GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"linux"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/02/04 at 17:45
Regular
"Nice Knowing You"
anybody here know how to program linux, or how to learn how to. i can program in a few languages, and i dunno how 2 do this 1. which would be handy cos i can aquire a linux operating unit.
Mon 09/02/04 at 20:00
unknown kernel wrote:
, legal
> copies of distributions from somewhere like linuxemporium.co.uk or
> pay more for a commercial distribution with support.

Excellent place, bought from there myself.
Mon 09/02/04 at 07:08
Regular
Thanks for the help, both Gamezfreak and Unknown Kernel. I should be re-installing some time this week (when I can be bothered backing up all my crap to DVD) So I'll hunt down a Linux tonight methinks :)
Fri 06/02/04 at 16:09
Regular
"Nice Knowing You"
yeah i got broadband, and XP so i will give it a shot - i ahve found a few linex downloads on the web and a help guide - thanks everyone
Fri 06/02/04 at 15:45
Regular
"relocated"
If you go for a less hardcore ditribution than gentoo then dual-booting with XP is incredibly easy: install XP first then run the Linux install and there'll be a wizard that will pretty much automate partitioning your hard drive and installing a bootloader. (Actually that description is much scarier than the real thing.)

And Kingy, if you aren't on broadband then you can buy cheap, legal copies of distributions from somewhere like linuxemporium.co.uk or pay more for a commercial distribution with support.
Fri 06/02/04 at 15:01
Regular
ßulle††™ wrote:
> Can you run Linux on a dual-boot setup with XP?

Yes

I've got that setup on my machine. I use Linux for everything, and windows for gaming. It a bootmanager called LILO (Linux Loader) Which appears on startup, allowing you to choose between your operating systems.

I heartily reccomend Gentoo Linux, but it is quite an experiance setting it up, read up on it first.
Fri 06/02/04 at 13:08
Regular
Thanks, but that doesn't show as supporting Linux.

It's probably a similar method though.
Fri 06/02/04 at 13:04
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
http://support.microsoft.com/ default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306559
Fri 06/02/04 at 13:01
Regular
Do ya know how? I'm reinstalling my system soon, so might give Linux a shot.
Fri 06/02/04 at 12:56
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
ßulle††™ wrote:
> Can you run Linux on a dual-boot setup with XP?

I believe so.
Fri 06/02/04 at 12:55
Regular
Can you run Linux on a dual-boot setup with XP?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.