GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stream Media from PC to PS3 "

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/07/09 at 23:17
Regular
""none""
For a long time I've been going through the hassle of converting my HD video files so that they're compatabile with my PS3, then I transfer them over to my USB to play on my PS3. This is always long and tedious, and sometimes I just give up and watch it on my small PC monitor instead of my very large HDTV.

I've found a solution! I simply stream my whole computer's video, music and picture collection through to the PS3, without converting a thing. The results are surprisingly good, perfectly fluent HD videos.

All is you have to do is install a software called PS3 Media Server from here. Run it, click on the drop down arrow for General Configuration and change MS TCP Loopback Interface to the one below it (your internet connection). Next click the save button and hit Restart HTTP server. Quit the program, switch your PS3 on and under either photo, music or video start "Search for Media Server". Go back to your PC and start up PS3 Media Server again.

Once it finds the server on your PS3 you are connected, and can now access pictures, music and videos from your PS3.

This has saved me so much time and trouble, and I just love that I don't have to convert anything now. I can freely access my 300 GB video collection on my PS3.

PS3 Media Server also allows you to stream live video, audio and picture feeds from the internet. It comes preloaded with video feeds from Gametrailers, Youtube and some French channels. I've had no luck with getting the video feeds to work, although I got audio and picture feeds to work. You can add more feeds by editing the WEB.config file in the PS3 Media server directory. Here's a good place to get TV streams.

Also another very interesting feature of this is that it is compatabile with the PSP via Remote Play on the PS3.

There are other software which can supposdly stream media, but I haven't had any success or fluent video playback with any other one except this.

I hope you found this useful, feel free to ask any questions.
Tue 21/07/09 at 18:23
Regular
""none""
pb wrote:
> I find streaming a bit choppy with my connection and the
> microwave tends to intefere with it, so I create decent HD files
> on my portable drive and then take them to my PS3.
>
> However, I did try a lot of streaming ideas out and I've written
> some fo them
>
> in this topic
in case you wanted to try other software.

Thanks for your advice.
You should try the tutorial, having to convert videos over and over is not fun. Also, it should work fine for you, as it has a high success rate.
Mon 20/07/09 at 21:29
"possibly impossible"
I find streaming a bit choppy with my connection and the microwave tends to intefere with it, so I create decent HD files on my portable drive and then take them to my PS3.

However, I did try a lot of streaming ideas out and I've written some fo them in this topic in case you wanted to try other software.
Mon 20/07/09 at 10:29
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
This is extreme advice. I have tried to get something similar working before but lost interest. WIll check into it.
Sat 18/07/09 at 23:17
Regular
""none""
For a long time I've been going through the hassle of converting my HD video files so that they're compatabile with my PS3, then I transfer them over to my USB to play on my PS3. This is always long and tedious, and sometimes I just give up and watch it on my small PC monitor instead of my very large HDTV.

I've found a solution! I simply stream my whole computer's video, music and picture collection through to the PS3, without converting a thing. The results are surprisingly good, perfectly fluent HD videos.

All is you have to do is install a software called PS3 Media Server from here. Run it, click on the drop down arrow for General Configuration and change MS TCP Loopback Interface to the one below it (your internet connection). Next click the save button and hit Restart HTTP server. Quit the program, switch your PS3 on and under either photo, music or video start "Search for Media Server". Go back to your PC and start up PS3 Media Server again.

Once it finds the server on your PS3 you are connected, and can now access pictures, music and videos from your PS3.

This has saved me so much time and trouble, and I just love that I don't have to convert anything now. I can freely access my 300 GB video collection on my PS3.

PS3 Media Server also allows you to stream live video, audio and picture feeds from the internet. It comes preloaded with video feeds from Gametrailers, Youtube and some French channels. I've had no luck with getting the video feeds to work, although I got audio and picture feeds to work. You can add more feeds by editing the WEB.config file in the PS3 Media server directory. Here's a good place to get TV streams.

Also another very interesting feature of this is that it is compatabile with the PSP via Remote Play on the PS3.

There are other software which can supposdly stream media, but I haven't had any success or fluent video playback with any other one except this.

I hope you found this useful, feel free to ask any questions.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.