GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MSN Chat to close it's doors..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/09/03 at 06:44
Regular
"Computer giant Microsoft is to close the majority of its internet chatrooms to stop paedophiles praying on children.

It will axe all its chatrooms run by its MSN websites in 34 countries in an attempt to prevent paedophiles using the web to groom victims.

Other chatrooms accessible using MSN will be more tightly monitored or operate on a subsciption-only basis.

It comes after a recent survey of 9 to 16-year-olds that 20% are regular users of internet chatrooms, 25% have requested a meeting with someone they have met in a chatroom and 10% admit they have actually gone on to meet up with a stranger.

The company also hopes the move will combat spam emails.

Companies are known to collect email addresses from those visiting chatrooms which they use to send what are often x-rated adverts.

Matt Whittingham, head of customer satisfaction at MSN UK, said: "Most people treat this type of service with respect but we have found that chatrooms - and not only ours - are increasingly being used for inappropriate communications.

"Many of those using chatrooms are young and interested in sex and going out.

"Unfortunately we know paedophiles have exploited this and the freedom they get from chatrooms to target children.

"We have had enough of our services being used in this way which is why we have decided to close those which are free and not monitored."

MSN will shut its free, unmoderated Chat services around the globe on October 14.

A service will continue for free in New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, Canada and Japan but the contents of the chatrooms will be monitored.

The US will run a subscription-only service which requires users to disclose their credit card details."

Credit :: Sky News

I've used MSN Chat before, don't really see why it has to go. If parents don't want to monitor their child's Internet usage, it's up to them. And if the children talk to paedophiles and arrange to meet up; again, they shouldn't be allowed online and their parents should know that. But, if it clamps down on the whole paedophilia (is that a word?) stuff then good, I hope it is successful. But I can't see it working. MSN Chat isn't as personal as MSN Messenger, basically, lots of people with random usernames are sitting behind their monitors talking to people. It's harder to tell the persons age, sex and most importantly of all, their location. Unless of course, they tell the person they are talking to. Hmmm...

Discuss...
Thu 25/09/03 at 17:31
"The Will of D."
Excatly what I said, MSN messenger is NOT, I repeat NOT closing. It's the only safe device MSN has other than Hotmail.
Thu 25/09/03 at 16:33
Regular
No thats totally different and private you add,delete who you want.
Thu 25/09/03 at 16:17
Regular
Psst by the way, nothing is being done about msn messenger is it?
Thu 25/09/03 at 16:15
Regular
"And if the children talk to paedophiles and arrange to meet up; again, they shouldn't be allowed online "

You DO realise that paedophiles dont say, "Hi, I am a paedophile - can I take advantage of your young supple body for my perverse cravings?" - they are sly like badgers with nightvision goggles.

Of course the paedophiles only attract those stupid enough to meet someone from the internet or those who are extremely unhappy with their lives and want a change but yet again the wrong-doers have ruined something good for everyone.
Thu 25/09/03 at 13:42
Regular
I havent used msn chat in my life.. but my parents call messenger like its some dodgy phone chat line.
Thu 25/09/03 at 08:49
"Worf son of mogue"
Memorandum! wrote:
> How dare paedophiles pray?! They go against God's laws!
>
> *groan*
>
> I try, I really do.

try to what? pray?
Thu 25/09/03 at 02:27
Regular
Saw*
Thu 25/09/03 at 02:26
Regular
So an article in the paper but the shot they put next to it is of MSN messenger not chat! Idiotic media.
Wed 24/09/03 at 20:07
"period drama"
TGMbloke wrote:
> FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Another 42% is Messenger, though. Which will still be going.
> Of course they would shut Messenger down - it's all part of
> Microsoft's brain-washing campaign.
> And you've all been sucked in.
>
> Its not true! OK, So I use their OS, Messenger, website, mice, media
> player, office and progarm in their language. And perhaps I learnt
> GCSE IT (The MS Test) and may attand Cambridge with a bit of
> luck...even if Bill Gates does own part of it.
>
> So what. Now excuse me while I play my XBOX.

XBOX = Xploring Brain Operating X-(cross)-over

Huh?
HUH?

You know it's true.

And I know I want one.
*shakes fist*
Wed 24/09/03 at 20:05
"The Will of D."
Read this:

"From October, UK MSN users will only be able to chat through their instant messaging program (IM), MSN Messenger.

MSN claim it is a much safer chat technology because chatters can restrict and control who they talk to.

Users chat to people on their "buddy lists" and permission to be a "buddy" needs to be granted.

Requests can only be made if users know the other's e-mail address, says MSN, which means most children only have "buddies" who they know outside the internet."

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.