GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tabloid Rant"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/02/04 at 16:59
Regular
"SOUP!"
Unfortunately, I'm not having a rant about tabloids (not just yet, anyway) but I am writing a creative writing piece about the flaws on tabloid newspapers.

I want other peoples opinions on why they dislike tabloids. I turn to the Life Forum as it is the place where the more educated people post, and I would hope your response would be from an educated point of view. My target audience is more 'quality newspaper' readers with an educated perspective, and hopefully some of you fit into that category

Give me some things you dislike about tabloids and they will be researched and written about.

Thanks in advance.
Mon 09/02/04 at 15:28
Regular
"SOUP!"
Cheers for all this. I'm starting to write the propper thing now.
Mon 09/02/04 at 14:19
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Why I hate the Mail;

Most of the time, the dominant ideology;

'Asylum seekers are scum, leeching off the nation, lets exterminate them'

Yesterday

'Let us find the evil traffickers who killed the poor 19 Chinese immigrants, God Rest Them' etc.

Hypocritical and pitying, not even sympathetic.

Evil.
Mon 09/02/04 at 13:44
"I love yo... lamp."
Well Independant readers can't complain about tabloids now considering that the Scottish version has moved to a tabloid format. It is thought that the paper might move that way for all editions.

And if you like Jeremy Clarkson, get the Sunday Times. He has a column in the main section and a column in the driving section. Both are brilliant.
Sun 08/02/04 at 18:43
Regular
"SOUP!"
Jeremy Clarkson's column is brilliant on a saturday.

The Metro is a nice little freebie paper, I wouldnt justify spending 30p on it though.
Sun 08/02/04 at 18:04
Regular
"Excommunicated"
The Metro

Now theres a paper
Sun 08/02/04 at 18:00
Regular
I read The Sun on my lunch break at work, It's a newspaper that may "sex up" news and gossip, but it's something to read and some things can prove interesting, like Jeremy Clarksons column and Page 3.

I think people who use the "Oh i'm so clever, I read The Independant, unlike you tabloid-commoner-scum" are to far up their own rectum to understand that its just a newspaper, sheets of recycled paper with information printed onto it.
Sun 08/02/04 at 12:06
Regular
"SOUP!"
More rants, please...
Sat 07/02/04 at 13:49
Regular
"SOUP!"
Biggles, write me an essay...
Fri 06/02/04 at 00:17
"I love yo... lamp."
Why do I not like tabloids?

My main reason, above all else, the business news is stinking. Really bad. The one paper I always get is the Financial Times.

Apart from that, it isn't journalism or reporting. It is simply story telling using real people and places, to keep the average Joe who has a few pints and fags after work whilst still in his riggers and boiler suit (no offence intended to anyone who is actually like that) paying his 30p and to sell loads of advertising space.

They exist also to humiliate and drag down people. I am not a fan of celebrities, but I don't like the way the tabloids drag them down and belittle them all the time. If I wanted celebrity "news" I would look up the internet.

And just in case people actually get bored of it all, they (the tabloids) get outraged on the publics behalf. Well thank you, but I can get annoyed about things without you having to tell me too. I do not need you and your campaigns.

Another thing that gets me is how the tabloids have another world geogrphically speaking. There really is only Britain and the United States in the tabloids. And everywhere else pretty much is relegated to funny fillers. Well you know, some of the things that happen in Germany or Japan etc ARE of importance and can effect the world. I like to hear about those things.

But I suppose I have to mention the second biggest put off for me. How the tabloids don't really report on matters, they just give a biased "Labour/Tories and Blair/Howard are evil (delete as appropriate)" view to most things.

However there is one good thing about tabloids. They generally have better sports sections, which are at least of some interest to me occasionally.

Oh and the cartoons... how could I forget them?! Some tabloids have Dilbert and Garfield. That is about it.
Thu 05/02/04 at 21:44
Regular
"That's right!"
Here's a good example. Front page headline of The Daily Mail a couple of days ago was about the "scourge of suburbia" - a group of kids who stole dozens of cars who had been caught.

The same story got a few lines in Metro, the free paper on metros/buses.

The Mail makes me laugh.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.