GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD Piracy, how will it effect the movie industry ?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/04/01 at 12:01
Regular
Pioneer has now produced a DVDR drive, already available in the US for a cool $1k, about £600. It does everything a CDR drive does but with DVDs aswell. This drive will ultimately allow home users to record DVD movies and games that can be played back in normal DVD players and home consoles.
I say ultimately because Im not sure if the copy protection systems built into the PS2 have been broken yet, I would imagine special piracy software would be needed. However this will only be a matter of time. The DVD movie protection system DeCSS was broken a while back so I imagine DVD movie piracy software would be readily available.

What do you think this means for the future of the DVD movie industry??

My opinion is that it probably wont make much of a difference until the price of DVDR media drops, but if it ever dropped as low as CDR media then Piracy could seriously effect the industry.
Sun 08/04/01 at 12:01
Pioneer has now produced a DVDR drive, already available in the US for a cool $1k, about £600. It does everything a CDR drive does but with DVDs aswell. This drive will ultimately allow home users to record DVD movies and games that can be played back in normal DVD players and home consoles.
I say ultimately because Im not sure if the copy protection systems built into the PS2 have been broken yet, I would imagine special piracy software would be needed. However this will only be a matter of time. The DVD movie protection system DeCSS was broken a while back so I imagine DVD movie piracy software would be readily available.

What do you think this means for the future of the DVD movie industry??

My opinion is that it probably wont make much of a difference until the price of DVDR media drops, but if it ever dropped as low as CDR media then Piracy could seriously effect the industry.
Sun 08/04/01 at 12:09
Regular
Answer this honestly:

Have you ever taped anything from Radio, TV, another tape/CD/LP?

Sun 08/04/01 at 18:22
Yes Ive taped movies of the TV, and music off the radio. Who hasnt
Sun 08/04/01 at 21:09
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
it never really will affect it. Not everyone will have access. CD writers havent exactly killed of the music and games industry..
Tue 10/04/01 at 08:36
Im just wondering what the advertising campaign to stop people buying DVD copies will be like. At present the VHS campaign is

my video doesnt work mate...the sounds terrible etc..

...got a reciept mate, got a reciept...oral contract not worth the paper its printed on...

Maybe it will be like, poor Mr Lucas spent Millions on the Latest Phantom Menace..and now hes pennyless as somebody made pefect DVD copies and sold them for £5 down the market.

Actually it will more likely tell us that video pirates fund massive drug dealing gangs, itll be interesting!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.