GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fear of Crime/Terror etc."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/08/09 at 11:25
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I was just wondering in your opinion if we didn't have newspapers, news coverage and the like would there be so much fear of crime?

Obviously fear is generated by first hand experiences so it'll never be eradicated entirely but if the media didn't focus on telling us how unsafe the streets are would people feel safer?

I think most people who fear crime probably haven't got any other reason to fear than that they've been told to do so by the media. I just think it's a shame if this is the case as it makes people worry about what'll happen if they do leave their house. People shouldn't have to have a constant nagging on their back of their minds about what might be around the corner of the street.

I don't know, maybe it's just easy to blame the media for this and maybe it's something else that causes fear of crime. It's just strange that the statistics seem to show crime falling, yet the fear of it is rising at an ever increasing rate. What do you think causes the fear of crime aside from actual experience of crime and how can it be tackled?

I also find it quite weird now that people tend to avoid talking to others unless they have to. Like if someone is waiting at a bus stop with another person what is it that prevents them having a conversation to pass the time? Even if it's just a simple talk about the weather. Does this link to the whole fear of crime and what might happen if they do speak to each other?
Tue 25/08/09 at 16:51
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Ha how confusing. Yeah I've been doing it for almost 4 months now. :)
Are you one as well?
Sat 22/08/09 at 13:11
Regular
easy! I didnt know you did that. :-)

Digi
Sat 22/08/09 at 10:32
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I thought that's what you meant, but how did you know that's what I do? :-s
Sat 22/08/09 at 00:21
Regular
Special Police Constable
Fri 21/08/09 at 11:22
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Digitrader wrote:
> As A SPC your are right to fear crime hyped or not, it is real
> problem with or with out media attention.

I don't know if it's a good thing to fear crime, be aware yes, but people shouldn't have to live in constant fear of what might happen. In a way I guess it's good that it is constantly in the news because it reminds us it does need to be tackled and can keep the police/government held to account. But at the same time I don't think it's a good thing to hold people in a state of fear by creating stories about how around every corner is someone who is out to get you, or how that the youths of today can't be approached.

(Also sorry A SPC?)

> Comming from a very rural area in Scotland I was shocked on my
> first visit to London that no one spoke (i.e. Morning !) as you
> wait for the bus, we are still civillised here in the rural parts
> of Scotland we still speak to our neighbours but you seldom see
> it in a city. There was a report of a lady who died ( 5 years)
> her neighbours thought she just kept herself to herself, 5 years
> she lay dead and this was in UK.

I guess it could simply be the type of area you live in then. It's very strange where I come from. I live in a small town and most people will say 'morning' etc. but in the next town across, bigger than where I live, this has all but faded. I just find it very weird.
Fri 21/08/09 at 05:27
Regular
As A SPC your are right to fear crime hyped or not, it is real problem with or with out media attention.

Causes are varied from bebt to drugs to just plain spur of the moment madness, the effects are the same that those attacked or violated will take a long time to get over the invasion of their own space.

Comming from a very rural area in Scotland I was shocked on my first visit to London that no one spoke (i.e. Morning !) as you wait for the bus, we are still civillised here in the rural parts of Scotland we still speak to our neighbours but you seldom see it in a city. There was a report of a lady who died ( 5 years) her neighbours thought she just kept herself to herself, 5 years she lay dead and this was in UK.

Bring back old fashioned values :-)

Digi
Fri 21/08/09 at 00:35
Regular
I live in a relatively small suburb, and yes, I would still fear it if there was no news, internet etc. The reason is plain to see, even 5 years ago there was nothing bad happening well into the night. No gangs curled up in an area drinking alcohol, no suspicious types walking around with a hostile glaze in their deadset eyes, and generally the behaviour of people was more kind and friendly. Even in the daytime in our little high street area there are skinhead types and your average citizen may hurl abuse at you or at best, ignore you. A lot of the kids purposely pick on a vulnerable target, just for their amusement. I don't see why there is such a sudden change to 5-10 years ago.

Also now at night, especially the weekends, there are joyriders having speed races outside my house (which is facing a main road), and a couple of months ago I watched outside my bedroom window as some thugs got out of a car to confront a lone guy with a metal bar! The police arrived soon after, with 2 cars and 2 vans. I had never seen anything like it before in my previously quiet area. And I know its the summer holidays, but its also common to hear kids playing well past midnight, something that never happened in the past.

In general the whole area just seems to have been replaced by people with a more aggressive, carefree mentality than before.
Thu 20/08/09 at 12:08
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
There is a lot less rioting and general poublic violence over fears now that we can stream and control it through the media.

However it gives a platform heard by millions to stupid and irrelavalent views (swine flu anyone)
Thu 20/08/09 at 11:42
"possibly impossible"
I think it would surface in other ways anyway but, yes, the media does have a big impact on how we view the world for better or worse.

As for speaking to people, it's mostly a big city thing I think. Every morning I wait at the bus stop and every morning someone says hello or talks about the weather or something, towns seem to be quite friendly.
Thu 20/08/09 at 11:25
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I was just wondering in your opinion if we didn't have newspapers, news coverage and the like would there be so much fear of crime?

Obviously fear is generated by first hand experiences so it'll never be eradicated entirely but if the media didn't focus on telling us how unsafe the streets are would people feel safer?

I think most people who fear crime probably haven't got any other reason to fear than that they've been told to do so by the media. I just think it's a shame if this is the case as it makes people worry about what'll happen if they do leave their house. People shouldn't have to have a constant nagging on their back of their minds about what might be around the corner of the street.

I don't know, maybe it's just easy to blame the media for this and maybe it's something else that causes fear of crime. It's just strange that the statistics seem to show crime falling, yet the fear of it is rising at an ever increasing rate. What do you think causes the fear of crime aside from actual experience of crime and how can it be tackled?

I also find it quite weird now that people tend to avoid talking to others unless they have to. Like if someone is waiting at a bus stop with another person what is it that prevents them having a conversation to pass the time? Even if it's just a simple talk about the weather. Does this link to the whole fear of crime and what might happen if they do speak to each other?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.