GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EDUCATION GAMING!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/02/01 at 11:35
Regular
Don't let the title put you off on this one, but my idea is that in the future children should be taught through computer games!

Now I am not saying that it should involve everything, but I have been there through the school days, all it was, was boring old teachers talking about=

"If Grix had 6 gameaday wins, and SHEEPY had 4 how many would SHEEPY need to be equal?" - BORING!

Now here is the idea, children have computers to help them learn! Have computer games in school that do stuff like shoot five spaceships down! place the objects in their category by using a crane or something!

Now I know most of you are saying that they have these kinda programs out, BUT they do not use them in schools! I should know I was deprived as a young child at primary school, I was allowed to go on an apple mac computer once every three months!

So this idea will make the kids excited about going to school, cause they get to play computer games BUT at the same time they are learning in some way! I am telling you this would brighten up the kids days and could make them learn better!

I should become Education Minister SHEEPY! thanks for reading!
Mon 26/02/01 at 19:37
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I am telling you, I was debrived at primary school I only ever got to use and apple mac about 3 times in a year to use some old software!
Mon 26/02/01 at 19:35
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
and your games collection, no doubt... :-)
Mon 26/02/01 at 19:32
Regular
Oh yeah, my literacy skills have improved greatly. My imagination has also increased, mainly because of the amount of imaginative writing I do on the site.
Mon 26/02/01 at 19:28
"possibly impossible"
Kind of related is the fact that this discussion forum helps with descriptive writing and expression, as well as giving people a good excuse to practice their typing and writing skills generally.

Teachers, I'm sure, would be delighted to hear about their students using this site (if they realised what it was about, but so many teachers have a lack of understanding about IT, even today) and they may even be suprised at who in their class was actually communicating every day with the written word, because they want to!

Speaking from experience, it's good to encourage children and teenagers to use the internet at school for fun stuff as well as educational content. It encourages them to learn about computers and children always learn better when they are enjoying the learning experience.

This ties in with your educational gaming topic, it certainly works for the really young learners, with nursery games selling really well and for the most part being well made, but it's difficult to create a more grown up educational game without being too condisending to the audience. We always used BBC micros in maths class, with pretty basic software, but they were always fun.

I recall that we actually sneaked in a load of games too, as maths was just before lunch. Elite and Galaxians were two that I remember well.
Mon 26/02/01 at 17:26
Regular
"Death by Exponential Function" is one I'd like to see, being mathematically minded.

"Quadratic Formula 1" is a good racer title too.
Mon 26/02/01 at 17:24
Regular
There was a game a while back where you controlled a knight, who had to jump across platforms, and jump on enemies to "knock them out", and at the end you had to face the "teacher" and answer quite difficult but educational questions to be able to go to the next level...

What was so good about it was the fact that the levels were superbly designed, and were great fun to play! There were little powerups, and hidden rooms. Great fun.

Another educational game, in a way, is Typing Of The Dead. It teaches you to type, quite fast, I expect... :D
Mon 26/02/01 at 17:20
Regular
"Excommunicated"
sorry FM did not know you had already gone over this!

but I believe that what I wrote should come true!

Education Minister SHEEPY
Mon 26/02/01 at 17:00
Regular
This is one of my pet topics, Sheepy, and I agree, a lot more could be done with software games to make it more educational.

Take any RPG, and instead of moving a block to find a lever to pull to open a door to enter a castle, why not have a math's puzzle, or a formula to solve, or something like that?

Final Fantasy VIII starts off in a classroom, teaching you all about your surroundings with tips on how the game works and how to develop your character, why not use that environment to teach you REAL history, biology, IT and so on.

There's nothing to stop this happening, it's just profit motive by the developers that is holding it back.

If they did produce a game like that, from looking at the posts here they'd be well advised to leave the word 'educational' out of the product description.
Mon 26/02/01 at 16:54
Regular
look sheepy all this topic cloning everyday and the gay stroies are stupid.
Mon 26/02/01 at 16:53
Regular
"Excommunicated"
SNIPER wrote:
> Sheepy heard this all before you know.

When, well I don't copy if that is what you are suggesting!

Anyway you know all about coping don't you SNIPER :P

POWER OF THE SHEEP

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.