GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wii Sports Resort"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Wii Sports Resort'.
Tue 18/08/09 at 09:26
"possibly impossible"
What’s the usual way to start your brand new game? A menu screen, perhaps? How about a cinematic movie to introduce the characters? What about being pushed out of an aeroplane and having to work out controls as you plummet through the clouds, linking hands with other parachutists? Well, that’s how Wii Sports Resort starts.

It turns out that this is an ideal start to a game which reminds you just what the Wii remote was for in the first place. The nice little intro game gives you a real bird’s eye view of the island which will be your home for the duration of the game. The blue skies welcome you and the picturesque town below looks very inviting.

From here you get your menu system to choose from a range of games, it’s actually far more structured than Wii Sports was. From the offset there are 12 different activities to try out. Successfully completeting events in these 12 will unlock variations on the games so, for instance, playing the sword fighting will then unlock an object cutting game and a (very good) sword battle.

The easiest way to review these is to run through them, one by one.

Swordplay
The game we’ve all been waiting for since Wii Motionplus was first announced, Swordplay is probably the game that shows the potential of the new peripheral best.

You start by having a Gladiators style match with an opponent (human on Wii controlled) and then go on to unlock an object chopping mode (chop objects the right way) and, better still, a fight around the island which really feels quite special and is the closest you’ll get to your Zorro fantasies until Red Steel 2 or another sword based game arrives.

Wakeboarding
Doing tricks on a Wakeboard sounds like fun, but this game makes things a bit too simple. Wakeboarding is still fun though and relies more on doing tricks than any sort of racing. Once you get the hang of chaining more tricks together you can go for a top score.

Because the controls are quite easy to get the hang of, it’s another good one for younger players.

Frisbee
Frisbee is odd, play it solo and you might shrug. The dog is nice enough and my youngsters were very happy just to go back time and time again to watch him catch the frisbee, but it’s not that enthralling,even when you need to pop balloons. But play together and Frisbee is a great competitive sport. Not only that, but you get to unlock Frisbee golf, which is far more fun to play, even solo. Play this in real life and you’d get chucked off the golf course.

There is even a simple mode for children which allows you to throw the frisbee with the remote without having to press any buttons. My 5 year old managed to get some good scores this way and it was nice to be able to compete with her using the two different control systems.

Archery
Archery is another impressive game that shows off the accuracy of the new controller. It’s also great fun to play with friends, though don’t expect them to be friends for much longer as you frantically work to beat each other’s scores. Difficult for the kids, but great for adults.

Basketball
I had my doubts whether this would be any good. It’s only 3 on 3, after all. But actually, Basketball is very entertaining. It’s quite competitive too, expect some heated matches, and again it’s quite hard for the kids to get a handle on the different buttons. Ultimately, Basketball will be one that people come back to again and again I think.

Table Tennis
Wii Sports had proper tennis, this sort of feels like a step down, but at the same time the finer control system works really well, adding a new sense of skill to the game. Motionplus makes it that much harder, having to think about the angle of your bat, but play it two player and you’re in for a treat. It’s a fast paced adrenaline rush.

Golf
This is far better than the Wii Sports game, all due to MotionPlus. It’s so much more responsive and even gives Tiger Woods a run for its money, though the lack of any more courses means it has less play time. More than any of the other games, Golf shows how much things have improved with the new control system and it’s another multiplayer hit.
The tighter controls mean that youngsters will find it far more difficult, though, but the option to make things simple for them is still there from the original.

Bowling[6]
All the other games have either been added or improved from Wii Sports, but Bowling doesn’t really feel any different. Bar the 100 pin game, which is a larger verion of the Wii Sports unlockable game, it pretty much plays the same as the first. This is no bad thing, mind you, as the original was so much fun to begin with.

Power Cruising
If you’re expecting Waverace you’re going to be disappointed (I know I was!), but Power Cruising is still a good little game with some fun elements like the slipstreaming behind other racers. The jet skis are quite tricky to control at first but when you get used to them it makes for a fast paced race.

I’m not sure why Nintendo decided to go for a dual control approach here, though, the Wii Remote alone (in a Mario Kart style) would have been a far better control system and easier for the kids to get used to.

