GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Installation of a home network question(s)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/11/03 at 11:57
Regular
Alright, anyone wanna give your pal gamezfreak a hand with the old networking business?

Ok i've got my new PC and my old PC sitting next to each other at the moment, until christmas - which is when I get a monitor. I'll be taking my new system into my room on that day.

This is where the problem arises, I need the internet in my room, but so does the rest of my family down here. I can't afford to get my own connection, so I think there is a way of "sharing the connection" upstairs.

Anyone know how i'm gonna go about doing this? I've got an ethernet port on my motherboard, and i'm guessing the other computer will need a network card?

My NTL cable modem, at the moment, is running through USB, but it does have an option to use ethernet instead.

Bah, I'm confusing myself already. So basically does anyone know what i'd need? Plus, Can you get cables that are like 15 to 20m long?

Thanks for any help that is recieved.

Oh and "Mod!" - The title is good enough so don't come in and comment on it....
Sat 03/01/04 at 01:11
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Yeah thats what I need to do..

Could prolly buy all that for under a fiver :o)
Thu 01/01/04 at 15:20
Regular
HBS -

Grab a network card for your PC without one, shove it in a spare PCI slot and grab a Cat5 ethernet.
Thu 01/01/04 at 14:54
Regular
"the burning sky"
gamezfreak wrote:
> So if I want to use the internet I just have to go downstairs and
> plug my lead into the back of the modem, and take the other end out.

Thats what our house does atm...

On the topic of networking, I also have 2 computers next to each other. WHat is the easiest way to network them or link them together to share files? One is a laptop with an ethernet card and one is a Desktop PC without any sort of means of connection. Is it possible to just put a USB cable of some sort between them? The desktop has Windows 98 SE and the Laptop is the older Win98. So any ideas?
Thu 01/01/04 at 13:19
Regular
Well, After a huge discussion with the parent's, we came to a conclusion that we shouldn't install a home network just yet. I've got the computer in my room and yes i'm on the internet, all thanks to a 20m long ethernet cable and a bit of "cable switching".

So if I want to use the internet I just have to go downstairs and plug my lead into the back of the modem, and take the other end out.

Sorted.
Tue 30/12/03 at 18:28
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Switches are the gear of choice.
Tue 30/12/03 at 15:06
"Bothered!"
I have a router with 4 computers connecting to it with Cat5 UTP e cable. Works a treat. You will need network cards for your computers which don't have them. did you know that although not fast (1Mbps) you can run a network down ur power sockets and down ur normal phone jacks...that is always a last resort option...wudn't recommend it though.
Tue 30/12/03 at 04:11
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Yeah but that way you limit yourself because you can only set up 2 computers via crossover.

Go for a hub and things :o)
Sun 30/11/03 at 00:41
Regular
There are a couple of low cost options, the first one which would be the best but will cost about £150 to buy the bits is to set up a wireless network, this will mean you do not have to run wires all around the house and it is pretty easy to set up with internet connection sharing, the other idea is to use Cat 5 crossover Cable and make sure both Computers have networks cards in them then set it up with internet connection sharing, your first port of call is to work out what network you want and what one will be best for you, then we can help you set it up from there.

Cheers

Colin
Sat 29/11/03 at 14:39
"Are you sure?"
Thanks! [Couldn't resist...] - Mod!
Sat 29/11/03 at 11:57
Regular
Alright, anyone wanna give your pal gamezfreak a hand with the old networking business?

Ok i've got my new PC and my old PC sitting next to each other at the moment, until christmas - which is when I get a monitor. I'll be taking my new system into my room on that day.

This is where the problem arises, I need the internet in my room, but so does the rest of my family down here. I can't afford to get my own connection, so I think there is a way of "sharing the connection" upstairs.

Anyone know how i'm gonna go about doing this? I've got an ethernet port on my motherboard, and i'm guessing the other computer will need a network card?

My NTL cable modem, at the moment, is running through USB, but it does have an option to use ethernet instead.

Bah, I'm confusing myself already. So basically does anyone know what i'd need? Plus, Can you get cables that are like 15 to 20m long?

Thanks for any help that is recieved.

Oh and "Mod!" - The title is good enough so don't come in and comment on it....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.