GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mac Vs Windows"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/03/01 at 20:52
Regular
This was just bursting for a discussion so here we go. Windows, Microsoft's Key product, from Wondows 3.1 all the way to Microsoft 2000 ME. And What a way we have come, I use that royal we there as I daren't side with anyone in such a war as this, but regardless. Windows is happily used by loads of computer people worldwide, whther or not Bill Gates is sitting in his dungeon hacking in to your files is another matter, apart from the illegal operations and more errors that a rushed SR post windows customers seem to take it as normal and have never explored the world of Mac. The company with the cool computers. Mac are the life-line for all Windows haters and they are not just a name, they pack on hell of a punch with both their computers and software and cannot be taken for a (metaphorical) ride in my book!

I have Windows, I am not ashamed of that and although it does crash and there will be a legion of you who will despise me for succumbing to such a thing. I think that Windows is quite good, the functions and options are limitless and because of the internet being so Windows orientated, upgrades and patches for files and games are easy to come by.

Mac on the other hand doesn't quite have the same market share and although thier users are just as loyal, if not more the software and files aren't available in the same dominant presence as Microsoft's!

I don't prefer either, my Dad had Windows so that is the way it goes for me, I know '98 about aswell as your average hegdehog knows the Highway Code, but I am learning...But am I...or am I slowly falling into the trap!

Will Mac ever level up with Microsoft, I think that maybe people will get so suspicious about Microsoft's plans for the future,( including charging and getting credit card details from millions of MSN users,) that they might, just might see the light in the world of the Mac...

Your Thoughts...and Remember...

In a secret dungeon,
in the middle of a cliff,
amongst the spiders and poo,
There is an evil being lurking there
and HE is watching YOU!

The Game

Bwrrrrahahahahahahhaha

Sat 10/03/01 at 14:19
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Well it certainly looks like Mac are building their castle faster than expected and forget the console wars, what about the OS wars, is this Microsoft waving the white flag?, they could be soon!!! I just hope that Apple have a bigger presence in the Near Future, and hopefully take some of the market share away from Microsoft,...Not that I don't like MS it is just that I want to see more people making OS's and with MS in their current position and only MAC seriously challenging them other OS makers may not be too keen on taking up the sword!

The Game
Sat 10/03/01 at 10:34
Regular
"everyone says it"
'i still dont think that mac have done as well as Microsoft'

well not 5 years ago but then again who were Sony 5 years ago, Mac are simply the best at the moment, from the programs to the supporters, they have all the support,IBM favour them, all games are programmed on MAC's, TOY STORY is done on a MAC. ad now we have microsoft asking mac for deals, 'we will give you access to MSword for Appleworks. guess what the answer was: er-no!!!

Sat 10/03/01 at 10:26
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I knew you would spew out all that er-no, I am not saying it is rubbish, FAR from it, but I still don't think that Apple/Mac whatever you want to call them have done aswell as Microsoft. Silly Statement. I like Mac anyway, If my dad didn't have a Win PC I would probably look into getting one! But having said this, PC's although they maybe harder to work your way through, are easy to get the hand of to a certain extent, there is a period in time where you stop learning about the PC/OS because you don't use any other functions other than the ones you have been using for the last 6 months.

The Game
Sat 10/03/01 at 10:24
Regular
"everyone says it"
Mac dont need to hurry up as I said, they are currently making the most profit for any company in the world, would you cut that short if you ran mac, dont be stupid, mac are milking it and why blame them, they are milking it with the best!
Sat 10/03/01 at 10:20
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Would be funny, but by the time they looked down to do it they would have a head here and a leg or two over there. It's not just the files that are Mac orientated either but the PC peripherlas as well. Most of them work specifically for Windows, you often see 'designed for Microsoft Windows 98' and other slogans pushing A) the Product and B) Microsoft Windows, yet another advertising scheme from Microsoft...hurry up Mr. Mac Tick Tock...time is running out!

The Game
Sat 10/03/01 at 10:16
Regular
"everyone says it"
Most of you are saying that Windows is better then Mac OS, well then maybe I should air my views on both systems.
Mac have had rollarcoaster years in the past 15, and now are starting to get a massive grip on the PC market, there grip is 4X the sales of Microsoft applications (to give you a scale).
If you have a Mac are are fortunate, you have the best operating system in the world with MacOS 9.2 (free upgrade). Unlike windows where you have to buy everything for stupid prices. Mac users cant actually fuss and say that they need Windows to run a program or open a file, because macOS, 80% of the time will tell you exactly what the problem is, and if people say well I have an AMD 1.1 with Windows 2000, any mac user can say, I have an Indigo iMac with 450Mhz, with this spec on a mac its internal clock speed runs faster then any other, only really because its OS is so simple and doesn't take ages to open Photoshop. Mac OS doesn't hide files or uninstall extra pieces of applications when the user is uninstalling a game.