Canoeing
Speaking of control systems, Canoeing took me ages to get used to. It involves holding your remote like a two handed paddle and moving from side to side. I guess it’s pretty realistic in terms of control, but it takes a while to get to grips with the paddling.
However, once you’ve got it down, Canoeing can be great fun and another game that really form a challenge between players. The extra modes on offer here are all good fun, especially the race between points.

Cycling
Cycling is the most energetic of the games here. I was literally sweating when I finished unlocking all the courses. The latter stages see you going up the volcano in the centre of the island and the mix of uphill racing and preventing your Mii from getting too tired (where they stop for a drink and watch everyone else go past) gives the game a good strategic approach.

The controls are quite odd, it’s a bit like pushing peddles around with your hands rather than your feet. It works though, even though your arms will ache afterwards.

This was my daughter’s favorite game and I watched quite happily as she raced with my wife to get first place while avoiding the lava or steep drops.

Air Sports
The last game isn’t really much of a game at all. With 2 players you can play a sort of dogfight with balloons (think Mario Kart’s balloon popping multiplayer) but the planes are so small that you hardly ever see each other.

However, playing the island exploring mode you get to see all the sites of the island with information on each one and then unlock each of these by flying through the big I symbols. There are loads of hidden areas and other planes to find and getting more symbols unlocks a balloon popping mode and further games, as well as choosing the time of day.

It doesn’t sound like much, but there is something quite engrossing about flying around the island and finding all the information points.

Overall Impressions
I love Wii Sports Resort, despite the games being a bit of a mixed bag. Each one has charm and the island is easy to fall in love with. In the end, Wii Sports Resort is greater than the sum of it’s parts, though just like with the first game, playing it with friends is the best way to experience how well it all works.

As a Wii Motionplus demo the swordplay, archery and golf really do show what a difference this makes to the controls. Other games are less impressive but I still had great fun trying them out.

Overall, Wii Sports Resort is a brilliant sequel to a classic and one every Wii owner should get. It’s something the whole family can play together.

8.5/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 18/08/09 at 09:26
"possibly impossible"
What’s the usual way to start your brand new game? A menu screen, perhaps? How about a cinematic movie to introduce the characters? What about being pushed out of an aeroplane and having to work out controls as you plummet through the clouds, linking hands with other parachutists? Well, that’s how Wii Sports Resort starts.

It turns out that this is an ideal start to a game which reminds you just what the Wii remote was for in the first place. The nice little intro game gives you a real bird’s eye view of the island which will be your home for the duration of the game. The blue skies welcome you and the picturesque town below looks very inviting.

From here you get your menu system to choose from a range of games, it’s actually far more structured than Wii Sports was. From the offset there are 12 different activities to try out. Successfully completeting events in these 12 will unlock variations on the games so, for instance, playing the sword fighting will then unlock an object cutting game and a (very good) sword battle.

The easiest way to review these is to run through them, one by one.

Swordplay
The game we’ve all been waiting for since Wii Motionplus was first announced, Swordplay is probably the game that shows the potential of the new peripheral best.

You start by having a Gladiators style match with an opponent (human on Wii controlled) and then go on to unlock an object chopping mode (chop objects the right way) and, better still, a fight around the island which really feels quite special and is the closest you’ll get to your Zorro fantasies until Red Steel 2 or another sword based game arrives.

Wakeboarding
Doing tricks on a Wakeboard sounds like fun, but this game makes things a bit too simple. Wakeboarding is still fun though and relies more on doing tricks than any sort of racing. Once you get the hang of chaining more tricks together you can go for a top score.

Because the controls are quite easy to get the hang of, it’s another good one for younger players.

Frisbee
Frisbee is odd, play it solo and you might shrug. The dog is nice enough and my youngsters were very happy just to go back time and time again to watch him catch the frisbee, but it’s not that enthralling,even when you need to pop balloons. But play together and Frisbee is a great competitive sport. Not only that, but you get to unlock Frisbee golf, which is far more fun to play, even solo. Play this in real life and you’d get chucked off the golf course.

