GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The almighty realism debate (Sorted)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/04/01 at 10:54
Regular
The dream, which many a developer has been striving for, is the dream that one day the gamers will feel like they are in a movie, in their very own adventure. In order to create this developers need to go down the road of interactive stories, Virtual reality and a way to bypass the players memory which will remember which guard is where.

These changes though could radically change the gaming industry, as we know it and this radical change may not be for the better. So should realism be a factor in developer’s minds when it comes to creating their next masterpiece. Isn’t the world of gaming today already a fun and enjoyable one and to risk a change to the industry in order to make games more real, a risk we should really take?

Well I believe that the step over to realism has already happened and that games today are as real as they will ever be. Pokémon involves you hunting down little (or large) monsters, capturing them in balls the size of your hand and training them up in order to fight other such monsters, not exactly very real and few of you would argue otherwise. So why then whilst you are playing Nintendo’s little masterpiece do you not notice the time flow by or your mother calling for dinner. Because you are so transfixed by the game it has sucked you in and you become the little guy on screen, you get attached to these digital monsters and you grow a hatred for your archrival.

But surly these emotions shouldn’t be here because the game isn’t real! But any game that can make you fall in love, Fell upset and create hatred for people who aren’t even real, a game that is as close to reality than anything will ever be. So it isn’t graphics or interactive stories, which make games real, it is the gameplay, which will forever be the most important factor in any games, which creates realism in games.

Here’s the future

Dringo
Sat 07/04/01 at 10:54
Regular
The dream, which many a developer has been striving for, is the dream that one day the gamers will feel like they are in a movie, in their very own adventure. In order to create this developers need to go down the road of interactive stories, Virtual reality and a way to bypass the players memory which will remember which guard is where.

These changes though could radically change the gaming industry, as we know it and this radical change may not be for the better. So should realism be a factor in developer’s minds when it comes to creating their next masterpiece. Isn’t the world of gaming today already a fun and enjoyable one and to risk a change to the industry in order to make games more real, a risk we should really take?

Well I believe that the step over to realism has already happened and that games today are as real as they will ever be. Pokémon involves you hunting down little (or large) monsters, capturing them in balls the size of your hand and training them up in order to fight other such monsters, not exactly very real and few of you would argue otherwise. So why then whilst you are playing Nintendo’s little masterpiece do you not notice the time flow by or your mother calling for dinner. Because you are so transfixed by the game it has sucked you in and you become the little guy on screen, you get attached to these digital monsters and you grow a hatred for your archrival.

But surly these emotions shouldn’t be here because the game isn’t real! But any game that can make you fall in love, Fell upset and create hatred for people who aren’t even real, a game that is as close to reality than anything will ever be. So it isn’t graphics or interactive stories, which make games real, it is the gameplay, which will forever be the most important factor in any games, which creates realism in games.

Here’s the future

Dringo
Sat 07/04/01 at 10:58
Dringo, maybe that 'real games' is a good thing. This doesn't mean you will lose the non real games, it's just that you will have the choice, real or not real, that is the question! (sorry, been doing shakespear all term 2 WEEKS OFF! i need it!)
Sat 07/04/01 at 10:59
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
I think Shenmue was the height of realism. Even then it would have been boring to have to go to the bog. Or would it? You could have a toilet-o-meter which fills up gradually and when it gets in the red you have to go to the bog or you will wet/crap yourself and be publically humiliated. Now that would sell...........
Sat 07/04/01 at 11:04
Duke Nukem you could pee. But a pee monitor? That's somthing which should of been in conker!
Sat 07/04/01 at 11:06
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
You could also pee in the South Park game on the snowballs. But that was pretty crap!
Sat 07/04/01 at 11:08
By it for the multi player.
Sat 07/04/01 at 11:20
Regular
No... that was crap too.
Sat 07/04/01 at 12:27
yeh twas
Sat 07/04/01 at 12:33
Regular
This is not almighty.
Sat 07/04/01 at 20:57
Regular
Mr. Dark wrote:
> Dringo, maybe that 'real games' is a good thing. This doesn't mean
> you will lose the non real games, it's just that you will have the
> choice, real or not real, that is the question! (sorry, been doing
> shakespear all term 2 WEEKS OFF! i need it!)

Ok but did you read what i wrote. I said realism already exists!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.