GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Batman: Arkham Asylum"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Batman: Arkham Asylum'.
Fri 28/08/09 at 15:42
Regular
Comic book games tend to be very hit and miss - so often do they get the visual element right but just not have the content to support it, such as, say, Mortal Kombat vs D.C. Universe, where much of the spirit was awkward because they had to accomodate too mythologies that don't really mesh well together - but none have succeeded as fiercely as Batman: Arkham Asylum, where we are treated to a whole new story that fits in nice and snug with the tone and feel of the comics.

If you didn't have enough of The Joker with Heath Ledger's stunning portrayal in The Dark Knight last year, he's back for another run around. The game begins as you throw him in Arkham, but soon enough, The Joker, along with his female equivalent Harley Quinn and innumerable other nameless baddies, have turned the tables, kidknapping Jim Gordon and numerous others, making Batman play a sadistic game if he wants to return them safely.

The first thing you'll notice is simply how well realised the game's universe is - anyone that's ever read the comics or simply even watched the films will appreciate the meticulous level of care taken in recreating this living and breathing world, and most of all the dingy, dilapidated asylum itself, which just makes you want to shower after taking one look at it. There are a few blips, as is common with cut-scene heavy games, where characters simply look too robotic, a sort of glazed-over look, combined with some sketchy lip syncing.

That said, when combining these splendid visuals with the aural package, it's an undoubtedly slick and satisfying package. Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker himself) reprises his role from the Batman Animated Series as The Joker, whilst Kevin Conroy also returns to lend his gruff voice to The Caped Crusader himself. Clearly, this is a game crafted with care, and due attention has been paid by and to those who really care about this mythos.

What would all of this be without the requisite gameplay, though? Well, Arkham also delivers in this department - this is THE definitive Batman game, You'll crawl around vents, you'll swoop from the rafters and ambush your enemies, and perhaps most satisfyingly of all, you'll engage in brutal hand-to-hand fights. The combat is simply delivered but comprehensive for those wishing to master it - it revolves around simply four buttons, but stringing the various moves together allows you to execute some stunningly brutal combos, allowing you to spectacularly lay waste to the evil denizens of Arkham. Also of note is the ability to enter a gliding stealth mode, where you can drop from the rafters of a building and either stun the enemy, or drag them away to their doom. What's more? These special attacks fill an XP bar that allows you, in RPG fashion, to level up your abilities and hone both your weaponry and striking abilities.

Arkham Asylum isn't only one of the very best comic book games to come along in several years, it's one of the better franchise titles to come down the pipe in a while, after a relatively dry Summer with regard to killer apps. Arkham delivers everything a Batman nut could imaginably desire, along with several extra treats you'd doubtless never think of. From the batsuit, which gains damage throughout the game, to the ability to control the batarang remotely, this is a loving adaptation of one of the quintessential comic book heroes, and sets a very high bar for future comic book adaptations. Any self-respecting fan owes it to themselves to get this game.

9/10

Thanks for reading,
Reefer
Mon 26/10/09 at 18:35
Regular
Can anyone help me please i am stuck on batman arkham asylum and cannot get back into the bat cave!!
Tue 01/09/09 at 07:45
Regular
"THFC"
Good review!

I think i am like 15% through, not given it enough time yet but it is a great game. Once i get through then i shall post a review.
Mon 31/08/09 at 15:10
Regular
I was very lucky and surprised to get the game delivered a day early. So I ploughed through it that afternoon and reviewed it that night!

SUCH a good game. Currently on my second playthrough.
Fri 28/08/09 at 16:33
Regular
"I like turtles"
Nice review,

How the hell did you manage to play through and review it so fast ?,the game only came out today !.

Will probably pick this up when funds permit as I thought the demo was really good.
Fri 28/08/09 at 15:42
Regular
Comic book games tend to be very hit and miss - so often do they get the visual element right but just not have the content to support it, such as, say, Mortal Kombat vs D.C. Universe, where much of the spirit was awkward because they had to accomodate too mythologies that don't really mesh well together - but none have succeeded as fiercely as Batman: Arkham Asylum, where we are treated to a whole new story that fits in nice and snug with the tone and feel of the comics.

If you didn't have enough of The Joker with Heath Ledger's stunning portrayal in The Dark Knight last year, he's back for another run around. The game begins as you throw him in Arkham, but soon enough, The Joker, along with his female equivalent Harley Quinn and innumerable other nameless baddies, have turned the tables, kidknapping Jim Gordon and numerous others, making Batman play a sadistic game if he wants to return them safely.

The first thing you'll notice is simply how well realised the game's universe is - anyone that's ever read the comics or simply even watched the films will appreciate the meticulous level of care taken in recreating this living and breathing world, and most of all the dingy, dilapidated asylum itself, which just makes you want to shower after taking one look at it. There are a few blips, as is common with cut-scene heavy games, where characters simply look too robotic, a sort of glazed-over look, combined with some sketchy lip syncing.

That said, when combining these splendid visuals with the aural package, it's an undoubtedly slick and satisfying package. Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker himself) reprises his role from the Batman Animated Series as The Joker, whilst Kevin Conroy also returns to lend his gruff voice to The Caped Crusader himself. Clearly, this is a game crafted with care, and due attention has been paid by and to those who really care about this mythos.

What would all of this be without the requisite gameplay, though? Well, Arkham also delivers in this department - this is THE definitive Batman game, You'll crawl around vents, you'll swoop from the rafters and ambush your enemies, and perhaps most satisfyingly of all, you'll engage in brutal hand-to-hand fights. The combat is simply delivered but comprehensive for those wishing to master it - it revolves around simply four buttons, but stringing the various moves together allows you to execute some stunningly brutal combos, allowing you to spectacularly lay waste to the evil denizens of Arkham. Also of note is the ability to enter a gliding stealth mode, where you can drop from the rafters of a building and either stun the enemy, or drag them away to their doom. What's more? These special attacks fill an XP bar that allows you, in RPG fashion, to level up your abilities and hone both your weaponry and striking abilities.

Arkham Asylum isn't only one of the very best comic book games to come along in several years, it's one of the better franchise titles to come down the pipe in a while, after a relatively dry Summer with regard to killer apps. Arkham delivers everything a Batman nut could imaginably desire, along with several extra treats you'd doubtless never think of. From the batsuit, which gains damage throughout the game, to the ability to control the batarang remotely, this is a loving adaptation of one of the quintessential comic book heroes, and sets a very high bar for future comic book adaptations. Any self-respecting fan owes it to themselves to get this game.

9/10

Thanks for reading,
Reefer

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.