GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Muddled thoughts on meaning(lessness)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/09/03 at 08:57
Regular
"If it doesn't make money then it ain't worth doing" - that's how this world gets you, but it isn't true, although sometimes it feels like it is.

Creativity, the imagination, making things up - for me, this is one of the best things about being alive. I have the capacity to create anything whatsoever. In principle, there is no limit.

But meaning is a slippery snake. It's hard to keep hold of it. No matter who you are, what you're doing, it's hard to keep meaning with you. There will always be moments when the sensations of irrelevance overwhelm.

Sometimes my creative-will explodes. Inspiration infects me and I find myself effortlessly grasping rainbows of glad ambition like I own them. Everything is easy. I can create with cornucopian zeal. I feel unstoppably abundant. I like that feeling.

But always on the horizon waits doubt, like an autumn, when the leaves fall and everything begins to wither. What was once brimming with meaning suddenly seems empty. What I once thought was special suddenly seems mediocre. I begin to question my creative ambitions and at that very moment, I stagnate. My once clear waters become muddied and a part of me is lost.

And so comes the grey time of aimless wandering; of searching for the unfindable. Meaning isn't there.

But, and there's always a "but", autumn is always followed by winter, and winter is always followed by spring, and luckily for my sanity, the rainbows of glad ambition always seem to return to the my skies, and once again I have the strength to express what is within.

But which will run out the winner in the end: meaning or meaningless? Does it rely on that thing called success? If so, I'm back to the initial sentence: "If it doesn't make money then it ain't worth doing"

-?-
Wed 24/09/03 at 18:10
Regular
i think that stinking-rich people don't have true hapiness. and i've got the solution - make animals happy!

animals like dogs and some species of birds are extremely passionate about their owners if they treat them well. for example, i have a rubbish day, then i go down to my tamest bird in the aviary, Alfie, and let him sit on my shoulder singing and resting his head on my cheek...
he makes me feel the most content person in the world, knowing he absolutely loves me for what i do for him, and it's highly amusing watching them 'socialize', well it seems that way sometimes....

*big sigh*
Wed 24/09/03 at 17:27
Regular
Yeah, I also get that a LOT.

It's not so much the money I think.
I find it the same with anything else I have enthusiasm for.
One moment it's fresh, new and exciting, you're inspired etc.
After a while it loses it's flair, lost it's spark, old news.

You basically get bored of it.

Now I know that my inspiration comes and goes, so when I get the bored empty feeling on whether it's worth it or not, I decide to do a part that is more technical, for instance in music, learning all the scales/chords that you use to create or in writing, researching something that might turn out useful, or might re-light the fire.

It's like Hedfix said, sometimes you need a break from it, an "absence makes the heart grow fonder" sort of thing... perhaps. :-)

(By the by Normad, remember how when we last spoke, I was raving about all these idea's I had for computer games? Well notice how they seemed to be forgotten about in this post? We all get bored of our old ideas eventually... sometimes rediscovering them years later! ;-) )
Wed 24/09/03 at 16:59
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Nomad Soul wrote:
>
> Sometimes my creative-will explodes. Inspiration infects me and I
> find myself effortlessly grasping rainbows of glad ambition like I
> own them. Everything is easy. I can create with cornucopian zeal. I
> feel unstoppably abundant. I like that feeling.
>
> But always on the horizon waits doubt, like an autumn, when the
> leaves fall and everything begins to wither. What was once brimming
> with meaning suddenly seems empty. What I once thought was special
> suddenly seems mediocre. I begin to question my creative ambitions
> and at that very moment, I stagnate. My once clear waters become
> muddied and a part of me is lost.

This is really well worded. I sometimes experience this feeling as well, and get the after effects that you describe. Very nice. Its good to know there are other people out there that understand the emotions that you feel and that you can relate to.
Wed 24/09/03 at 13:29
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Target a limping beggar
Pursue him without remorse
Lick up the entrails in his wake with your elephantine tongue
And sparkle like a wispy genie on the run from the prison lamp

also

Never loiter in dark alleyways
Or you'll be haunted by the reflections of the mocking moon
Wed 24/09/03 at 09:25
Regular
"8==="
If what you enjoy what you're creating then that is the most important thing.

If you start to doubt what you're creating, get a second opinion.

I write and make music on my computer, sometimes if you spend too much time on something it seems less worthwhile. The best thing to do is take a break and come back to it later rather than carrying on with it.

Taking a break allows you to come back and tackle things from a fresh perspective plus while you're doing something else inspiration may strike and have you running back to what you left. :)
Wed 24/09/03 at 08:57
Regular
"If it doesn't make money then it ain't worth doing" - that's how this world gets you, but it isn't true, although sometimes it feels like it is.

Creativity, the imagination, making things up - for me, this is one of the best things about being alive. I have the capacity to create anything whatsoever. In principle, there is no limit.

But meaning is a slippery snake. It's hard to keep hold of it. No matter who you are, what you're doing, it's hard to keep meaning with you. There will always be moments when the sensations of irrelevance overwhelm.

Sometimes my creative-will explodes. Inspiration infects me and I find myself effortlessly grasping rainbows of glad ambition like I own them. Everything is easy. I can create with cornucopian zeal. I feel unstoppably abundant. I like that feeling.

But always on the horizon waits doubt, like an autumn, when the leaves fall and everything begins to wither. What was once brimming with meaning suddenly seems empty. What I once thought was special suddenly seems mediocre. I begin to question my creative ambitions and at that very moment, I stagnate. My once clear waters become muddied and a part of me is lost.

And so comes the grey time of aimless wandering; of searching for the unfindable. Meaning isn't there.

But, and there's always a "but", autumn is always followed by winter, and winter is always followed by spring, and luckily for my sanity, the rainbows of glad ambition always seem to return to the my skies, and once again I have the strength to express what is within.

But which will run out the winner in the end: meaning or meaningless? Does it rely on that thing called success? If so, I'm back to the initial sentence: "If it doesn't make money then it ain't worth doing"

-?-

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.