But here is when the Mac gets exciting, most windows users dont like Macs, but then again they probably haven't used one for more than 10mins, they say that Windows is superior to anything out there, but what do they say when I can tell then that any 'new' aged mac can run any WINDOWS OS as a PROGRAM, thats right a PROGRAM, the MAC OS is so advanced these days that it takes the correct files from the Windows CD and runs it as a program, how much does this cost well the program is called 'Virtual PC'. no longer have the days when PC users cry 'WHAT ABOUT THE GAMES' well then because of this £50 kit you play any PC game on your MAC which is running Windows.

Not only that but then there are the facts that facts that come into play, Windows crashes more, Windows has thousands more bugs, Windows has not as many programmers working for it anymore, no macromedia, quicktime is made by mac, flash is really a mac supported program, shockwave again is Mac, Adobe release anything first on the Mac, more games are being released on the mac, the mouse has one button and is so simple to use that it doesn't have a button!

I think that if the X-Box is successful (please no) then Microsoft won't be a PC company for very long, the Mac vs Gates competition is started and the fact is Mac are winning this war in Germany, USA, Japan and Canada but is slow to start in England.

If the Mac is not good then how come Bill Gates owns a Mac in his house and not a Windows based system. He says its because he likes to use others systems to get to grips with the competition. I say its because his company has nearly stolen every first idea that Mac had already had. The control strip was a demo on Mac 7 and microsoft then had a ALL NEW control strip a year later, I don't want to go into other crap so lets leave it at this:

Think Different? Think Mac,

Thanks for Reading
er-no

P.S The Game said that the advert was not successful, well then maybe a computer that sold out in millions and sold 1 every two seconds for 6 months in america isn't successful, who am I to tell you.
Sat 10/03/01 at 03:07
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> 2 and 3 button mouses are available for the Mac range and even if you have a one button mosue by pressing shift and clicking the mouse the computer recognises it as a click of the right hand button. <

Why not just make ALL their mouses 2 and 3 button ones? BTW, I love the concept of pressing shift and clicking the mouse to take into effect the right-hand button. Very funny. I'm trying to imagine someone playing Quake and having to do that. LOL. The concept is mind-boggling; I'd like a video that would allow me to see someone actually doing that.
Sat 10/03/01 at 01:17
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Another bonus of PC's is that you can often get Roms and Emulators. These let you replay all the classics of your childhood, the PC is great for a number of thing, including games, but as for efficiency, they have to take the silver!

The Game

I am on the third level of marble madness, the game is ace, actually being in control of the little marble is sooooo exhilerating...I hope we see Marble Madness Advanced!

The Game
Fri 09/03/01 at 23:37
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
The Game wrote:
> I just hope that Mac can shine
> through aswell leveling the playing field. But like I said that
> won't be easy if it is at all possible.

Ive never owned aMac... nor could I ever get comfortable with a single button mouse... but I hope Apples lifespan continues for a good few decades yet!

My Dad's colleague plays
> against the other staff in the office they all play Civ 3

Civ3! Wow!...

>Let's hope that Linux Give Microsoft a run
> for their...lots of money!

Microsoft has labelled Linux as WinNT's nu,ber 1 threat...

Which is why there currently attempting to make open source code illegal... (does that sound Third Reich-esq to any one else?)
Fri 09/03/01 at 23:32
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Yeah but with more and more companies nowadays getting telecommunications networks installed that may be a bigger issure than the ones in....well...The Big Issue, but all jokes a side. Internet Gaming and On-Line companies mean that Linux might see a lot more light in the coming years, I just hope that Mac can shine through aswell leveling the playing field. But like I said that won't be easy if it is at all possible.

My Dad's colleague plays against the other staff in the office they all play Civ 3 and quite enjoy it. And so if you Take Internet Gaming and Company Networks and then add them again, networking OS's could be in a higher demand in the very near future! Let's hope that Linux Give Microsoft a run for their...lots of money!

The Game

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.