GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MyFreeola FTP problem when using IE7"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/10/06 at 12:13
"Are you sure?"
I'm only 'playing' with IE7 at the moment and don't use it on my main PC, but as it's likely to roll out with Windows Updates soon I'm starting to look at it more closely.

As mentioned in another thread there were issues with FTP and the Beta versions of IE7 but it seems these are still in the final version.

Using IE7 logged in to MyFreeola and using the "Web Space FTP Link" under the Web Sites option - IE7 opens a read-only version in FTP.

If you have selected the IE7 option (Tools>Internet Options>Advanced) to "Enable FTP folder view" then you can click on the PAGE dropdown and select "Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer". The first time you do this you will need to click File>Login As and fill in your sr account and password - clicking 'save password' as required. The next time you use the "Open FTP site in Windows Explorer" option it should log you straight in.

So it seems that the current release of IE7 has messed up Freeola's useful direct FTP link!

Using a separate FTP client such as FileZilla now looks like the best way to go [URL]http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/[/URL].

Do other IE7 Freeola users see the same when using their MyFreeola FTP link?

This has all been keyed in a bit of a rush - when I have some more time to investigate I'll update the post.
Wed 10/01/07 at 12:39
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Certainly using IE7 is possible, it's not nearly as direct/easy as it should be, but it is possible.

It should work by taking the normal route:

When the Root folder pops up in the new window, there will be a 'Page' drop down button at the top of the toolbar. On this menu there should be the option for 'Open FTP Site In Windows Explorer'.

You will either then be taken directly into the Root folder with the 'cgi-shl' folder and 'htdocs', OR to a window where you will be asked for your user name and password, after entering these you should then be taken to the Root folder as if you were using IE6.
Wed 10/01/07 at 11:39
Regular
I use Filezilla. As for IE7 I could not get it to work I will try your work around and see if that helps but Filezilla is great and easy to use.

Kev
Tue 09/01/07 at 16:29
"Are you sure?"
Hi,
Are you saying that this resolved the FTP issue for you? The fix only says it changes the User Agent String so I wouldn't have thought that would change the way the IE7 FTP engine behaves?!

But it would be good if it does ;¬)

NB. It looked as if 'Bob' had tried to post a reply before your answer but his post has gone(?!), so I thought I would check you are saying this fixes the FTP issue.

I've just tried installing the MS User Agent String Utility - but it didn't help my FTP problems with IE7...
Tue 09/01/07 at 16:22
Regular
Hi had same problem found this on the Microsoft update page and it fixed my problem so hope it sorts yours

Cheer

pete

Q. My favorite websites don't load correctly, or don't seem to work at all in Internet Explorer 7. What should I do?
A.
If you encounter a site which does not recognize Internet Explorer 7, a new tool known as the User Agent String Utility has been created to help you work around the problem. The utility comes in the form of a small executable that opens an Internet Explorer 7 instance that emulates Internet Explorer 6 by sending the Internet Explorer 6 user agent string. It also provides a mechanism for you to report problem web sites to Microsoft so that we can follow up with the affected site owners. Download the tool here.
Tue 09/01/07 at 13:12
"Are you sure?"
Rather than trying to go back to IE6 I think you'll be better off using a third party FTP application.

I use Filezilla [URL]http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/[/URL]

The downside is that you can't quickly initiate the FTP via MyFreeola and that you have to individually add the sites to the application - which is is pain if you have a lot of sites!

On the up-side though, as it's a 'proper' FTP application you can change file permissions and FTP files in the correct format etc.

Another option would be to use Firefox for when you need FTP - but going from IE7 back to IE6 wouldn't be my choice.

Hope that helps...
Tue 09/01/07 at 11:48
Regular
Like so many others I have downloaded IE7 and have awful problems trying uploading files to my websites. Spent ages on the phone and still got nowhere!!So how do I get my old IE6 back?
Please help!!
Pete
Thu 02/11/06 at 09:27
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for the reply.

I believe the instructions are the same as my first post. It's the last step - "File > Login As" that spoils the MyFreeola direct FTP access.

It means the user has to find their 'SR' account number and password for each account which is a shame.
Thu 02/11/06 at 09:08
Regular
"incognito"
We already know about IE7, it is entirely possible to upload via FTP with it:

1. You may need to change your browser settings before you can upload your files. Click on Tools, then Internet Options in your browser. In the Internet Options box click on the Advanced tab, and under the Browsing category tick 'Enable folder view for FTP sites'.

2. Log into your MyFreeola and open the FTP window in the usual way.

3. Go to the Page menu at the top of your browser and select 'Open FTP site in Windows Explorer'.

4. Once you have done this it will open up your webspace using 'Windows Explorer' rather than IE7. You may need to click on the File menu and then select 'Log in as' and enter your username and password.

I hope this helps, the instruction will appear inside MyFreeola soon and also on our support pages.
Thu 02/11/06 at 08:49
"Are you sure?"
Windows Update offered me IE7 today on my 'main' PC which I'm still using IE6 on!

People with fully automatic Windows Updates will find they have IE7 very soon...

Have any Freeola 'techies' been able to take a look at this, I started the post as it affects your MyFreeola and thought you might appreciate the info?!
Wed 01/11/06 at 21:38
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
According to one of the IE program managers, "FTP support should be unchanged from IE6".

However, he did mention that they came across a case where one web server violated the FTP spec, and hence the connections weren't working ... perhaps Freeola's servers also violate the spec?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.