GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Someone give me to low down on importing a PSP"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/05/05 at 22:30
"Uzi Lover"
I'm interested in importing a PSP if I'll be able to do everything region free.

That means everything I buy over here for it will work.

Is this the case with the PSP? Or am I going to have to wait till it arrives here?

Thanks
Tue 17/05/05 at 10:00
Yes, that would be advised.
Mon 16/05/05 at 23:11
"Uzi Lover"
Ok I ordered my PSP from ebay. A JAP value pack coming from the UK by special delivery.

I was then in a rush to buy Ridge Racer as my girlfriend had just came round and had two on ym watch list. One I was def going for was another UK one which worked out at 27 quid. So what I did was, in this rush, buy the other one instead which is 34 quid and coming from Hong Kong (doh) which also could mean import tax. So I emailed the hong kong guy to cancel and said sorry, and offered a couple of quid for the mistake if he refunded me. Get an email abck stating its some kind of holiday in Hong Kong from 15-16th so no reply until tommorow. Argh! He better refund me as I have now bought the other one aswell.

So do I just stick with Ridge Racer now?
Mon 16/05/05 at 19:33
Regular
I think Pro Evo has been semi-announced. The existence of a PSP version has been bandied about numerous times with no denial but I can't recall if it was ever officially confirmed. It most likely will be at some point though.

Jerocks, is NFSU any good then? compared to wipeout and RR?
Mon 16/05/05 at 18:40
"Uzi Lover"
Think I'll go for Ridge Racer as I've just found out there will be a SNES emulator too. Cool!

Prob will buy the JAP PSP later on today with Ridge Racer. Might get FIFA for some footy action...hmmm. Has Pro Evo been announced?
Mon 16/05/05 at 17:09
Regular
"Ruddie1"
I have Ridge racer, Wipeout, Need for speed, Twisted metal and Tony Hawks and im really enjoying them all. Most of the games are very similar to the Xbox/PS2 versions so its mostly down to what games you like to buy. Personally im not going to but no more games till we have more choice.
Mon 16/05/05 at 17:08
Regular
"Mozzy"
TBH I think Fifa would be good on the PSP.

Until PES comes anyway...
Mon 16/05/05 at 17:04
Regular
"Da num.01 rapper"
Try on www.ebay.co.uk
Mon 16/05/05 at 09:10
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> I'm silent but violent.

Just like loo roll?
How is the ol' girl.
Mon 16/05/05 at 08:15
Regular
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> I think I'd go for a JAP one for the reason it can do everything I
> want. But then again, I'm no movie buff and I will never use the
> movies on it. I'd just like my PSP to function as it should. And it's
> only a tenner more onb Import Madness. Do they charge shipping? And
> custom fees could be included no?

Well Import Madness charge about £7 shipping, but they upgrade it to 2-3 day courier for free (probably isn't, but hey). The only thing to watch out for is their customer service. If you ever need it, you're screwed as their service stinks in that department. They are efficient though, in my experience.

If you were to buy a US one, Videogamesplus.ca would be the better option. I don't know if VGC sell Jap ones, I think they may do though.

> I would love a Silver PSP. That's not gonna happen for a while though
> is it.

Nope, it's something you really will have to wait for - probably a Christmas release for US/Jap.

> So now it comes down to games and which one to get. So if you could
> give me your view on them all that would be great. In the end I
> think it comes down to Ridge Racer, Wipeout, FIFA (errkkk...I know,
> but it does look pretty cool), NBA Showdown (I nearly bought Street
> V3 today...) and errr Tony Hawks?

Right. Ridge Racer is a load of fun, all the best tracks from all the games, a great learning curve and mint graphics/sound. Real good arcadey stuff that has provided me with the most fun out of my games.

Wipeout, while being graphically and audibly superior, is an acquired taste. not everyone likes it and the handling requires m ore skill and concentration. It's a great game when you progress though, eventually becoming a blisteringly fast racer. If the series isn't really your thing, you won't find anything new really. it's the same tried-and-tested formula, just revamped with new tracks etc.

Not sure about FIFA, NBA or TH, don't have them, I'm sure someone else will though.

My other games are Dynasty Warriors, Twisted Metal and Metal Gear Acid. Dynasty Warriors isdecent, but like the console versions, soon gets boring. Twisted Metal is fun and great online via wireless (yes, online. I played people from the States and Japan not long ago). It's not everyone's kinda game though, so I'd only recommend it if you like the previous games.

Stay away from Metal Gear Acid! It's really, really dire.

My next purchases are Smart Bomb and Mercury. I fancy a couple of puzzlers.

Lumines is also supposed to be a good one.
Mon 16/05/05 at 07:33
"Uzi Lover"
Thanks for that Bullett.

I had to stop myself buying one last night, I was so close. And for the record for the DS rawks thing, I have a DS and no, it doesn't rock at the moment all that much. But then again, the PSP is pretty short on games at the moment. I'd say the PSP had the better games at the moment though.

Thats the problem though, which game to go for? I know Wipeout and Ridge Racer are coming out tops for reviews but Wipeout never really was my thing. Ridge Racer looks sweet but it's just racing in the end. And that where I stopped last night after viewing loadsa videos and stuff. I told myself, get yourself one when a game you actually want comes out for it.

But why wait? As I've read before, i might as well import. And yes, there are lots of games I want for the PSP. Only yesterday i realised a game I'm playing on the PC pretty hardcorely at the mo is coming out - Football Manager 2006.

I think I'd go for a JAP one for the reason it can do everything I want. But then again, I'm no movie buff and I will never use the movies on it. I'd just like my PSP to function as it should. And it's only a tenner more onb Import Madness. Do they charge shipping? And custom fees could be included no?

I would love a Silver PSP. That's not gonna happen for a while though is it.

So now it comes down to games and which one to get. So if you could give me your view on them all that would be great. In the end I think it comes down to Ridge Racer, Wipeout, FIFA (errkkk...I know, but it does look pretty cool), NBA Showdown (I nearly bought Street V3 today...) and errr Tony Hawks?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.