GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 is here Boys & Girls"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/05/05 at 06:50
Regular
EDIT - had I known this lot was already in the stupidly named 'Official PS2 E3 Thread', I wouldn't have bothered. Sue me.

And the pad looks awful, but hey:

[URL]http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614619p1.html?fromint=1[/URL]

Enjoy.

I won't post all the specs as that'd be an anal word count boostathon, but some pretty interesting and odd features:

Bluetooth functionality - wireless controllers via Bluetooth sounds certain.

Wi-Fi communication with PSP

3, yes 3 Ethernet ports - dunno why they need 3 :S

2 HDMI outputs, capable of up to 1080p

Backwards compatiblity

Blu-Ray media support, along with every CD/DVD format but DVD-RAM.

Looking swish, suddenly the Xbox 360 doesn't seem so exclusive. Still, it's all about the games and from what I can see, it's just sequels here there and everywhere (not unlike Xbox then) - MGS4, GT5, Getaway 3, Killzone 2, DMC4 etc.

I just wish the perfect recreation of FFVII would have become a reality :(
Thu 19/05/05 at 15:49
Regular
Aye, I thirden that.

Best pad of the lot, my PC pad is the Logic 3 model of Dual Shock 2.
Thu 19/05/05 at 15:48
Regular
I also find them to be no trouble - they feel very comfortable. I have large hands - don't know about the basketball thing though, never been any good myself.
Thu 19/05/05 at 12:42
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I must be the only one that doesn't have a problem with the analogue sticks where they are. The pad is comfortable for me and they're easy for my thumbs to reach and the pad just sits nicely in my hands.

But then i do have basketball players hands so that may be why i don't have a problem with reaching the sticks :-D
Thu 19/05/05 at 10:28
Regular
"360: swfcman"
The new pad looks like one of those cheap tacky pads you can get for the PC that tend to have the auto buttons and such on. Its the elongated handle things i dont like. Get rid of them and the pad would look fine.

I do like the model for the PS3 itself though. Think i would prefer the black model though, would look more snazzy with my set it my room.

Not really seen any moving pictures of games or anything yet. Are there any? Guess i'll have to buy a PS2 magazine for a change.
Wed 18/05/05 at 22:40
"period drama"
Ahhh ... might well be.
I wouldn't have minded if they kept the old design, but moved the analogue stick to where it should be. No-one could really have a go at them now.

But this new design ... just looks crap and unwieldy.
Wed 18/05/05 at 22:12
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Yup, Gamecube controller has perfect analogue stick placement compared to the PlayStation controllers.

I like using both of them (and I thought the N64 one was good as well), so I'll probably actually find this new PS3 one pretty good. But I just don't see why they felt it necessary to change what was a winning controller. Nintendo change their controllers on a regular basis... but that's just what they do. Didn't expect this from Sony.

I wonder if it's something to do with the current court case to do with the DualShocks...
Wed 18/05/05 at 21:59
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Who knows. Maybe the Sony employees all have enormous hands.

But seriously, they shouldn't put the analog sticks where they are if they intend for them to be used more than the D-pad. It's a real slap in the face when you get a game that forces you to use the awfully placed sticks. It was a huge letdown point of San Andreas.
Wed 18/05/05 at 18:43
Regular
"Bicycle"
Hmmm...

Controllers are hard things to make I guess. But seriously... Why are the analog sticks so far away from your thumbs?!?
Wed 18/05/05 at 18:29
Regular
"The definitive tag"
That pad looks absolutely rubbish. Everything about it is wrong. There's no need for the handles to be anywhere near that long and somehow they've actually managed to make the position of the analog sticks even worse. If they really intend the analog sticks to be the main method of control, then they need to follow by the GC's example and put it where the D-pad currently is.

It also looks like an ugly piece of shhhh...
Wed 18/05/05 at 15:52
Regular
Apologies to GrandPrix - I just discovered that you said a similar thing in another thread about the controller shape.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.