GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bubba Ho-Tep"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/04/04 at 08:18
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
The most imaginative movie I have seen in a long, long time.

Is it a horror? Yes. Is it a satire? Yes. A character study? Yes. A Drama? Yes. It’s all these and more.

Elvis and JFK are in a nursing home, aging icons from yesterday. This alone makes it a movie worth watching IMHO. Throw a soul eating “good ‘ol boy” Egyptian mummy into the mix and it gets interesting.
The question of what use we when we get older is asked time and time again. At the start, “Elvis” is bitter and twisted, unable to get an erection and feeling less than a man because of it. Weird things start happening, large bugs are found in the home, people die more frequently. Its here that we are introduced to Jack Kennedy, a black man that claims he is assassinated ex president John F Kennedy, offering “they dyed me black” by way of explanation “I have a bag of sand in my head for brains”.

This element of the movie appeals to me most. Are the characters who they say they are? We have all seen the photos of JFK on the slab, hence “Jack” in this movie is probably not what he says he is, but rather a delusional old man trying to justify a point for his existence. The Elvis back story and reason he ends up in a nursing home is far more convincing, but the question remains, is this the “real” Elvis, or is it again, someone trying to make themselves into something they were not.

The chemistry between the two leads is excellent. Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davis do a wonderful job of bringing the characters to life and making you feel for them. It’s funny. Its sad, it’s tense, it’s heart warming.

When you finally see it in the video shop, don’t assume it’s a straight to dvd job because its been unsuccessful. It’s had terrible distribution problems in the states. In my opinion, it’s an instant cult classic, and may go the way of “The Shawshank Redemption” (even though they are two totally different beasts) in the way that people will watch the movie when they are feeling down and lonely, to cheer themselves up, and root for two old fogies on the screen, kicking mummy ass while making you laugh.

(Elvis Voice and sneer) “Thank You Very Much “
Tue 20/04/04 at 08:18
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
The most imaginative movie I have seen in a long, long time.

Is it a horror? Yes. Is it a satire? Yes. A character study? Yes. A Drama? Yes. It’s all these and more.

Elvis and JFK are in a nursing home, aging icons from yesterday. This alone makes it a movie worth watching IMHO. Throw a soul eating “good ‘ol boy” Egyptian mummy into the mix and it gets interesting.
The question of what use we when we get older is asked time and time again. At the start, “Elvis” is bitter and twisted, unable to get an erection and feeling less than a man because of it. Weird things start happening, large bugs are found in the home, people die more frequently. Its here that we are introduced to Jack Kennedy, a black man that claims he is assassinated ex president John F Kennedy, offering “they dyed me black” by way of explanation “I have a bag of sand in my head for brains”.

This element of the movie appeals to me most. Are the characters who they say they are? We have all seen the photos of JFK on the slab, hence “Jack” in this movie is probably not what he says he is, but rather a delusional old man trying to justify a point for his existence. The Elvis back story and reason he ends up in a nursing home is far more convincing, but the question remains, is this the “real” Elvis, or is it again, someone trying to make themselves into something they were not.

The chemistry between the two leads is excellent. Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davis do a wonderful job of bringing the characters to life and making you feel for them. It’s funny. Its sad, it’s tense, it’s heart warming.

When you finally see it in the video shop, don’t assume it’s a straight to dvd job because its been unsuccessful. It’s had terrible distribution problems in the states. In my opinion, it’s an instant cult classic, and may go the way of “The Shawshank Redemption” (even though they are two totally different beasts) in the way that people will watch the movie when they are feeling down and lonely, to cheer themselves up, and root for two old fogies on the screen, kicking mummy ass while making you laugh.

(Elvis Voice and sneer) “Thank You Very Much “
Tue 20/04/04 at 08:39
Regular
"you've got a beard"
that sounds utterly wonderful...
i'm definately going to have to find this, Bruce Campbell rules :)
(guessing he plays Elvis?)
Tue 20/04/04 at 08:47
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Very_Metal wrote:
> that sounds utterly wonderful...
> i'm definately going to have to find this, Bruce Campbell rules :)
> (guessing he plays Elvis?)

Of course. ;)

He makes an almost perfect job of it too.

[URL]http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/bubba_ho-tep/[/URL] Trailer.

I can't stress how much I loved this movie. Its far better than ANY b movie has the right to be.
Tue 20/04/04 at 09:25
Regular
"you've got a beard"
sweet trailer, the geriatric gunslinging ruled :)

i've not found it in any cinemas near me yet, but i'll definately check it out on dvd if i don't see it...

nice recommendation mate!
Tue 20/04/04 at 09:50
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Very_Metal wrote:
> i've not found it in any cinemas near me yet, but i'll definately
> check it out on dvd if i don't see it...
>
> nice recommendation mate!

I have no idea when it's out over here, but I've been wanting to see it for years now, and eventually downloaded a pirate copy. Still it's everything I hoped for, and will be both seeing it at the cinema if it gets general release and buying the DVD.
Tue 20/04/04 at 10:40
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I've earmarked this as a dvd purchase. Read about it somewhere a few months ago and thought it sounded...interesting.
It comes out on dvd sometime in May in the US.
Tue 20/04/04 at 12:14
Regular
"A man with a stick"
This looks like a laugh, I'll have to pick it up if I can though I think I may import it as I'm not quite sure on the UK release date. Also, I read that the filmmakers said if Ho-Tep makes enough money then there may be two sequels, Bubba Nosferatu and Bubba Sasquatch.
Tue 20/04/04 at 12:19
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
cipro wrote:
> Bubba Nosferatu and Bubba Sasquatch.

Ahhh, Bubba Nosferatu was mentioned at the end

[URL]http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=8564393[/URL]

I wondered why. Strange, considering the ending of Ho-tep.............;)
Tue 20/04/04 at 12:22
Regular
"relocated"
This looks awesome. I love it when people recommend stuff that I've never heard of. Cheers!
Tue 20/04/04 at 12:46
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I want this. Badly. Bruce Campbell as Elvis? Hell yes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.