GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Tiger Woods 10 - Xbox 360"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2010'.
Wed 29/07/09 at 09:58
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Tiger Woods 10 – Xbox 360

For the past 3 or 4 years I have at some point owned the Tiger Woods for that year, but as I have grown older I have begun to enjoy golf more. So I was eager to get 2010 edition to play the courses I had been watching and actually go round an 18 hole course in a good score, not slicing shots and missing easy putts like in reality!

When I looked to get the game I did not really see much difference from 09, graphics were a bit better and I assumed there would be some new challenges thrown in and not much else. I think with any annual sports games series you buy you do not notice massive changes straight away. I used to play Pro Evo and buy it each year, then last year I changed to FIFA and noticed so many new things. The nice thing with Tiger Woods 10 is some very good little improvements that make you think EA are actually putting some time into making the game and that the game does warrant the price tag.

So let’s start with the controls, because on sports games in general this is one of the key factors to success. I am happy to say that since 2009 little has been changed here, which is good, because for me 2009 had a great control system. So we still have Left stick to control your swing, with the ability to add extra power and then spin. The controls are that simple, the trigger buttons change clubs, you can adjust the angle on the face of your club and choose your shot type (punch, full, pitch, chip, putt). With regards to the controls on Tiger Woods 10, the changes are noticeable on the green! The “precision putting” has been introduced, and I have found at first people are unsure of it, but after 5 of 6 goes they enjoy it. The difference is, you line your putt up and then preview with the shoulder button (you can only preview once per putt) then pull the stick back until it is in a yellow area on a bar to the right of your golfer, then swing forward. Hopefully you will then watch the ball roll in for Birdie. That’s about it on the controls, simple to use (the difficulty comes in judging wind speeds, grass length and hills / dips).

Graphics are also a key factor for the sports genre, you want Tiger to actually look like Tiger, and in 2010 all the pro’s look great (maybe a few dodgy celebrations, but that’s all for fun).All the courses looks nice and EA have thrown more spectators into the game, so be careful not to hit them, or you will have an angry fan holding their knee in agony. I thought this was a nice little touch, simple but effective. The graphics are not perfect but they are more than ample for this game. I have not tried the photo game face (for those of you unaware with this, you upload your face via pictures on the EA website and it transforms it into a game face) 09 made me look like an albino golfer so I just went with the basic set up to create my golfer this time. Creating a golfer is easy and the options are more detailed this time around, shaping chins, eyes and cheeks to make the golfer you want. So graphically it is nice, but not pushing the boundaries.

So the features and game modes are the last thing to discuss, as in the previous titles, you make a golfer and play the year earning all the cash you can and then buying better equipment to get better power and putting etc. There are also various challenges to work through to earn points and finally beat Tiger! This is nothing new but keeps the game alive. There are of course multiplayer options, online or local. The multiplayer is always fun when your friends are over. Playing regular golf or battle golf (if you win the hole you steal a club from your opponent) there are other modes for multiplayer and all of them will keep you playing for a long time.
The better features I would like to mention are ones like the live weather, you can choose this if you are on Xbox Live and the course’s weather will be the same as it is in real life, so if it is sunny with no wind at St. Andrews (I know it is in Scotland and that would never happen!) then it would be like that on the game. I really like this feature and makes the game more real, I have been playing happily in the sun to hit the 12th hole and have heavy rain slow my balls up. So this for me is a great feature that EA have added. The next one I like is the ability to play in the tournaments that have happened in real life. You had the ability to play against the pros in the open (their scores from real life are brought to the game) so for fans of golf this is a great addition.

Tiger Woods 10 is an improved version of 09, if you like the series and like golf then you should rent this game, if there is enough of a change from 09 or you play online. Then Tiger Woods 10 is a game you should have on your list. It has its flaws like most sports games. It can get repetitive, online play is temperamental with people leaving and it is £40 for a tweaked version of 09 with some new features, maybe it warrants £30, I feel the price tag is high for new Sport Games. Still a fun game which I give;
8/10
Wed 29/07/09 at 15:34
Regular
"THFC"
lol thanks Chris and yeah - playing St Andrews on Live Weather tends to be 25kph winds!! Making your club choice much harder!
Wed 29/07/09 at 12:02
Regular
"How Ironic"
Awesome review Emmie! Could easily be a winner. Agree with the annual sports point. I'm a FIFA guy myself, and i find that they seem to be pretty repetitive, although EA claim they've changed the game. And as i said, impressed by the weather change update, sounds awesome! Shame it mostly rains all over the UK.
Wed 29/07/09 at 09:58
Regular
"THFC"
[GAME] Tiger Woods 10 – Xbox 360