There is even a simple mode for children which allows you to throw the frisbee with the remote without having to press any buttons. My 5 year old managed to get some good scores this way and it was nice to be able to compete with her using the two different control systems.

Archery
Archery is another impressive game that shows off the accuracy of the new controller. It’s also great fun to play with friends, though don’t expect them to be friends for much longer as you frantically work to beat each other’s scores. Difficult for the kids, but great for adults.

Basketball
I had my doubts whether this would be any good. It’s only 3 on 3, after all. But actually, Basketball is very entertaining. It’s quite competitive too, expect some heated matches, and again it’s quite hard for the kids to get a handle on the different buttons. Ultimately, Basketball will be one that people come back to again and again I think.

Table Tennis
Wii Sports had proper tennis, this sort of feels like a step down, but at the same time the finer control system works really well, adding a new sense of skill to the game. Motionplus makes it that much harder, having to think about the angle of your bat, but play it two player and you’re in for a treat. It’s a fast paced adrenaline rush.

Golf
This is far better than the Wii Sports game, all due to MotionPlus. It’s so much more responsive and even gives Tiger Woods a run for its money, though the lack of any more courses means it has less play time. More than any of the other games, Golf shows how much things have improved with the new control system and it’s another multiplayer hit.
The tighter controls mean that youngsters will find it far more difficult, though, but the option to make things simple for them is still there from the original.

Bowling[6]
All the other games have either been added or improved from Wii Sports, but Bowling doesn’t really feel any different. Bar the 100 pin game, which is a larger verion of the Wii Sports unlockable game, it pretty much plays the same as the first. This is no bad thing, mind you, as the original was so much fun to begin with.

Power Cruising
If you’re expecting Waverace you’re going to be disappointed (I know I was!), but Power Cruising is still a good little game with some fun elements like the slipstreaming behind other racers. The jet skis are quite tricky to control at first but when you get used to them it makes for a fast paced race.

I’m not sure why Nintendo decided to go for a dual control approach here, though, the Wii Remote alone (in a Mario Kart style) would have been a far better control system and easier for the kids to get used to.

Canoeing
Speaking of control systems, Canoeing took me ages to get used to. It involves holding your remote like a two handed paddle and moving from side to side. I guess it’s pretty realistic in terms of control, but it takes a while to get to grips with the paddling.
However, once you’ve got it down, Canoeing can be great fun and another game that really form a challenge between players. The extra modes on offer here are all good fun, especially the race between points.

Cycling
Cycling is the most energetic of the games here. I was literally sweating when I finished unlocking all the courses. The latter stages see you going up the volcano in the centre of the island and the mix of uphill racing and preventing your Mii from getting too tired (where they stop for a drink and watch everyone else go past) gives the game a good strategic approach.

The controls are quite odd, it’s a bit like pushing peddles around with your hands rather than your feet. It works though, even though your arms will ache afterwards.

This was my daughter’s favorite game and I watched quite happily as she raced with my wife to get first place while avoiding the lava or steep drops.

Air Sports
The last game isn’t really much of a game at all. With 2 players you can play a sort of dogfight with balloons (think Mario Kart’s balloon popping multiplayer) but the planes are so small that you hardly ever see each other.

However, playing the island exploring mode you get to see all the sites of the island with information on each one and then unlock each of these by flying through the big I symbols. There are loads of hidden areas and other planes to find and getting more symbols unlocks a balloon popping mode and further games, as well as choosing the time of day.

It doesn’t sound like much, but there is something quite engrossing about flying around the island and finding all the information points.

Overall Impressions
I love Wii Sports Resort, despite the games being a bit of a mixed bag. Each one has charm and the island is easy to fall in love with. In the end, Wii Sports Resort is greater than the sum of it’s parts, though just like with the first game, playing it with friends is the best way to experience how well it all works.

As a Wii Motionplus demo the swordplay, archery and golf really do show what a difference this makes to the controls. Other games are less impressive but I still had great fun trying them out.

Overall, Wii Sports Resort is a brilliant sequel to a classic and one every Wii owner should get. It’s something the whole family can play together.

8.5/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.