GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IGN's attack on E3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 31/05/05 at 01:35
Regular
It is difficult to say that Nintendo had a good E3. Granted it isn't the end of the world. Hard to believe I know. But all major consoles had a rough time of it.

IGN stated that Sony "pretended" to have titles, even though there was nothing more than FMV and a title. In fact most of the time nothing more than the brief FMV shot of Samus at the Revolution unveilment.

But IGN's major worry was with the X-box 360. A console due out in 6 months had exactly 0 playable titles. Even the normal X-box had a disasterious turn out. At least Revolution is a way off yet. Granted Microsoft showed running demos, but from fear of a bad press microsoft only let celebs play the games. Because these celebs were paid to like it.

It looks like E3 was nothing special for any console, almost totally concentrating on hardware and the look of the system itself. Granted Nintendo showed the least without any demos. But Sony didn't show anything in game and Microsoft didn't show anything playable.

And they are the first 2 consoles for the next round.
Tue 31/05/05 at 01:35
Regular
It is difficult to say that Nintendo had a good E3. Granted it isn't the end of the world. Hard to believe I know. But all major consoles had a rough time of it.

IGN stated that Sony "pretended" to have titles, even though there was nothing more than FMV and a title. In fact most of the time nothing more than the brief FMV shot of Samus at the Revolution unveilment.

But IGN's major worry was with the X-box 360. A console due out in 6 months had exactly 0 playable titles. Even the normal X-box had a disasterious turn out. At least Revolution is a way off yet. Granted Microsoft showed running demos, but from fear of a bad press microsoft only let celebs play the games. Because these celebs were paid to like it.

It looks like E3 was nothing special for any console, almost totally concentrating on hardware and the look of the system itself. Granted Nintendo showed the least without any demos. But Sony didn't show anything in game and Microsoft didn't show anything playable.

And they are the first 2 consoles for the next round.
Tue 31/05/05 at 01:57
Regular
"thursdayton!"
I was told that the Killzone stuff was in-game with altered angles at first, before hearing it was indeed pre-rendered. Which is just misleading, especially when you look at the quality of the Getaway mock-up. It's pretty obvious PS3 launch-titles aren't going to look that good, so IGN are right (did I just type that?) for critising.
Tue 31/05/05 at 07:26
Regular
"Shoot-em-up freak"
I honestly didn't see why everyone was making such a big thing about the PS3, or the XBOX 360, cos they probably won't come out for ages, and all those games that were shown were probably just cranked up unrealistic graphics, that won't make an appearance for a good number of years
Tue 31/05/05 at 10:58
Regular
oh dear
Tue 31/05/05 at 13:58
Regular
"8==="
Launch titles are usually 90% fluff.

What IGN are missing is the fact that EA are releasing pretty much the same titles on Xbox and 360: so having played the Xbox version they've pretty much played the 360 version too.

At launch Xbox had Halo and shortly after Unreal and Mech Assault but that was about it (ok and a few sports games but meh). Even the DS launch was hardly sparkling and the PS2 one was 90% crap with 1 or 2 good titles.

Launches are generally poor. Games are rushed out and companies like Midway like to wait for the userbase to get bigger before they release a thing.

Same as usual.

Edit: Cube had AUF, LoW, Super Monkey Ball, Burnout and SSBM when I bought it about 5/6 months after release!
Tue 31/05/05 at 14:20
Regular
360 has a good line-up, just none of the fat Americans at E3 got to play the games

Boohoo! :'(
Tue 31/05/05 at 14:48
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Hedfix wrote:
> Edit: Cube had AUF, LoW, Super Monkey Ball, Burnout and SSBM when I
> bought it about 5/6 months after release!

I had (and still have) alot of Cube games from the release period. Luigi's Mansion, Monkey Ball, Smash Bros, Rogue Leader. Pikmin and Wave Race out about then too. Not too shabby a selection.
Tue 31/05/05 at 14:58
Regular
Cube release was awful.

I ended up buying crap like ISS2 and Luigi's Mansion for full price, just because there was absoloutly nothing else worth having.
Tue 31/05/05 at 15:03
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Ok, Luigi's Mansion was no Mario 64, but it was pretty fun while it lasted.
Tue 31/05/05 at 15:05
Regular
For £30 though it made me want to smash things.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.