GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/03/01 at 12:03
Regular
This is quite a short question but I think some of the answers might be quite long.
The question is this:
Do you think that a consoles best games should be ready for the launch of the console, or should they come along afterwards?

Normally on a console, there is 1 or maybe 2 games that really shine in a particular genre. The GT's on the PS, Soul Calibur on DC, Goldeneye and PD on N64 etc. Should these games be ready and finished for when the console is launched?
If they do, then initial sales of the machine will be high. A good thing. However, people who dont buy a console on launch, whether due to the cost or whatever, may not buy the machine 6 months later as no other good games have come out. Does this bother the manufacturers? They have already got a lot of money in from the initial sales of the machine.

If the "best" games dont come out until a lot later than launch (eg PS2 from what some people have been saying on here) then you also get problems. You will still have some people who buy the console on launch, you always will. But, come 6 months later, you have people complaining that there still arent any "classics" released, and even a price drop on the console may not help if other machines will be out within a short time span.

I was thinking that the ideal would be like the N64, have some good games on release and others come out later, spread them out sort of thing. Then I realised that the N64 didnt do particularly well. So what is the answer?
Sat 17/03/01 at 12:03
Regular
This is quite a short question but I think some of the answers might be quite long.
The question is this:
Do you think that a consoles best games should be ready for the launch of the console, or should they come along afterwards?

Normally on a console, there is 1 or maybe 2 games that really shine in a particular genre. The GT's on the PS, Soul Calibur on DC, Goldeneye and PD on N64 etc. Should these games be ready and finished for when the console is launched?
If they do, then initial sales of the machine will be high. A good thing. However, people who dont buy a console on launch, whether due to the cost or whatever, may not buy the machine 6 months later as no other good games have come out. Does this bother the manufacturers? They have already got a lot of money in from the initial sales of the machine.

If the "best" games dont come out until a lot later than launch (eg PS2 from what some people have been saying on here) then you also get problems. You will still have some people who buy the console on launch, you always will. But, come 6 months later, you have people complaining that there still arent any "classics" released, and even a price drop on the console may not help if other machines will be out within a short time span.

I was thinking that the ideal would be like the N64, have some good games on release and others come out later, spread them out sort of thing. Then I realised that the N64 didnt do particularly well. So what is the answer?
Sat 17/03/01 at 12:08
i think that the console should release at least 2 decent games that are guranteed to roll in big bux and then a few games that wont be so popular. Leaving othere champ games to come out later in the life of the console
Sat 17/03/01 at 12:11
Regular
The N64 has had good gams all the wa through it's market life!

Of course it's had it's bad games.

At the moment all the N64 games that were planned ages ago seem to be coming out now as there isn't much N64 time left!
Sat 17/03/01 at 12:13
dat planning werent to good
Sat 17/03/01 at 15:53
Regular
Hmmmmmm, no-one else got an opinion on this then?
Sat 17/03/01 at 15:59
doubt it.
Sat 17/03/01 at 17:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Ideally a console should have a continuous stream of great games... not just a few at the beginning and more later. Sega started off v. well, and could have kept it up it square and others were on board.

Sonic
Sat 17/03/01 at 17:52
Regular
Of course not, Zelda was released way after the launch, but we still got mario there because it was ready, they can't rush out games remember.
Sat 17/03/01 at 18:09
Regular
The consoles best games should be here when they are ready. Zelda, MGS2, Shenmue... and... err that snowboarding game? :D
Sat 17/03/01 at 19:10
Regular
I know they shouldnt be released until they are ready, but when would be the ideal time for them to be released?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.