GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doom 3 Ro>

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/08/04 at 00:55
Regular
I've just played it and it is superb.

I have an AMD 2.4, 512 ram and a 9600 and I can run the game at 1280 x 1024 on medium specs with very little framerate drops. And even on these settings the graphics are the best you'll have ever seen.

Gameplay wise the game is s**t scary. Playing in a dark room, all alone, at half 12 in the morning doesn't help matters. At one stage it made me jump 3 times in about 2 minutes.

One of the features I like most is that you have a PDA that stores all your emails, facts, videos and everything on. You can hook it up to machines to download more emails and data etc. The interactivity is also brilliant. When you look at a control panel your crosshair turns into a mouse pointer making it great to select the functions.

Lighting is another thing I love about this game. You need to play the game to appreciate how good it is. The flashlight is also superb, and in a dark game like Doom 3, proves very useful.

[S]P.S. I shall be purchasing the legit copy on Friday :P I just couldn't wait.
Sat 23/10/04 at 18:24
Regular
Argh!

Just managed to pick up this game and it is funning scary as hell.

Amazing graphics and it always keeps you on edge, even before you have to go and encounter that scientist guy, It's frightening when the lights go out, people are shouting on the radio and you are fumbling around on the keyboard for a flashlight.

One point has made me jump, At some elevator place I went to open the door and this thing just burst out and attacked me.

Scary, but excellent.
Thu 02/09/04 at 23:48
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
From what I have read the CacheMeg doesnt do anything. I have changed it to many different values and nothing has changed in performance at all.

The best thing to do is the Shader tweak and any other tweaks in the config such as image compression. One thing to note is always stick with the quality setting that is set. Low is for 64mb cards, medium for 128mb cards, high for 256mb, and ultra for 512mb. The only major difference in quality is image compression, as AF can be turned on by changing the config file. Running in high looks no different to medium to me on my 9800 Pro. High gave me slow down when opening doors as the amount of information needed to be loaded was more than my card could handle due to it having only 128mb RAM to 256mb.
Thu 02/09/04 at 21:11
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
Sweet... my friend bought it round and I've managed to get a cracked exe for it....

With the modified Shader file and standard Cat 4.8 (no 4.9 OpenGL file), as well as the Doom3.cfg
seta image_cacheMegs 96 (rather than 20) tweak and I'm getting some great performance with my Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB!

I've got all the advanced options on except anti-aliasing, and am currently jumping between 1024x768 and 800x640 resolution to see how much the frame rate suffers.

All I can say is thanks, Humus and the Guy who posted that tweak... so far the performance has increased significantly.... :D
Thu 02/09/04 at 19:35
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
adrian wrote:
> Well thats ok then. I will install the proper ones in time. Got the
> update OpenGL file which was updated and I got the modified shader
> file which gives a big performance increase.

Does the updated OpenGL give much of an update, or would I get decent performance if I stuck to 4.8 Cats, and just added the modified Shader file?

Cheers.
Wed 01/09/04 at 23:13
Regular
Man, Shalebridge Cradle is the nuts.

I was so terrified to move at one point I just had Garrett sitting in a dead end corridor for 10 minutes, and I kept pressing quick save every 30 seconds as if I was expecting something to just crash through the wall and eat my brains.
Wed 01/09/04 at 19:09
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Ahh dammit! All that expansive darkness is making for some depressing gaming :-)
Wed 01/09/04 at 17:24
Regular
There was a particular bit in Delta labs (i think) where there's a fat zombie sat on the toilet, and you can hear heavy, long continuous breathing.

When it springs to life when you get right up close - that made me 'jolt', so to speak. Excellent.

There's many things in the game that aren't really scary. Take the spiders for example - you'd think they'd be scary - especially if, like me, you've got a fear of spiders.

And the 'orange-ball-of-evil-light-grenade' throwers aren't scary. Long-range combat isn't scary. Same applies to those skeleton-bot things.
Wed 01/09/04 at 10:46
Regular
"A man with a stick"
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> The strange 'posessed' moments where you are 'taken over' are very
> interesting indeed. I think there's a moment early on where your body
> is just 'gripped' and your vision goes a fuzzy red.
>
> Just stuff like that which makes you feel like the demons are getting
> so close to subverting you in the same way they already have done
> with your allies.

There are a few bits like that, one I remember where you see yourself through the eye of, something. Pretty weird stuff, but I like it. There are also some really creepy moments too, in particular parts of the game where you can hear people whispering to you, asking you to help them. If you follow where the whispering is coming from, occasionally you can find secret areas.

As much as I find Doom 3 chilling, with some moments sending shivers down my spine, it doesn't compare to the Shalebridge Cradle level on Thief 3. That is, quite possibly, one of the scariest levels I've ever played in a game. They use sound to perfection, making a truly creepy and unsettling atmosphere.
Wed 01/09/04 at 01:29
Regular
"Touched!"
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> The strange 'posessed' moments where you are 'taken over' are very
> interesting indeed. I think there's a moment early on where your body
> is just 'gripped' and your vision goes a fuzzy red.
>
> Just stuff like that which makes you feel like the demons are getting
> so close to subverting you in the same way they already have done
> with your allies.

The bit in the toilet is the red bit, pretty weird then you get attacked from behind, I'm on the most difficult setting and loving it, challenging game but the shotgun rules!
Tue 31/08/04 at 23:12
Regular
The strange 'posessed' moments where you are 'taken over' are very interesting indeed. I think there's a moment early on where your body is just 'gripped' and your vision goes a fuzzy red.

Just stuff like that which makes you feel like the demons are getting so close to subverting you in the same way they already have done with your allies.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.