GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Browser problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/06/09 at 14:44
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
A problem that is driving me 'nuts' at the moment and any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Using either IE7 or Firefox the following scenario occurs:

Starting either browser, access is quick. Browsing the net, back and forth, when suddenly pages won't load. No way no how. Close either browser and then try again and it is as if no browser exists. The only way to continue browsing is to re-start the machine.

Has been happening now for about a week. Nothing appears to have been changed or installed during this period of time.

Suspected Nod32v4 as it has already played havoc with email, but no. It doesn't appear to be Zone Alarm either. Have reset IE a number of times.

Running Vista64, Quad core.

Any ideas?
Sat 06/06/09 at 14:44
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
A problem that is driving me 'nuts' at the moment and any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Using either IE7 or Firefox the following scenario occurs:

Starting either browser, access is quick. Browsing the net, back and forth, when suddenly pages won't load. No way no how. Close either browser and then try again and it is as if no browser exists. The only way to continue browsing is to re-start the machine.

Has been happening now for about a week. Nothing appears to have been changed or installed during this period of time.

Suspected Nod32v4 as it has already played havoc with email, but no. It doesn't appear to be Zone Alarm either. Have reset IE a number of times.

Running Vista64, Quad core.

Any ideas?
Sun 07/06/09 at 13:44
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Not much I know about browsers to be honest and that sounds like a weird old problem.

If it was happening on the one browser I'd advise to try another or re-install completely, but.....

I'll have an ask around and see what I can find out, but hopefully Hmmm... or someone more techy will come along.
Sun 07/06/09 at 15:09
"Are you sure?"
Hi DL,
If it was just the one browser I would say it could be malware - but for two to do the same maybe not.

Anything interesting happening in Task Manager?

I would also try testing things with your firewall and anti-virus turned off. Zone Alarm can do some very strange things!

When the problem occurs can you bring a command prompt up and ping a website to see if the PC is still communicating?

You could also try a Windows Restore back a couple of weeks before the problem started to happen to see if the situation changes.

EDIT:
Here's a Zone Alarm thread which could be similar to yours...

Search Freeola Chat
Sun 07/06/09 at 15:24
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Ha ha I had just found that site too Hmm..

Anyway yeah seems like that will be the issue. Seems too coincidental that the user has exact same system and issues...

So yeah hopefully that will sort it out. Let us know! :D
Sun 07/06/09 at 15:29
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
> Hi DL,
> If it was just the one browser I would say it could be malware -
> but for two to do the same maybe not.
>
> Anything interesting happening in Task Manager?
>
> I would also try testing things with your firewall and
> anti-virus turned off. Zone Alarm can do some very strange
> things!
>
> When the problem occurs can you bring a command prompt up and
> ping a website to see if the PC is still communicating?
>
> You could also try a Windows Restore back a couple of weeks
> before the problem started to happen to see if the situation
> changes.

Hi Hmmm, Task Manager reveals 2 instances of iexplorer and 1 ieuser*32 - under no circumstances can you end these processes.

Internet connection is live and kicking all the time this problem is happening - that's why I find it so odd!

Thought about a system restore but would rather try and solve problem once and for all. Not really that happy with Vista64, XP never gave me any problems :-)

(Zone Alarm is Zone Alarm Pro, not free edition)

Thanks for the ideas Hmmm and Warhunt, but everything I've read in that thread doesn't solve the problem - everything suggested is as it should be or as is suggested :-)
Sun 07/06/09 at 15:55
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Dragonlance:
"Starting either browser, access is quick. Browsing the net,
back and forth, when suddenly pages won't load. No way no
how. Close either browser and then try again and it is as if no
browser exists. The only way to continue browsing is to re-start
the machine
".

When this happens, can you get any response if you use the ping command? Click "Start", then "Run" and type in CMD, and try ping www.bbc.co.uk.

