GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube Pre-Order Great...But!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/02/01 at 21:20
Regular
Like everything else Nintendo do are they leaving it too late? I mean the N64 took 2nd place to the PSX because, althoughthe main reason was games, it was out second and people were ready for a new console about 1 year before it was released so the money was there. I just think that although Nintendo are planning well theie dead lines will suffer because of it! I don'twant them to fail but I think that they could see another N64 path here and if it goes that way then only the rumored cheap prices and the GBA link up will save them!

-R:X-
Fri 01/06/01 at 10:24
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Sony already have a massive PS2 user base. I think its over 10 million, maybe someone knows a closer figure. So the GC wont blow the PS2 out of the water as with a massive user base already the GC will have to try very hard.

By the time the GC comes out PS2 will have its great games e.g. Final Fantasy 10, MGS2, Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry, Wipeout Fusion, Smackdown 3, The Getaway e.t.c and of cousre the great games comming out in a month or so e.g Redfaction, GT3, Onimushua e.t.c

The GC will do well, I want one. I dont know about the X-Box yet.

MJserve wrote:
With cheap prices expected I believe that the Game Cube will blow the PS2 right out of the water and back to working on their new console. This has been rumoured to be released as early as the end of 2002 but more likely 2005. This is not very long so I believe that they are not confident about the PS2 bneing as big as some people believe

I doubt Sony will release a new console just yet. They are working on a new console, even Nintendo will be working on the next console after the GameCube. It takes many years of planning, research and development to get a console out on the market.

About a 2 years before release(maybe more or less), game developers know what the console can do they will have a more or less finished console in there hands. The development kits will have been handed out and developers work on the games that appear at launch. Sony are working on another console as PS2 was released March 2000 in Japan. Sony will be thinking and making research about new technolgy that will be avaiable to them. They will be designing the sytem with technolgy that seems to advanced for us now. They will build many prototypes and test the system out. They will get developers to come in and program some demos in. They will then pick a design, make the choices for hardware e.t.c then they will announce the console maybe in 2003 but then itwill take another 2 years for use to reach us.

Nintendo havent release the GameCube yet so they may not be working on another console right now but soon they will.

Think back to one people first hear about a console. I remember having a SNES for christmas, I bought a magazine and it had a feature about the N64, this was the first time I had heard of it but I bet there were news about it months before this. Over 2 years later the console hit the streets of the UK.
Thu 31/05/01 at 20:16
"possibly impossible"
Sega released the Dreamcast before Sony released the PS2 and look what has happened to that.

There is so much that a console firm can do to ensure the success of their console, and delivering it at a certain time is only a small part of the strategy. It's more of a case of what part of the year to launch the console, depending on when most people have more money and are more likely to buy a console (i.e. just before Christmas)

But there is also advertising, price point, perception from the consumer, company name, software available at launch and software promised for the machine. That's not an exhaustive list either, there are many more factors that Nintendo are well aware of and will try to incorporate into their selling of the new machine.

I personally hope it all goes well, as Nintendo are a big part of the gaming world and just the thought of them and Sega together is wonderful in itself.
Thu 31/05/01 at 19:44
Regular
"You've upset me"
MJswerve wrote:
> Paragraphs are vot worth using so I wont use them.

They are worth, they make your post look readable and makes it not sore on the eyes.
Thu 31/05/01 at 19:41
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Paragraphs are vot worth using so I wont use them.
Thu 31/05/01 at 18:16
exactly thats why it has the advantage because it is coming out after the ps2!
Thu 31/05/01 at 18:13
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Everyone says the GC is better than the PS2 but you seem to neglecting that:

a) It isn't. They are virtually the same.

and

b) It comes out nearly 2 years after the PS2.
Thu 31/05/01 at 18:10
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Paragraphs or else I hurt you.
Thu 31/05/01 at 13:16
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
What do you mean Nintendo have left it to long. They know what they are doing and so do I. They have been slowly showing people more and more about the Gamcube but each time leaving you wanting to know more. Take last years Spaceworld. No real Games were shown only demos. But we had to await this months e3 which blew everyone away showing stack of release games all top quality no duds. Unfortunately they also anounced a release dat slip. Mind you they timed it brilliantly as they had just shown games everyone now wants to own and r probably willing to wait for. With cheap prices expected I believe that the Game Cube will blow the PS2 right out of the water and back to working on their new console. This has been rumoured to be released as early as the end of 2002 but more likely 2005. This is not very long so I believe that they are not confident about the PS2 bneing as big as some people believe. The GameCube is all about quality games and thats what everyone wants and what the Playstation 2 is missing.A lack of units on english release frustrated everyone and nomone I knew who bought on was completely happy with it as it did not work correctly. Yhis wa mainly due to sony rushing the release probably in an attempt to steal a head start in the 128 bit console wars. They have managed to kill off sega, but this has made sega go back to what they do best and make quality games for all of the formats which I am sure everyone is happy about. The x-box is in desperate need of confidence from Japan as this is were all of the big developers are based. SquareSoft will be a big part of the x-box if they can convince them to get aboard the x-box train. Mind you if they make something for the x-box like the bouncer I am not sure people will hang around and the audience it is aimed at(people with pcs who think consoles r rubbish)will run back to their pentium 4 powered shrines and get back to playing counter strike online. Microsoft are making a good move with the latest news that they are redesigning the controller slightly by repositioning and making the pad smaller. Mind you I dont really have many thoughts about the 128 bit revolution as I am more than happy with my trusty N64.
Thu 31/05/01 at 00:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It is uncertain as to who will win this round, if they'll be a winner at all or even if their should be a winner.

The two machines are equally matched and both should live side by side in peace and harmony. One thing's for certain, they'll both be sitting on the front row!

(I just realised, this could be taken the wrong way. I'm talking about the PS2 and GameCube.)
Wed 30/05/01 at 23:22
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
fitz wrote:
> I think that the gamecube will take a back seat

Heh, I am sure it wont!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.