GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wenger signs Spanish starlet"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/01/04 at 15:29
Regular
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has boosted his Champions League hopes by signing Spain international Jose Antonio Reyes from Sevilla.

Reports claim the 20-year-old winger will cost the Gunners around £16.6 million and he will treble his earnings by moving to Highbury.

Reyes is expected to arrive at Highbury this week to complete a medical and meet his new team-mates and the player's own website claims he could make his Premiership debut against Manchester City
Thu 29/01/04 at 00:50
"High polygon count"
Personally, I like Wiltord and would be sad to see him go.

The problem is (or at least was, at one time) that he wanted to play as a striker, and we had better quality strikers available.

I always thought he gave his best performances when playing on the right wing, but alas he doesn't want to play there.

His recent absence has been more through injury than anything else, though.
Wed 28/01/04 at 22:05
"Darkness, always"
Because, of course, when Wiltord arrived, Arsenal fans country-wide cringed knowing fully how badly he would perform, and how much a waste of money he was.

No wait...
Wed 28/01/04 at 21:09
Regular
Yea well Reyes isn't like Wiltord... he has LOADS of talent compared to wiltord.
Wed 28/01/04 at 20:52
Regular
Ah, so all they are actually paying this year is £6.9M

Makes a lot more sense anyway now.
Wed 28/01/04 at 20:04
"Darkness, always"
Silent-Scope wrote:
> Can you stop getting all speculative about Arsenal when you don't
> even support them.. just wait and see what he does.

Are you saying that I don't recognise that Wiltord is an over-expensive flop, who is highly likely to leave the club in order to find first-team football in the twilight years of his career?

Now, I;m not saying that Utd don;t have their own over-expensive flops, but you can't really deny that Arsene has certainly made shrewder buys than Sloppy Silvain.
Wed 28/01/04 at 18:30
"High polygon count"
Also from Arsenal.com...

-----

'He has Overmars' wing play and Bergkamp's elegance'
By Chris Harris

Aside from a few glimpses of television footage, the majority of Arsenal fans won't have seen José Reyes in action.

In his capacity as journalist for Spanish newspaper El Pais, Santiago Fuertes has seen Reyes grace many a game. He insists that the Highbury faithful will not be disappointed.

"He is very fast, a quick dribbler, he has a lot of imagination and is very creative," he told Arsenal.com.

"He has been compared with Joaquin, another young Spanish international who plays on the right for Real Betis.

"But a better comparison for Arsenal fans is that he has some of Dennis Bergkamp's elegance and some of the pace and wing play of Marc Overmars."

A fusion of those great Dutch talents would be very welcome, and if Fuertes is proved right then Arsenal have a gem on their hands.

It seems that the Reyes in Spain played mainly on the left. But he is not an out-and-out winger and could fill a number of roles at Highbury, a factor which no doubt attracted Wenger.

"He has a good left foot and has done well on the left for Seville, but he prefers a central role behind the main striker," agrees Fuertes.

"I think he has the qualities to improve Arsenal although he is young and needs time to settle into a new country and a new culture."

"It's a surprise that he left Spain because he has only known Seville during his career so England will be very different for him, from the football to the climate."

Reyes has been thrown in at the deep end as far as the climate is concerned with a blast of Arctic weather forcing Brits to dig out their thermals this week.

But when the young Spaniard decides to brave the English winter, he will have at least one friendly face eager to introduce him to a new culture.

"Lauren played for Cameroon but was born in Seville and still visits the city," says Fuertes. "He already knows Reyes and can help him settle in."

It's tempting to say that Arsenal's fans have never had it so good. Wenger has already drafted in Vieira, Henry, Pires, Ljungberg, Campbell and a host of precocious youngsters during his time in charge.
Wed 28/01/04 at 18:28
"High polygon count"
Absolu† Neó wrote:
> Because from what ive read, the fee is £20 million +

From Arsenal.com...

"The initial consideration is €15 million (£10.5m), of which €10 million is payable immediately. Additional consideration of up to €9.5 million may become payable, subject to various appearance and performance criteria being satisfied. Arsenal does not expect any of the above sums, other than the initial €10 million fee, to become payable in its current financial year."
Wed 28/01/04 at 18:00
down wrote:

> Sevilla won that game 4-1,
Wed 28/01/04 at 15:19
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Will we ever KNOW how much he moved for? Does it even matter?

Just let him come over here and then judge the little tyke on what he does.
Wed 28/01/04 at 14:54
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
That works out to £17 million, which is still a lot but time will tell.

I still don't know why Sevilla claim it's more than Beckham?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.