My neighbour had this issue for some time, and it turned out to be the ISP (Orange) had faulty equipment / settings that caused his connection to time out / be blocked in a similar manor. Have you talked to your ISP??
Sun 07/06/09 at 17:01
"Are you sure?"
cjh wrote:
> When this happens, can you get any response if you use
> the ping command? Click "Start", then
> "Run" and type in CMD, and try ping
> www.bbc.co.uk

That's what I said! :¬P
"When the problem occurs can you bring a command prompt up and ping a website to see if the PC is still communicating?

NB. I think www.bbc.co.uk is blocked these days - try bbc.co.uk or ping any other known website.

Search Freeola Chat
Sun 07/06/09 at 17:03
"Are you sure?"
Dragonlance wrote:
> ...Zone Alarm is Zone Alarm Pro, not free edition...

My suggestion would still be to test with Zone Alarm out of the equation - free or pro!

Search Freeola Chat
Sun 07/06/09 at 17:49
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
> Dragonlance wrote:
> ...Zone Alarm is Zone Alarm Pro, not free edition...
>
>
> My suggestion would still be to test with Zone Alarm out of the
> equation - free or pro!

Sorry about the delay, but was in the process of describing a 'null' ping test to bbc.co.uk when ...... pear shape!

Have now totally blitzed router and here we are again. Number One son is happy now, wireless working again. But that is the strange thing - that always worked - as did direct links from individual programs - except Steam, which seems to be stuck at 27% update forever.

I'll try another ping test......

This is now strange, ping test to bbc.co.uk, before 'bombing' returned four packets lost! Now....all OK with 4 packs sent and received at the speed of light....good job I'm going on holiday soon!!! :-D

PS @ cjh....ISP is Freeola.....you can draw your own conclusions...:-)

The saga continues,,,,Steam update sticks at 27% completed on every attempt. Searched Steam support and find that AVG and ESET are recommended to be uninstalled before Steam is run! I've been running Steam and ESET with no problems for 6 weeks and now this advice seems to fall into place...just uninstalled ESET and Steam has updated as quick as you like!!! There is something not quite right here Hmmm....

Star Date 22.20

Re-start necessary to add to this post.....Accessed a few sites and then returned to Freeola Chat...moving between posts...freeze..there are one or two script problems here....

Star Date 22.23 Logging out before I freeze....

Additional information: ESET v3 now uninstalled and replaced with AVG at the moment. Not happy about ESET full stop. Had email problems with ESET v4 and ESET have now admitted that there is a 'conflict' with Zone Alarm, after admitting that there was a problem with Thunderbird which they claim to have fixed. I reverted to V3 and now this seems to be the culprit again. Have run ESET on both XP and Vista64 - neither v3 or v4 work happily. The only version which seems to be at home with any OS is v2.7. It's ok running a 'recommended' anti-virus and one that requires a purchased licence, but it's not ok when it causes conflicts and problems. Ok, you may argue, it works for most people - that isn't the case - it should work within any environment. In the case of ESET v3 and the new v4, what have they done - v4 download is nearly twice the size of v3!

After that 'rant' IE7 now seems to be behaving :-)
Thu 11/06/09 at 21:18
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Update:

Too many variables have made it hard to pin point the cause of the problem. However, a reinstallation of IE8, quickly followed by 10 Vista updates seem to have helped.

ESET no longer used as anti-virus, AVG in its place for the time being.

All network areas have been checked and I have just completed resetting winsock2 and hosts file..as per Microsoft recommendations. All seems well. Surprised how helpful Microsofts on-line service is these days.

Spoke with Freeola techies recently - brilliant support and we agreed that it was software and not a broadband issue.
However I did make comment about a recent check using interconnect regarding pipe status and usage. I discovered that I had been cited as a highband width user last Sunday!!! I find this hard to believe as my total usage over the last 17 days is 9.44 Gb - an average of 0.55 Gb per day, including the Sunday in question! Freeola staff couldn't make comment about enta's 'banding' and did find it equally puzzling.

Maybe Hmmm could shed some light on this?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.