GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 price to be less than $500"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/05/05 at 19:45
Regular
"Mozzy"
[URL]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/18/news_6125423.html[/URL]

And the graphics card they are using for the units are worth $1000 each.

wow.
Fri 20/05/05 at 13:15
Regular
"Once isn't enough!"
Thu 19/05/05 at 20:01
Regular
Thu 19/05/05 at 19:59
Regular
"Once isn't enough!"
Jeses, these naff forums can't even display a Euro symbol properly.
Thu 19/05/05 at 19:55
Regular
"Once isn't enough!"
Geffdof wrote:
> Have non of you ever been alive for a console launch before? The price
> in American dollars is ALWAYS the price in pounds! They pay $300 we
> pay £300. Its a bit unfair but thats how it always happens.
> The original Playstaion was £299 at launch, as was the PS2. I
> therefore estimate a £299 price tag for the PS3. Remember, its
> not out for another year so these $1000 graphics cards will be about
> £49 on ebay by then.

Have you?! I know PSP hasn't been launched in Europe yet, but you did say "IS ALWAYS"... Anyway, I do believe that the PSP was/is $249. The official price announced for Europe is €249. So, you are wrong! At current Euro-GBP exchange rates, that's equivalent to just about £172. As ever, we Brits will get stiffed a bit on the way from Euros, so will likely end up paying the £179 that is being advertised around the net (including this place if you neglect their oh-so-generous £3 saving).

Things are different now. The US dollar is very weak against the pound, and as such the straight $-£ prices we used to pay simply cannot be justified any more. But conveniently, Europe has the Euro now which is a bit easier to justify in a 1:1 price conversion from $-€. And before you start saying, "Ah, but...", the same principles apply to both handhelds and home consoles.
Thu 19/05/05 at 19:05
Regular
"lets go back"
Have non of you ever been alive for a console launch before? The price in American dollars is ALWAYS the price in pounds! They pay $300 we pay £300. Its a bit unfair but thats how it always happens.
The original Playstaion was £299 at launch, as was the PS2. I therefore estimate a £299 price tag for the PS3. Remember, its not out for another year so these $1000 graphics cards will be about £49 on ebay by then.
Thu 19/05/05 at 12:46
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Suicide Soldier wrote:
> The new NBA LIVE games looks sweet, no doubt there will be an new NBA
> Street game in the pipeline. Hopefully ESPN will be able to churn out
> an NFL game despite being ass raped by EA over the Madden License.

I think EA bought the whole NFL licence so i seriously doubt there'll be a NFL ESPN game for a while. Prefer the Madden series anyway so it doesn't really bother me. Strange how the same company that makes the crap-fest that is Fifa can make such a great game as Madden

Anyway i can't see the hardware being more than £400 at the most (i'm pretty sure it'll launch at £299.99) and the games will probably move back up to £40. Anyone who's done even one lesson of business will know anything higher than that just wouldn't be good business sense from Sony as demand will be very low if games are selling for £60+ even if they are all sparkly and pretty graphics wise. (God dammit where's my 2d sprite based RPG's so i can begin to see which console i'll be buying :-D)
Thu 19/05/05 at 12:03
Regular
Ordering from the states means the prices going up would be like buying new from a high street shop so I'm not too fussed.
Thu 19/05/05 at 11:43
Regular
"Touched!"
The other side of it is and is one which is looking likely is that all 3 companies will be lowering the hardware costs but increasing the software costs. I'm glad I work at Tesco, staff discount here I come if the games are going up!
Thu 19/05/05 at 11:39
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Pro Evo wrote:
> Isnt that what we payed for the PS2 when i came out? I dont
> remember.
>
> The price doesnt appear to be as high as i expected.

Yeah, the PS2 was £300 on release, despite being about $450 in the US. We were paying about £40-50 more than them at the time.

If it's $500 over there for launch, I really can't see the price dropping below £300 for the UK release. As ortega said, there might be a lower starting price this time from Sony due to the competition being on the market... but right now I wouldn't bet on it.
Thu 19/05/05 at 10:40
Regular
The new NBA LIVE games looks sweet, no doubt there will be an new NBA Street game in the pipeline. Hopefully ESPN will be able to churn out an NFL game despite being ass raped by EA over the Madden License.

Hopefully NBA LIVE 06 will hit at launch, looks spanky as well from the screens I have seen. Grab a decent exclusive - hopefully Devil May Cry 4 - and then something like this to keep me going.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.