GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fitness Freaks?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/03/04 at 19:56
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
:) Having just insulted you I'm now hoping you'll be helpful :P

Anyone who has seen my pic on Special Observe will probably notice I'm what you'd call "overweight" and probably bordering on obese actually. Before the "who ate all the pies" etc joke replies start I'd point out that it's not all from overeating but something else as well, but that's not relevant.

Going off tracks...

If I wanted a piece of exercise equipment what would be best out of:

treadmill
exercise bike

From what little I have read I know that rowing machines are supposed to be quite good, as are these eliptical trainer things...but I want to start gentle.

The only gym in town is £35 a month so I figure that I may as well just buy my own stuff....swimming is also no good to me because without my glasses on I'm as shortsighted as...erm a very shortsighted person. With my glasses on I can't go underwater or wear goggles so my eyes soon end up hurting like hell...

Also if anyone knows any good online stores for the stuff, 'cause only Argos sells it where I live, though they seem to have a lot of stuff available.

Anyone?
Sun 14/03/04 at 19:56
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
:) Having just insulted you I'm now hoping you'll be helpful :P

Anyone who has seen my pic on Special Observe will probably notice I'm what you'd call "overweight" and probably bordering on obese actually. Before the "who ate all the pies" etc joke replies start I'd point out that it's not all from overeating but something else as well, but that's not relevant.

Going off tracks...

If I wanted a piece of exercise equipment what would be best out of:

treadmill
exercise bike

From what little I have read I know that rowing machines are supposed to be quite good, as are these eliptical trainer things...but I want to start gentle.

The only gym in town is £35 a month so I figure that I may as well just buy my own stuff....swimming is also no good to me because without my glasses on I'm as shortsighted as...erm a very shortsighted person. With my glasses on I can't go underwater or wear goggles so my eyes soon end up hurting like hell...

Also if anyone knows any good online stores for the stuff, 'cause only Argos sells it where I live, though they seem to have a lot of stuff available.

Anyone?
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:05
Regular
"cachoo"
Exercise equipment is a waste of space and money, especially if you don't stick to it.

Walking is the best! Nono.. seriously is. Also gets some lovely fresh air into those lungs! Takes a while, but it's goood. Be cruel to yourself!
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:06
Regular
Best bet would be buying either a cycling bike or a fitness bike. Road run as well, thats what I do. Although I go to a JJB gym as equipment is too expensive and down there I can get everything, swimming, bike, running etc.
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:09
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
I know walking is best, but my only real free time for that is weekends (when I have other stuff) or at night (and that's likely to be very unhealthy. :(
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:12
Regular
"cachoo"
Belldandy wrote:
> I know walking is best, but my only real free time for that is
> weekends (when I have other stuff) or at night (and that's likely to
> be very unhealthy. :(

Walking/Working out at night-time is unhealthy?
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:16
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Ms NY wrote:
> Belldandy wrote:
> I know walking is best, but my only real free time for that is
> weekends (when I have other stuff) or at night (and that's likely to
> be very unhealthy. :(
>
> Walking/Working out at night-time is unhealthy?

Yes. It's perfectly fine around here during the day, but at night...well I can see the Police helicopter from my window...
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:18
Regular
"SOUP!"
I run about 8kms an most weekends which keeps me at a pretty balanced weight. I recommend getting "into shape" first, do running on a night, a mile or so a few nights a week. Don't go to a gym unless you want to do weights, it's artificial excercise and is pretty pointless paying to run on a moving path when you can run for free on a path outside.

Since you're a fairly big bloke, and you look rather tall too, take up a hobby that helps you get excercise. Boxing is a lot of fun and you'll get mightily toned doing it too.

*drinks beer and eats crisps*

I'm happy.
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:19
Regular
"SOUP!"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Although I go to a JJB gym

As in JJB sports who own all those sports shops? They have gyms?
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:46
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
Ok this is how I'd start. Firstly that short sighted excuse for swimming is poor. If you are willing to invest in home gym equipment then surely your should be willing to invest in prescription googles. Yes they do exist and a mate of mine has some. They look almost identical to normal ones but he can see when swimming funilly enough.

However if you still dont want to do that then I'd advise as an easy form of gentle exercise that you can easilly just pick up, play badminton! I have played it since I was about 8 and it's a great fun if you can just find a few mates to play it with, or, join a team at your local sports centre. I pressume your gym is also a sports centre? You'd only have to invest in a baminton racket which costs anything from £10 to £200 so I'm sure you could pick up one cheap or invest a bit more.

If you are set about the whole home gym idea then I advise you buy some wrist weights that can also be strapped to your ankles. They come in packs of two for about £5 but buy four, put them all on and just wear them casually around the house. They weigh you down a fair bit but eventually your body adjusts to the extra weight as you get stronger. Ideally you'd wear them while running round the neighbourhood or something but I would feel like I was making a spectacle of myself so you probably don't want to do that either. Dumb bells are also a good investment. If you stick to a routine of loads of different exercises using them they can be of great help to you too. Finally I'd suggest investing in a running machine and water bottle for two reasons. The first is that cycling can make you sterile (scientifically proven). I know you'd have to cycle a LOT for any real effect but I aint going to break my truncheon if you get my meaning. Also running machines can start off as an easy form of exercise with light jogs downhill to uphill running marathons. Combined with your wrist and ankle weights it'll be great exercise. Hope I've been of some help.
Sun 14/03/04 at 20:46
Regular
"That's right!"
Get the exercise bike, and go running for real. Of course, going on an exercise bike or treadmill is really, REALLY boring. Seriously. 10 minutes feels like 10 hours. So put some music on, or read. You'll go insane otherwise.

But, yeah, go running. It's easy, it's free, and if you go at 8/9pm no-one will laugh at you. Run in a big circle (don't know how where you live is set out, but here I can run a dozen different ways and always get back to my house) and walk the last couple of minutes (if you run then stop, your muscles seize up) to get your breath back. Keep running the same path until you can do it quickly and easily, then add a bit more to your run.

Oh, and start doing push ups and sit ups in your house - anywhere, your bedroom, your living room, even the hallway. Again, they're easy and most importantly, free. Literally takes 20-30 seconds to do 30 sit ups. 30 seconds of your day each day is nothing, but the results are great after a few weeks/months.

Edit -

"I pressume your gym is also a sports centre?"

In the whole four years I've been into working out, I've never been to one single REAL gym which is also a sports centre. A gym's a gym. Leisure centre gyms aren't gymns, they're places for old women to go.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.