GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Cuse Me?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/02/01 at 14:23
Regular
The X-box was always going to be the foremost contender for Nintendo Basher of the Year. What with Sony quietly slipping away, and Sega bailing out, the battlefield has been left clear for the most intense war that anyone will have ever witnessed. The only thing is, Microsoft is not experienced in the console market, and already, before the X-Box is even released, it's beggining to show. Bill Gates recently unveiled the final design (so that means it'll change another 6 times before release) for the X shaped Box. The control pad was, well... to be blunt a blatent rip off. In fact a certain website posted a "Make your own X-Box" game, which consisted of stealing bits off other controllers, until you ended up with a collage made of GameCube and Dreamcast pads.

But that was expected right? The word Microsoft isn't exactly synonymous with innovation - more like borrowing and improving, or to be more accurate, cunningly creating an exclusive mass-market. Microsoft and indeed Bill Gates has NO idea what Nintendo is up to, and this has forced him yo have a direct dig at GCs specs. On the X-Boxs official site (www.xbox.com) You can veiw a chart of the X-Boxs specs compared to the PS2 and GCs.

If you look you can clearly see, it doesn't paint a pretty picture for Nintendo, or rather it wouldn't if it was based on in-game comparisons. It's common sense that you can't directly compare two machines that are completly different. Every machine works differently, so the fact that one console has a larger number than the other means nothing.

So, it looks like Microsoft have finally realised that they can't even begin to rival Sonys and Nintendos expertise and thats why they've decided to try and bury it's competing consoles with specs. Come on Microsoft it's not the specs that people care about, it's the games.
Mon 26/02/01 at 14:23
The X-box was always going to be the foremost contender for Nintendo Basher of the Year. What with Sony quietly slipping away, and Sega bailing out, the battlefield has been left clear for the most intense war that anyone will have ever witnessed. The only thing is, Microsoft is not experienced in the console market, and already, before the X-Box is even released, it's beggining to show. Bill Gates recently unveiled the final design (so that means it'll change another 6 times before release) for the X shaped Box. The control pad was, well... to be blunt a blatent rip off. In fact a certain website posted a "Make your own X-Box" game, which consisted of stealing bits off other controllers, until you ended up with a collage made of GameCube and Dreamcast pads.

But that was expected right? The word Microsoft isn't exactly synonymous with innovation - more like borrowing and improving, or to be more accurate, cunningly creating an exclusive mass-market. Microsoft and indeed Bill Gates has NO idea what Nintendo is up to, and this has forced him yo have a direct dig at GCs specs. On the X-Boxs official site (www.xbox.com) You can veiw a chart of the X-Boxs specs compared to the PS2 and GCs.

If you look you can clearly see, it doesn't paint a pretty picture for Nintendo, or rather it wouldn't if it was based on in-game comparisons. It's common sense that you can't directly compare two machines that are completly different. Every machine works differently, so the fact that one console has a larger number than the other means nothing.

So, it looks like Microsoft have finally realised that they can't even begin to rival Sonys and Nintendos expertise and thats why they've decided to try and bury it's competing consoles with specs. Come on Microsoft it's not the specs that people care about, it's the games.
Mon 26/02/01 at 17:38
Regular
"You've upset me"
This is a point that I have been trying to make for about the last month! And you've just put it perfectly. Well done azz.

Your completley right, the GP (general public) don't really care that much about how much power the machines got, they care about the games that they can play on it.
Mon 26/02/01 at 17:41
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Specs. are still important for the developers, it tells them what the limitations of particular console is, and the X-Box specs. cannot fail to appeal to developers, that's why so many have already signed up to develop for the new machine.

As for the controller, MS have to borrow bits and bobs from other controllers, what good is a controller without buttons and a D-Pad and an ergonomic design? It's a bit like saying the pinched the rectangular shape from Sony or Nintendo, or the colour from Allied Carpets.

It's what is INSIDE that counts, the exterior and peripherals don't really matter to gamers, it's how they all interract together as a single unit.

Ultimately, the software will be the indicator of whether or not the X-Box will flop or fail.

Don't forget, when Sony entered the market to compete against Sega and Nintendo, they had no experience in the games industry either, and look what they did?

Microsoft and the X-Box are huge compared to Sony, just think what they are capable of, and you'll see that they could quite easily dominate the games industry within 12 months if they get it right first time.

It's a big IF, though.
Mon 26/02/01 at 17:42
Regular
And it leaves people like the nice folks at IGNGC trying to clear the Gamecubes name...

You see, the structure of the Pentium 3 processor makes it much slower in reality that the number it presents, and as because the IBM chip in the Gamecube works perfectly in harmony with the memory and so on, the consoles are near enough the same speed, with the X-Box faster in some departments, and the Gamecube faster in others.
Mon 26/02/01 at 17:45
Regular
125 million polys a sec?

Yeah right... what ever you say Bill...
Mon 26/02/01 at 17:46
Regular
"You've upset me"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> 125 million polys a sec?

Yeah right... what ever you say Bill...

hehehe, I notcied that. fool
Mon 26/02/01 at 18:09
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Polygons schmolygons, does it really matter?

Are you actually going to sit there and count them? I think not.

FM: Defending the X-Box since inception.
Mon 26/02/01 at 19:09
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually, the xbox is the best built console by far. It is v. easy to program for, using microsoft's expertise in making console operating systems (They made the DC's remember!). The archetecture is a exceptioanlly easy to program for too... taking the best bits from the DC and PCs and mixing them.

And what's this about no experience. I remember Sony having the same problems... remember they have only had one console before- and that was a distaster wasn't it!

SonicRav
Mon 26/02/01 at 21:45
Regular
"everyone says it"
Heu guys if the X box has a Pentium chip inside it that means the console will be making a lot of noise, if it has a new pentium chip in it then Microsoft better act fast as the new chips run slower then the pentium II's!
It was a news thing that the asscessories the chip ran with would slow it down and altough the chip can run at this speed it never will!!

WIll this happen with the spec-churning, noise-making console the X-Box? I HOPE SO!! COSE I HATE MICROSOFT!!
Mon 26/02/01 at 21:50
Regular
The X-Box is easy to program for because it uses Direct-X, which is well known.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.