GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony forced to stop selling Dual Shock Controllers...?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/03/05 at 22:29
Regular
": ("
[URL]http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000997037831/[/URL]
Mon 04/04/05 at 20:02
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Microsoft were sued weren't they but they settled it out of court and they bought that 10% share?
Mon 04/04/05 at 19:57
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> If it's the whole idea of rumble controllers, how come Ninty aren't
> getting bitten too?
>
> I dunno how they make the GC controllers rumble, though. It might be
> electronically, not with swinging motors like the PS2 ones.

It's apparently two motors used to make the DualShock controllers rumble. The Gamecube controllers only use one motor for the rumble feature. I think this is why Sony are being sued and Nintendo aren't.

Microsoft aren't because they own about 10% of Immersion.
Mon 04/04/05 at 19:56
Regular
"8==="
No settling out of court uses a definite figure.

Not settling leaves the fine up to a Judge/Jury/Some variable amount mentioned in a legal requirement by the law.

Sont might have to pay less but I doubt it as they're now 'wasteing' the court's time compared to Nintendo and MS.
Mon 04/04/05 at 19:52
"period drama"
They didn't have to pay up - it was a settlement.
Mon 04/04/05 at 19:50
Regular
": ("
If Nintendo and Microsoft had to pay their way out what is the point in Sony trying to appeal? If their appeal gets accepted wouldn't that be unfair on the other companies that had to pay?
Mon 04/04/05 at 19:50
"period drama"
If it's the whole idea of rumble controllers, how come Ninty aren't getting bitten too?

I dunno how they make the GC controllers rumble, though. It might be electronically, not with swinging motors like the PS2 ones.
Mon 04/04/05 at 19:46
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Kawada wrote:
> Well Sony should have some good lawyers who can keep dragging this on
> and on until the PS3 is released and it'll become a mute point

Apart from still being liable for the fine imposed, currently standing at around $90m. Considering how Sony are currently struggling financially, that's something they'll want to deal with. Probably.
Mon 04/04/05 at 19:44
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
> That this company has the patent to the motors used in the
> controllers to make them vibrate. But Sony used them without asking,
> so they're getting sued for it.

Can't guarantee it, but I think it's more far reaching than that. Immersion seem to have come up with the original idea for force feedback, so will have numerous patents over the concept.

In fact, just had a look at The Register, this explains it better than I could.

[URL]http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/29/sony_immersion_injunction/[/URL]
Mon 04/04/05 at 19:42
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
> or a moot point, even.

Hush Mr Pedantic :-D
Mon 04/04/05 at 19:40
"period drama"
or a moot point, even.

Although I doubt they were going to change the controller design for the PS3, lazy basts.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.