GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Patriotism"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/04/04 at 14:06
Regular
"gsybe you!"
A) You love your country, from simple pride to lovely nationalistic style 'We're better than everyone else and Islams are stealing all our hard earned bread'. Simple pride being 'yay, I love my country, although it does have some bad bits'.

Or

B) Gustave Flaubert, Frenchman in the 1800s - despised France, loved Egypt. 'As for the idea of a native country, that is to say, of a certain bit of ground traced out on a map and seperated from others by a rec or blue line: no. My native country is for me the country that I love, that is, the one that makes me dream, that makes me feel well'

Maybe you love Britain (or Wales/N.I/Scotland/England/US whatever) as in Flauberts ideas....or which one do you feel?
Sat 17/04/04 at 00:39
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Hedfix wrote:
> Where you live sucks while you're there.
>
> When you move, you miss it.

I can honestly say i didn't miss England at all while i was over in Canada or America. The only thing i did miss from England was one of my old friends over here other than that i hardly thought about England while i was away other than thinking *this is so much better than home, i wish i could stay permanently*
Fri 16/04/04 at 19:47
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I have to say, I am more more a B person, but it just so happens the most wonderful place I know is in fact where I live. Other places, like Krabi in Thailand, Barcelona, Paris etc, are all incredibly special and I love being there.

However, where I live is calm, varied, low crime rate, I hardly ever see people as described in Lalakersrule's little anecdote (and I imagine that happens everywhere to an extent) - the landscape and climate however, are just magical. True it rains, but the north coast of Cornwall, Dartmoor, the Isles of Scilly, the wooded valleys off Dartmoor...I can't begin to describe the love I have for it. I guess I'm just very lucky - and of course, nations are different in each little part of themselves. I wouldn't say I 'love' Britain because of our heritage - I am aware of it and am proud of some of the achievements and shocked by others. I love 'Britain' because where I live is where I love. At the moment anyway.
Fri 16/04/04 at 19:41
Regular
I couldn't really say I like it here.

But anywhere better...

Probably not really. Except the climate.
Maybe there'd be less mongs in some places, but there seems to be less action with it.
And if you go for more action you suffer a higher c*ckface population too.

Swings and roundabouts.
At least if you like things to happen but hate filth affecting your life.
Fri 16/04/04 at 19:24
Regular
"8==="
What annoys me is when a country that's pulled it's economy up through various nasty enterprises looks down on countries needing to do those enterprises now because it doesn't have to do those enterprises itself anymore.

Oh yes we're the elite because were rich enough not to do what made us rich any longer.

*Punches the world in the face*
Fri 16/04/04 at 19:20
Regular
"8==="
Where you live sucks while you're there.

When you move, you miss it.

Nowhere lets you truly be free, the barriers just move.
Fri 16/04/04 at 19:02
"period drama"
England sucks.
But I can't, off the top of my head, think of anywhere better.
Fri 16/04/04 at 14:32
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Cyclone wrote:
> Ah, I see something interesting.
>
> I take Lalakersrule as my example.
>
> You say you aren't proud of being English and wish to go. Is that
> because of the actual physical reality of the place or because of the
> society?

The society in general. After spending the time in Canada and America and then going up town the other day here i saw an absolutely remarkable difference in the people. Whereas Canadians were happy, smart polite people the people i met up town were miserable, rude idiots. A fine example would be when the bus was packed full, a lady was trying to get off the bus with her baby in it's pram and no one standing up in the way of the door attempted to even move and 2 people actually got on the bus and forced their way past her kicking the pram as they stumbled by.

Then there is the government which i like about as much as jumping butt naked into stinging nettles.

Also while i was both in America and Canada i could walk down the streets without getting hassled or thinking something is going to happen. Over here i've already been almost mugged and i've only been back a week. (Of course there was no police person in sight, they only bother to show up around 4 in the morning around our neighbourhood when it's pretty much safe for them and bother people like myself getting back from work)

Given the choice of where to live i'd pick North America over England any day of the week.
Fri 16/04/04 at 13:50
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Ah, I see something interesting.

I take Lalakersrule as my example.

You say you aren't proud of being English and wish to go. Is that because of the actual physical reality of the place or because of the society?

I'm just curious - Flaubert seemed to make sense to me. Especially as he loved a nation that wasn't and indeed isn't as 'good to live in' as his nation of birth.
Fri 16/04/04 at 01:10
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Lived in America for a couple of years and just recently Canada for 4 months and i consider them far better countries to live in and more my spiritual home(s). I frankly have no pride at all in being English and the sooner i get my teaching degree and go to teach in either Japan or America and leave this country behind the better.
Thu 15/04/04 at 23:45
Regular
"gsybe you!"
To those who say 'Pride' - is that simply because of where you are, or because you actually love the land and, shall we say, 'spirit' of the place.

I accept that one cannot know many other cultures in detail unless one is exceptionally lucky (the fact I say that proves somewhat my views), but do you love Britain because it's British or because you love it, the actual land and life of it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.