GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"An In-Depth View On Autism"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/07/04 at 21:59
Regular
"??????"
A VIEW ON AUTISM

As some of you may already know, Autism is a condition which can be related to other conditions, including AD/HD, ADD, and Aspergers Syndrome.

I have asked several people, without them knowing that I have been diagnosed as an Autistic, their views on the subject. Here are the results:

"I can understand their problems. They have to be helped somehow"
"Rubbish. They're just finding something to blame their problems on."
"I am Autistic myself. I really feel that more should be done to help Autistics"
"I'm not denying that some have problems, but if all the ones who claimed to have Autism really did, they would be distanced from everyone else and have pretty severe contact disorders"
"This is a problem, and we have to deal with it. Autistics need and deserve more respect than they get and should be accepted as general members of society"
"I don't know. Some do, some don't, I can only tell with the really serious ones"
"There are only two types of people - the normal people and the really bad Autistics. There's no in-between"

As you can see from these results, in general the public opinion is fairly positive. Perhaps another survey on a broader scale will be carried out in the near future.

Allow me to make a point which is not exactly widely known, to say the least. It can be summed up in four words: WE ALL HAVE AUTISM, with Aspergers apparently being the most existant. Yes, we all have it. Each and every single one of us is technically Autistic. However, before I cause a mass panic, I must also point out that if the Autism only shows of an average amount (which is usually barely noticed) in one specific person, that person is not OFFICIALLY classified as being Autistic. Should, however, the Autism be more then slightly over the average level of apparency and it is medically proven, the person IS officially classified as Autistic.

Many people believe that various films contain material which relates to the behaviour of Autistic people in reality. I recall hearing of a film called "Rain Man", in which there was apparently an Autistic lead character. DON'T assume that anythign which he does is what all Autisitcs do. Some of them - maybe. All of them - most certainly not.

People with Autism may, and this is quite possibly the most well-known thing about Autism, appear to act erratically at times, and behave in ways which, as with many things relating to people's views on Autistics, "different".

Here is some information on possible problems due to Autism.

Problem: The person may believe virtually anything and is unable to distinguish the difference between a true fact and a joke.
How others may see it: The person appears to merely be very gullible.

Problem: The person may have problems with eye contact.
How others may see it: The person is ignorant, and/or is deliberately being distracted.

In closing, I have six very good points to make about the subject:

1: Autistic people are not aliens. They should therefore be accepted as normal people wherever possible.
2: Autism can occur on various levels, and this must always be remembered when in reference to the subject.
3: If you are Autistic, listen to no-one being offensive about it. This is manageable, if difficult at first.
4: Autistic people are NOT necessarily insane. Autism and insanity are in no way directly linked.
5: Autistic people, although slightly different to others, are still human beings. Treat them as such.
6: "Different", "Weird", "Insane" and "Stupid" are not the only words usable when describing Autistics, although they are treated as such by many.

Thank you.

By the way - should you have any further questions on the subject, I shall attempt to answer them if possible.

One question which I cannot, however, like everyone else, is "What exactly causes it". My apologies, but more research has to be done, and the answer may never truly become apparent.
Mon 12/07/04 at 20:54
Regular
"??????"
I did. Perhaps there should have been slightly more detail in that particular section.
Mon 12/07/04 at 18:35
"period drama"
Galacticdramon wrote:
> FFF, a lot of people do actually realise what Autism is, and I
> explained anyway.

I know. But if you're going to take an in-depth look at something, it's usually sensible to explain what you're actually look at is.
Mon 12/07/04 at 18:20
Regular
"??????"
Light wrote:
> The former Mrs Light works with autistic kids and adults. Basically,
> in laymans terms;
>
> Autism stops people learning social skills and social conditioning.
> For example, you or I know how to interact in todays society because
> we have an innate understanding of society's etiquette and social
> strictures, even though we've never been explicitly taught them; we
> just kinda pick it up as we go along. Autistic people can't do that;
> they are cut of from society by their inability to comprehend how it
> works. It's almost like they are locked up in their own consciousness
> and so cannot relate to anyone else.

That is sometimes very true.

FFF, a lot of people do actually realise what Autism is, and I explained anyway. It's a condition. This is in the sense that it is a mentally developed condition which can sometimes cause a handicap.

Just going off-topic slightly for a brief time - One problem which I see is that such words as "mental" and "handicap" can evoke a twisted sense of joy in those who are less mature than the rest of us. They believe that "mental" means "having a totally messed-up head", and that "handicap" means "a disability to laugh, tease and joke about". It really is sad.

