
Tue 07/09/04 at 19:33
Regular
I'm trying to fish my way through the odd tutorial or two, but I just need some advice.

Web servers, IIS or Apache?

Which one? I've used IIS at the place where I did Work Experience, programming SQL databases and creating programs that manipulated the data from within the comfort of a web browser.

Although I was programming in C#.net, I figured as IIS was Microsoft developed, it'd be more optimised for it's .net infrastructure.

So basically, apache or IIS?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.