GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows XP question."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/08/03 at 09:20
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Ok, a quickie.

You know when you reinstall an O/S you usually format the C drive and just start again.......

How do you do it with WIndows XP?
(Yes, I realise the "format the drive and set PC to boot from CD etc etc" part).

The reason I ask is that XP has this activation code...... surely if I format my hard disk and reinstall a fresh copy of XP, its going to complain that the activation code is already in use?????

Do you have to go to Microsofts website and disable your code or something first?

Many thanks for any help - if someone has actually done this before, I'd appreciate your advice.
Thu 28/08/03 at 15:15
Regular
"Not your monkey"
I'm guessing that ringing them will indeed be what I end up doing.

Just a pain in the bum to be honest!

Thanks for all replies though, everyone
Thu 28/08/03 at 12:51
Regular
"relocated"
I think it should work. You might have to phone them and get the code manually updated, but there should only be a problem if you then phone back the next week and ask to have your old setup activated again because they're trying to stop people from 'abusing' the software license. Personally I think that this is a load of old crap because if, say, you own a laptop and a desktop PC then you should have the right to use the software you bought on both machines.

If it doesn't work then you are almost morally obliged to use a pirated copy of XP.
Thu 28/08/03 at 11:19
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Miserableman wrote:
> Try it and see

Genius ;-)
Thu 28/08/03 at 11:13
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Try it and see
Thu 28/08/03 at 10:51
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
See what you mean, don't know I'm afraid, how about phoning SR and asking them or another retailer with good PC knowledge, or try posting a question for Snuggly etc. in the Customer Service Forum.

Blooming Microsoft eh
Thu 28/08/03 at 10:34
Regular
"Not your monkey"
From what I remember (i installed it a while ago) you are given a serial code as with 98. When you install, you enter that code and it then goes online and 'activates' with Microsoft - without doing that, you only have about 30 days to use it.

I built a new PC and want to use XP on that computer, rather than the old one. I tried just pulling the hard disk out and swapping it, just to see if XP could sort out the new hardware by itself.

Unfortunately, I forgot about XP's WPA thing which makes sure that you cannot pirate it very easily. It generates a unique(ish) number from anout 6 of your pieces of hardware. If you swap PC's therefore, it assumes something is wrong (due all the hardware changes) and will not boot.

Because of this, need to reinstall XP on my new machine - the problem I have is that when doing this, it is likely that I will not be able to activate it as I have already activated using my old PC. I.e. I'll only get about 30 days usage time out of the thing, and wont be able to upgrade etc. Which is gay, esp when there are Blaster virus things going round which you kinda need protection from!
Thu 28/08/03 at 10:02
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Do you mean the serial number you have to enter upon installing or is the activation code something different ?

I see what you mean though, friend of mine has copied version of XP and can't update it at all, because he is using a serial number that he got off Kazaa and has probably been registered a million times over.

Your question must be a common question though and prehaps Turbo or someone knows.
Thu 28/08/03 at 09:20
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Ok, a quickie.

You know when you reinstall an O/S you usually format the C drive and just start again.......

How do you do it with WIndows XP?
(Yes, I realise the "format the drive and set PC to boot from CD etc etc" part).

The reason I ask is that XP has this activation code...... surely if I format my hard disk and reinstall a fresh copy of XP, its going to complain that the activation code is already in use?????

Do you have to go to Microsofts website and disable your code or something first?

Many thanks for any help - if someone has actually done this before, I'd appreciate your advice.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.