And the last two Posters - you're right. You are. As I mentioned, we all are.
Mon 12/07/04 at 13:07
Regular
I'm probably a little autistic too then...

interesting... :-)
Mon 12/07/04 at 13:03
Regular
"8==="
I think I'm slightly more autistic than the average person then. :S
Mon 12/07/04 at 12:29
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
The former Mrs Light works with autistic kids and adults. Basically, in laymans terms;

Autism stops people learning social skills and social conditioning. For example, you or I know how to interact in todays society because we have an innate understanding of society's etiquette and social strictures, even though we've never been explicitly taught them; we just kinda pick it up as we go along. Autistic people can't do that; they are cut of from society by their inability to comprehend how it works. It's almost like they are locked up in their own consciousness and so cannot relate to anyone else.

That's a VERY basic oversimplification of how I understand autism anyway.
Mon 12/07/04 at 12:19
Regular
Yeah, I still don't really know what it is...
Sun 11/07/04 at 20:00
"period drama"
Do you realise that you failed to actually tell anyone anything about Autism in that post?
Sun 11/07/04 at 17:53
Regular
"??????"
Flockhart wrote:
> Galacticdramon wrote:
> Flockhart, not all Autistics are kids. Autistics are Autistic all
> their life, and it never fully disappears.
>
> Thats not what i meant, i said they are childlike, not children.

That's still not necessarily true for ALL Autistics. In fact, it certainly isn't.

> Also, you said "Most people who are properly austistic don't
> have the mental capacity to understand autism or care for that
> matter, they are children".
>
> This is completely not true. Autism does NOT, in ANY way, affect
> mental capacity. In fact, in some cases Autism has actually been
> known to somehow IMPROVE intelligence and also memory.
>
> You are correct that it doesn't affect capacity but it does affect
> their capacity to care about intelligence and yes some autistics are
> blessed with extraordinary memory and ability with numbers.

Numbers? It's a broader range than that, but I know what you mean. However, it doens't affect capacity to care about intelligence either.

> You also said "No theyre treated like any other mentally
> disabled member of society, kept at arms length".
>
> This is not necessarily a disability, which is one of the things
> which people do not, however much they should, understand. If the
> Autistic person needs to be distanced from others, so be it.
> Otherwise, this is wrong.
>
> Blame society, and i'm not refering to mildly autistic people, autism
> is a disability.

It can be, but it isn't always.

> Finally, Flockhart, "Thats just not going to happen unless all
> the idiots get washed away in a storm"
>
> Who are you referring to by "idiots"? If you mean the
> Autistics, the whole world must be idiots, theoretically speaking -
> which is obviously not true.
> If however, you mean those who disrespect Autistics, I agree to a
> high level of agreement. This must be changed.
>
> I've already said my sister is autistic do you seriously think i was
> referring to autistic people ?

I hadn't spotted that.
Sun 11/07/04 at 14:31
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Galacticdramon wrote:
> Flockhart, not all Autistics are kids. Autistics are Autistic all
> their life, and it never fully disappears.

Thats not what i meant, i said they are childlike, not children.

> Also, you said "Most people who are properly austistic don't
> have the mental capacity to understand autism or care for that
> matter, they are children".
>
> This is completely not true. Autism does NOT, in ANY way, affect
> mental capacity. In fact, in some cases Autism has actually been
> known to somehow IMPROVE intelligence and also memory.

You are correct that it doesn't affect capacity but it does affect their capacity to care about intelligence and yes some autistics are blessed with extraordinary memory and ability with numbers.

> You also said "No theyre treated like any other mentally
> disabled member of society, kept at arms length".
>
> This is not necessarily a disability, which is one of the things
> which people do not, however much they should, understand. If the
> Autistic person needs to be distanced from others, so be it.
> Otherwise, this is wrong.

Blame society, and i'm not refering to mildly autistic people, autism is a disability.

> Finally, Flockhart, "Thats just not going to happen unless all
> the idiots get washed away in a storm"
>
> Who are you referring to by "idiots"? If you mean the
> Autistics, the whole world must be idiots, theoretically speaking -
> which is obviously not true.
> If however, you mean those who disrespect Autistics, I agree to a
> high level of agreement. This must be changed.

I've already said my sister is autistic do you seriously think i was referring to autistic people ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.