GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Modern Warfare 2 £54.99 RRP Other Titles To Follow ?."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2'.
Fri 17/07/09 at 16:23
Regular
"I like turtles"
Modern Warfare 2 May Not Be The Only The Only £55 Game ?

I read this article with a mixture of interest and horror.How can video games producers seriously expect people to pay these prices on a regular basis ?.I am aware that the 'reason' for Modern Warfare 2's ridiculous price tag is due to its excessive production costs and also the fall of the value of the GBP against the US dollar.This time last year you could get around 2 US dollars to the pound (now it is around the 1.6 mark).This would make a $50 game around £7 more expensive than it would have done a year ago.I am sure video games companies (like most businesses at the moment) are hardly enjoying the rosiest period in their history,but is pricing themselves out of their own market really such a wise move ?.With more and more people looking hard at the spare amounts of cash they have to spend on luxuries such as video games is this really going to work for anyone long term ?.Some may shell out a bit extra for a massive title like Modern Warfare 2 but on many others an extra £10 would surely be enough to stop them buying ?.Seems very strange Activision seem to have picked their most anticipated title of the year to do this with,but I am sure that's purely coincidental !.Also who is seriously going to buy the £120 Prestige Edition ?.With many titles dropping down to less than half price after around a month these days (see the grab a bargain thread),who is going to pay this kind of price for games on a regular basis ?.

Regarding Modern Warfare 2 and as already mentioned in the bargain thread,if you pre-order it from argos.co.uk before 24/7 and use the discount code 'GAME20' you can get it for £35.99 delivered.Its not exactly a bargain,just bringing it down to the price it should have been in the first place.
Wed 11/11/09 at 13:29
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Ahh how inappropriate this thread seems now.
Wed 11/11/09 at 13:23
Regular
How can Sainsburys sell MW2 at £26 on the day of release,surely they are losing money.
Saw the advert once at midnight on 9-11-09,went up at 7.30 AM,been playing quite happily since.
Sat 18/07/09 at 19:39
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
It is Activision who publish this game right? Slowly getting fed up with them to be honest. There's too many Guitar Hero's to count and I think I heard somewhere they were charging people in the UK around £110 for the new DJ Hero later this year! Now news of this. Just glad I'm not too interested in Modern Warfare 2.

I'll be happy playing New Super Mario Bros with a few friends around that time. Hopefully that will stay around the £30 mark :)
Sat 18/07/09 at 01:25
Regular
"How Ironic"
Although i am looking forward to another Infinity Ward release :D Treyarch are good, but in the series so far, Infinity Ward have been the dominant ones. But again, £55 is too rich for my blood. I'm gonna at least wait until £30
Fri 17/07/09 at 22:34
Regular
"I like turtles"
I would say that it looks like I'll be playing MW2 on my own then guys ?.But from what I've been hearing about Argos delivery times I'm not so sure ! :(
Fri 17/07/09 at 20:01
Regular
"How Ironic"
The thing to remember is everybody is in the same boat. They want buisness, and they're not going to get the maximum with prices like that. Yes, at release the price will be ludicrous, but come weeks and months later, they'll realise that the influx wasn't as big as they'd like it. Hell, i'm not gonna pay a stupid amount because they expect me to for a new Call of Duty. I'm gonna wait it out ;D
Fri 17/07/09 at 17:56
Regular
Videogames have always been ridiculously high priced. I have no idea why anybody would pay more than £20 for a game.

:S
Fri 17/07/09 at 17:13
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb wrote:
> People will vote with their wallet. Possibly not so much with
> MW2 as that will still sell on the strength of the last one,but
> certainly if others follow suit.
>
> Me? I'll wait for it second hand at that price!

Completely agree mate.

I went for the mentioned Argos deal on MW2,as £35 was the most I would pay for it (or any other game for that matter).Many other titles,I will wait and pick up cheaper if they are going to cost £45 or so on release date.
Fri 17/07/09 at 16:55
"possibly impossible"
People will vote with their wallet. Possibly not so much with MW2 as that will still sell on the strength of the last one,but certainly if others follow suit.

Me? I'll wait for it second hand at that price!
Fri 17/07/09 at 16:23
Regular
"I like turtles"
Modern Warfare 2 May Not Be The Only The Only £55 Game ?

I read this article with a mixture of interest and horror.How can video games producers seriously expect people to pay these prices on a regular basis ?.I am aware that the 'reason' for Modern Warfare 2's ridiculous price tag is due to its excessive production costs and also the fall of the value of the GBP against the US dollar.This time last year you could get around 2 US dollars to the pound (now it is around the 1.6 mark).This would make a $50 game around £7 more expensive than it would have done a year ago.I am sure video games companies (like most businesses at the moment) are hardly enjoying the rosiest period in their history,but is pricing themselves out of their own market really such a wise move ?.With more and more people looking hard at the spare amounts of cash they have to spend on luxuries such as video games is this really going to work for anyone long term ?.Some may shell out a bit extra for a massive title like Modern Warfare 2 but on many others an extra £10 would surely be enough to stop them buying ?.Seems very strange Activision seem to have picked their most anticipated title of the year to do this with,but I am sure that's purely coincidental !.Also who is seriously going to buy the £120 Prestige Edition ?.With many titles dropping down to less than half price after around a month these days (see the grab a bargain thread),who is going to pay this kind of price for games on a regular basis ?.

Regarding Modern Warfare 2 and as already mentioned in the bargain thread,if you pre-order it from argos.co.uk before 24/7 and use the discount code 'GAME20' you can get it for £35.99 delivered.Its not exactly a bargain,just bringing it down to the price it should have been in the first place.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.