For the past 3 or 4 years I have at some point owned the Tiger Woods for that year, but as I have grown older I have begun to enjoy golf more. So I was eager to get 2010 edition to play the courses I had been watching and actually go round an 18 hole course in a good score, not slicing shots and missing easy putts like in reality!

When I looked to get the game I did not really see much difference from 09, graphics were a bit better and I assumed there would be some new challenges thrown in and not much else. I think with any annual sports games series you buy you do not notice massive changes straight away. I used to play Pro Evo and buy it each year, then last year I changed to FIFA and noticed so many new things. The nice thing with Tiger Woods 10 is some very good little improvements that make you think EA are actually putting some time into making the game and that the game does warrant the price tag.

So let’s start with the controls, because on sports games in general this is one of the key factors to success. I am happy to say that since 2009 little has been changed here, which is good, because for me 2009 had a great control system. So we still have Left stick to control your swing, with the ability to add extra power and then spin. The controls are that simple, the trigger buttons change clubs, you can adjust the angle on the face of your club and choose your shot type (punch, full, pitch, chip, putt). With regards to the controls on Tiger Woods 10, the changes are noticeable on the green! The “precision putting” has been introduced, and I have found at first people are unsure of it, but after 5 of 6 goes they enjoy it. The difference is, you line your putt up and then preview with the shoulder button (you can only preview once per putt) then pull the stick back until it is in a yellow area on a bar to the right of your golfer, then swing forward. Hopefully you will then watch the ball roll in for Birdie. That’s about it on the controls, simple to use (the difficulty comes in judging wind speeds, grass length and hills / dips).

Graphics are also a key factor for the sports genre, you want Tiger to actually look like Tiger, and in 2010 all the pro’s look great (maybe a few dodgy celebrations, but that’s all for fun).All the courses looks nice and EA have thrown more spectators into the game, so be careful not to hit them, or you will have an angry fan holding their knee in agony. I thought this was a nice little touch, simple but effective. The graphics are not perfect but they are more than ample for this game. I have not tried the photo game face (for those of you unaware with this, you upload your face via pictures on the EA website and it transforms it into a game face) 09 made me look like an albino golfer so I just went with the basic set up to create my golfer this time. Creating a golfer is easy and the options are more detailed this time around, shaping chins, eyes and cheeks to make the golfer you want. So graphically it is nice, but not pushing the boundaries.

So the features and game modes are the last thing to discuss, as in the previous titles, you make a golfer and play the year earning all the cash you can and then buying better equipment to get better power and putting etc. There are also various challenges to work through to earn points and finally beat Tiger! This is nothing new but keeps the game alive. There are of course multiplayer options, online or local. The multiplayer is always fun when your friends are over. Playing regular golf or battle golf (if you win the hole you steal a club from your opponent) there are other modes for multiplayer and all of them will keep you playing for a long time.
The better features I would like to mention are ones like the live weather, you can choose this if you are on Xbox Live and the course’s weather will be the same as it is in real life, so if it is sunny with no wind at St. Andrews (I know it is in Scotland and that would never happen!) then it would be like that on the game. I really like this feature and makes the game more real, I have been playing happily in the sun to hit the 12th hole and have heavy rain slow my balls up. So this for me is a great feature that EA have added. The next one I like is the ability to play in the tournaments that have happened in real life. You had the ability to play against the pros in the open (their scores from real life are brought to the game) so for fans of golf this is a great addition.

Tiger Woods 10 is an improved version of 09, if you like the series and like golf then you should rent this game, if there is enough of a change from 09 or you play online. Then Tiger Woods 10 is a game you should have on your list. It has its flaws like most sports games. It can get repetitive, online play is temperamental with people leaving and it is £40 for a tweaked version of 09 with some new features, maybe it warrants £30, I feel the price tag is high for new Sport Games. Still a fun game which I give;
8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.